Looking for a few launches north of Great Falls

I got a Nitro Z8 (20 foot fiberglass) looking to get some fishing in north of great falls. What are a few that have the water I need to navigate?

I am in Arlington and the only easy fishing for me and my 9 year old is cat fish unless I go south to at least Pohick. Also looking to change up the scenery.

2. Member
    Not going to find anywhere up river to run that boat. Best to have aluminum and a jet drive up there.

3. Member
    Oh darn I thought I read there were places north. Maybe like harpers ferry area?

4. Member
    Well, there's always reservoirs or the Eastern Shore, a long trip.

There are two dams in the upper Potomac near Hagerstown Maryland that you can put a glass boat. It get crowded in the summer though.

https://www.canaltrust.org/discoveryarea/dam-4/

6. Member
    Your going the wrong direction with a glass boat. There are ramps all along the Potomac up to Hancock but very few are deep enough for a glass boat. Jet drive aluminum rig is what you need up our way. You could get a glass boat on at Dargans Bend ramp but there isnt much area and if you dont know where to go you wont have any boat left. 2 choices up this way are Dam 4, Big Slack water, and Dam 5, Four Locks. Deep water but the river isnt really all that wide and deep water is about 8 to 10 miles maybe. During the week it is fine, on the weekend it is packed with recreational boaters and since it is narrow its not much fun to fish after 11AM. If you look at a map, you can run from Dam 4 ramp to Potomac Fish & Game club no problem, at Dam 5 you can run from the launch down to the dam and up to about McCoys Ferry. You need to learn the river to get to McCoys ferry though

Quote Originally Posted by mikesjet View Post
    There are two dams in the upper Potomac near Hagerstown Maryland that you can put a glass boat. It get crowded in the summer though.

https://www.canaltrust.org/discoveryarea/dam-4/
    Nice Map
    Greg Haberkorn (Habby)
    2018 Ranger Z521L
    2020 250 Mercury Pro XS - 2B738680