Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do you keep track of what line is on what spool?

I've had this issue with fly fishing leaders, and some fly lines too over the years. At least with fly leaders they make a gauge to where you can check thickness to see what it is. And newer fly lines have the info laser etched right into them. I still use a small piece of masking tape on the inside of the reel to write down what it is.

Now that I'm beginning to develop quite a collection of conventional fishing tackle, it's becoming a problem remembering what like I have on various reels. How do you all keep it straight? Just better memory than me (which is entirely possible)?
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

2. Member

Try this

Go to a store that sells Electrical supplies and buy a small booklet of the markers electricians use to identify circuits. It's about the size of a pocket notebook and has numbers on small square tearoff tabs. These tearoffs are about 1/8" square and can be easily placed on the side of your reel where they won't get rubbed off. There are enough in one small book to last you many years.

3. Member
    I bought a label maker and printed small labels with things liked 12F for 12 lb fluoro or 14M for 14 lb mono. Then stick those labels under the gear housing on the reel.

You can also just use small pieces of duct tape and write on them and stick them on the same spot.

4. Member
    I don't understand how you guys get those small pieces of masking tape or labels to stay stuck. I tried a few different ways and a rainy or humid day leaves them all in my boat. As weird as it sounds I actually just keep a spreadsheet of what line I have on which setup and most importantly when I put the new line on. It works for me.

5. Member
    Easiest thing is just reduce your line choices. Something like 6, 12, 20 makes it easy to tell what is where and covers the majority of baits.

Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    I bought a label maker and printed small labels with things liked 12F for 12 lb fluoro or 14M for 14 lb mono. Then stick those labels under the gear housing on the reel.
    This.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

7. Member
    black marker on reel

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    Easiest thing is just reduce your line choices. Something like 6, 12, 20 makes it easy to tell what is where and covers the majority of baits.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

9. Member
    I use 2 different mono sizes. 8# and 12#. I always buy green Trilene XL in 8# test. I buy the clear Trilene XL for my 12# test. So it is real easy for me to figure out what line is on what reel. I have never felt that line color is a major factor.

Ob my braid casting rigs, I always use 14# Fluorocarbon as my leader material. Easy Peasy!
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

Office Depot type places should still have small rectangular stickers about 1/4" x 1/2". I put one on the spool of a spinning reel or on the side plate of a baitcaster. If you need to clean a spot for it, Naptha is a good choice, as it won't damage any kind of paint I know of. Write on the sticker with one of those ultra-fine point pens. Code helps. I used "10 SST" or "8 Exc" in years past, but could use "12CXX" or "10FC", etc. these days.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

11. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sbassin22 View Post
    As weird as it sounds I actually just keep a spreadsheet of what line I have on which setup and most importantly when I put the new line on. It works for me.
    I do both of these and also track when I purchased the spool of line.

Fluoro is 10, 14 or 20 lb Sunline FC Sniper. Jerkbaits and spybaits get the 10, tx rigged plastics get the 20 and pretty much everything else gets 14.
    All braid is 50 lb 832 with exception of my frog rod which is 65 lb 832.
    All mono is CXX 10 or 12 but when my spool of 12 runs out, it'll all be CXX 10.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Brother label maker...type of line, weight, and date
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

13. Member
    Some great ideas, I think I just need to put in a little more effort to keep things organized with line. I have a couple of reels where I may just pull a bunch off, leave whatever is on there as backing, and go from there with a clean organized start.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

All fluorocarbon is clear. I know what size based on the rod/reel combo.
    All mono is green. Same as above.
    All braid is either Camo or green.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

I always put the same pound test line on the same rod and reel combo...no need to mark them.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

16. Member
    That's what I do. Spinning rods have 8lb, or braid. Flipping rods have 20, everything else has 16.

17. Scraps
    Reducing the choices is best. For pound test I use the electrical labels as suggested and put it on the reel. For the mfr line I use the blue painters tape on the rod butt - I don't like doing this cuzz I only need to because I have too many different brand lines that I'm "trying" out in search of the next best thing.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

18. Member
    Amazon sells "essential oil labels" in various sizes. I purchase the tiny circles (~3/4" diameter), I write the line size and date with an ultra-fine sharpie. Wipe down the area on your reel with isopropyl before applying the sticker.

19. Banned
    colored rubber bands around the reel foot. come up with your own system....

Blue=20lb flouro
    yellow=15lb mono

For the last year I've been using 1" blue painters tape. I wrap it at least a full turn around the rod handle and use a sharpie to write brand, size, and date it when I spooled it on. Not saying it's the best way but it's quick and it works. Tape stays on well but removes easily from the cork when needed with no residue. Interested in hearing what others do as well.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast