Cumberland in the Summer

Heading to Cumberland this weekend. I understand there's a "raft up," so I'm only planning on fishing in the morning from first light until about 10AM to avoid the pleasure boats. I attempted fishing in August there last year and got my butt kicked. Anyone have any pointers they want to share on where to find the bass? Do I focus on finesse fishing? I suck at large clear lakes in the summer. I'll be putting in at Beaver Creek. Thanks.

2. Member
    Buzzbait or spook on bluff walls or buzz timber.

3. Member
    Fished Pitman Creek last weekend, caught a decent 3# smallie and a few others, and quite a few small KY bass, all on either Super Spook Jr. or LC Pointer 78 "danced" under the surface.

Like you, I struggle on Cumberland and other clear water lakes this time of year, but it is so gorgeous down there (I'm here in Cincinnati).

4. Member
    Thanks guys. I'll give topwater a try.

5. Member
    How did you do??? Cumberland has kicked my butt many times. Best I ever did down there was fishing up "Fishing Creek" off a point. I have never really had much luck fishing the deep clear portions of Cumberland.

6. Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    How did you do??? Cumberland has kicked my butt many times. Best I ever did down there was fishing up "Fishing Creek" off a point. I have never really had much luck fishing the deep clear portions of Cumberland.
    Not good. Caught a few spots but that’s it. I was finding fish on my graphs but couldn’t figure out how to catch them.

7. Member
    Took over 18 at burnside lastnight so somebody has them figured out, but it dang sure ain’t me.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Took over 18 at burnside lastnight so somebody has them figured out, but it dang sure ain’t me.
    Good bag. They largemouths, or mixed?

9. Member
    Buddy said largemouth.I never went back to weigh in. I had 3 decent largemouth then started catching short smallmouth then it shut down big time for me. According to most the shakey head & bait my buddy was throwing was guaranteed money. Obviously they get payed on Friday & not on Saturday nights.
    Last edited by Les Young; 08-04-2019 at 08:57 PM.