Thread: Cowan Lake

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Yep,,the sailboaters have the run of the lake....no doubt.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

2. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OH_Ranger View Post
    Is this accurate? All lakes?
    You need to check,,not all lakes.

3. Member
    reply from odnr about power loading at cowan

Hello Mike,
    The law says that use of any motor with a rating of more than 10hp may not be used on the waters of Cowan Lake (with no exceptions). However, direction has been provided to our officers to allow power loading with a higher horsepower primary motor provided that the primary motor is only in use while actively loading; not motoring up to the ramp or any excessive distance from the ramp. The Department’s Natural Resource Officers are expected to use reasonable discretion when determining if an operator is utilizing an over-horsepower motor in an appropriate manner or improperly using such a motor to power load.
    I hope this information is helpful to you; please do not hesitate to contact again if you have additional questions.
    Wishing you a safe & happy boating season!
    Deb Green, Regulatory Coordinator
    ODNR, Division of Parks & Watercraft
    614-265-6500 direct
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    reply from odnr about power loading at cowan

Hello Mike,
    The law says that use of any motor with a rating of more than 10hp may not be used on the waters of Cowan Lake (with no exceptions). However, direction has been provided to our officers to allow power loading with a higher horsepower primary motor provided that the primary motor is only in use while actively loading; not motoring up to the ramp or any excessive distance from the ramp. The Department’s Natural Resource Officers are expected to use reasonable discretion when determining if an operator is utilizing an over-horsepower motor in an appropriate manner or improperly using such a motor to power load.
    I hope this information is helpful to you; please do not hesitate to contact again if you have additional questions.
    Wishing you a safe & happy boating season!
    Deb Green, Regulatory Coordinator
    ODNR, Division of Parks & Watercraft
    614-265-6500 direct
    Good info

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    or dnr with a twin motor set up-- the well off sailboaters own that lake
    After reading this thread I researched and found this info on the net.
    WATERCRAFT.OHIODNR.GOV states some contradictory rules. Search the site and click on the list of Ohio lakes that have 10hp motor limits and all the way down at the end there's a NOTE that says idle/no wake is permitted throughout the lake with Larger HP OUTBOARD ENGINES! I'd save this link and it should get you out of any ticket!!!!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ200sx View Post
    After reading this thread I researched and found this info on the net.
    WATERCRAFT.OHIODNR.GOV states some contradictory rules. Search the site and click on the list of Ohio lakes that have 10hp motor limits and all the way down at the end there's a NOTE that says idle/no wake is permitted throughout the lake with Larger HP OUTBOARD ENGINES! I'd save this link and it should get you out of any ticket!!!!

links? all lakes in Ohio wee changed except cowan I believe?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

7. Member
    I just checked the site out the lakes with a * beside the name of the lakes are the ones that allow idle with big motor. cowan isn't one of them, but should be

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman 1 View Post
    I just checked the site out the lakes with a * beside the name of the lakes are the ones that allow idle with big motor. cowan isn't one of them, but should be

cowan was on that list until the sail boaters got together and stopped it. too much money and power there from the sail boaters to get it changed
    MAGA

9. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Go ahead and start her up at Cowan,, get a ticket. Plenty of people fish there regularly and know. Go for it....

10. Member
    The link was the website I mentioned, sorry for the confusion. That's what I understood from the rule when I read it but I havnt fished there in 3 years. So I'll definitely take your guys word for it. It sucks that they petitioned to change the rule because Cowan is a fun place to fish. Thanx for the heads up!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12