Lake Jackson near Tallahassee

Going bass fishing there in late August (small club tourney), any tips on lures, patterns that time of year, general areas, etc. Thanks ahead! Long drive from Ga for son and I for only one day so any help would be appreciated.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I haven't been by there lately but I've heard the lake level is pretty low and the boating channels are over grown with pads. I have to go that way tomorrow and take a look and get back to you.

3. Member
    Key to fishing Jackson is to fish it early in the year.. Dec-March before the grass and pads have a chance to top out.. There are some big fish in that lake to be caught too.. First couple of months this year I personally seen 3 over 8lbs caught..

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Here's some pictures sorry about the quality, the first one is from the Jackson view ramp off of US 27 the rest are from the Sunset ramp just off 27.
    IMG_0649.jpgIMG_0652.jpgIMG_0653.jpg

5. Member
    This was the premeir big bass lake in the 60's

6. Member
    It was also very good in the 70's and 80's. I caught several 10 lb. plus bass back in those days with top water prop baits.

7. Member
    This time of year is tough on Jackson but definitely not impossible. Just lots of places for bass to hide. The best fishing right now can be found on the east side of the lake near Fords Arm. There's hydrilla beds in 6-8 feet of water on that side and either dragging a big worm or slow rolling a large swimbait like a big EZ can get you a healthy limit. If you like to punch, a dark colored creature bait dropped into the heavy stuff around Crowder landing can get you a big one but I wouldn't count on that for a tournament. Stick to the deeper hydrilla and you'll be fine.

8. Member
    Lots and lots of vegetation. I like to punch and frog. What poppin frog said too. I would say pick what you’re most comfortable with. Gonna be tough with no practice time. Lots of hiding places out there. Plenty of big ones to stumble across though.