Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking at the 18 TRX

Hey guys. My dad and i are getting the new boat itch and wanting to make an upgrade to a faster glass boat. This boat size features and price range seems best for us and will fit in existing carport. I have a few questions any of you have the paint over gatorhyde trailer? I dont like the textured finish at all they look dingy and hard to clean to me. I see only a 6" jack plate js offered on the site would this boat be better with an 8". I know im going hydraulic. How is the performance with the 200 v8 merc pro xs? Also how difficult is running wiring to the console from bilge area or bow etc? Looks like an amazing boat planning to make a drive to the dealer to look around soon just non super close to me. Owners that have them how do you like the boat anything you may not or regret? Just trying to get some more info as we get more serious thanks guys any info is appreciated!
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

2. Member
    I just bought one and still in break in. Currently 8.1 hrs. Mine came with a 24 fury and no way can my motor turn that prop to 6200 RPM. It was around 5600 with that prop. After much testing we settled on a 22 Tempest plus and I am right at 6000 rpm now and 68.2 mph. That was with my gear, 3/4 tank of gas, and my wife, daughter and I. I believe it has a little more left and still raising the jack plate. I need to check my numbers but I should be around 2.75”-3” now. The boat will be a solid 68-70 mph boat and I think that is about all you can expect out of it. All my readings tach and gps are digital.

I went with the 80 24v fortrex and it is plenty of motor. I don’t see where you would need more than 80# on the front. The Ultrex would be nice but the extra cost isn’t worth it for me.

When in the drivers seat it does sit a little lower than what I am used to but getting more used to that each time behind the wheel.

I haven’t found any fit or finish issues. I didn’t need to run any wires from back to front so no comment on that.

The front deck has a lot of room on it.

3. Member
    There's a 2019 18TRX w/new Merc 4S 200 on it w/low hours in the boats for sale section at a seemingly decent price. I like mine so far, granted I've only had it a month but its a lot of boat for a 18' class.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTN View Post
    I just bought one and still in break in. Currently 8.1 hrs. Mine came with a 24 fury and no way can my motor turn that prop to 6200 RPM. It was around 5600 with that prop. After much testing we settled on a 22 Tempest plus and I am right at 6000 rpm now and 68.2 mph. That was with my gear, 3/4 tank of gas, and my wife, daughter and I. I believe it has a little more left and still raising the jack plate. I need to check my numbers but I should be around 2.75”-3” now. The boat will be a solid 68-70 mph boat and I think that is about all you can expect out of it. All my readings tach and gps are digital.

I went with the 80 24v fortrex and it is plenty of motor. I don’t see where you would need more than 80# on the front. The Ultrex would be nice but the extra cost isn’t worth it for me.

When in the drivers seat it does sit a little lower than what I am used to but getting more used to that each time behind the wheel.

I haven’t found any fit or finish issues. I didn’t need to run any wires from back to front so no comment on that.

The front deck has a lot of room on it.
    Thank you very much for the info. I would be very happy with that performance. The tempest prop you are running now is it worked at all or just an out of the box prop?
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by jkville View Post
    There's a 2019 18TRX w/new Merc 4S 200 on it w/low hours in the boats for sale section at a seemingly decent price. I like mine so far, granted I've only had it a month but its a lot of boat for a 18' class.

Wish that was closer to me thats a nice boat!
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

6. Member
    The 22 Tempest Plus is straight out of the box. I am pretty sure I could go to a 23 pitch for fall/winter/spring.

Thanks for the info ill keep that in mind. We gonna be making a dealer trip here shortly to check stuff out and get the ball rolling and get ready to sell the current boat. Does anyone know when the 2020 models are available to order?
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

8. Member
    The 2020 models are already available. I just received my TRX 189 last weeks after waiting 11 weeks for it. It is a 2020 year model.

Oh nice thats good to hear. So 11 weeks on yours DaveTTN how long did you have to wait to get your boat? Thanks!
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

10. Member
    The one I bought was already at a dealer.

Well that makes it easier lol. Not alot of dealers with mamy tritons on the floor around here so i know im gonna have to order mine. I woukd imagine the wait for the merc pro xs is the worst prt.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Also Dave did you get the torquemaster or standard gearcase?
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

13. Member
    1.75 Torquemaster, still getting it dialed in on jack plate height and prop, more testing/running/fishing this weekend.

Perfect thank you very much you have been very helpful!
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

15. Member
    Glad to help!

16. Member
    More driving and setup this weekend. At 2.75” ptp now, 69 mph at 6190 RPM. Water pressure at WOT 23 psi. This is with a 22 tempest plus, pretty much ran out of prop need a 23 pitch. Boat drives easy and no chine at WOT.

Man thats moving. I would be very happy with that for sure. Nice to hear it handles nice at those speeds too. Appreciate all the info you have posted it has definitely helped!
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

18. Member
    Ordered a 23 tempest plus today.

Please post how it does very curious. I already cant wait to get mine but a long wait ahead. Still gotta sell this boat to keep the a countant happy lol
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

20. Member
    Ran the 23 yesterday, 2 people, full tank of gas and our gear, 69.6 mph at 5890 RPM. H2O at WOT around 23 so can still come up a bit. Raised jack plate this morning 1/4” so right around 2.75-2.5” ptp. Boat handles great. Ran it with the large PVS plugs from factory and had to feather gas on hole shot to keep RPM down. Changed two of them to medium and left one large. Probably won’t be back on water until Friday, will post results after next run.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast