Stiff vertical steering pivot on 50 hp Evinrude

I have the service manual for the engine but have not found the information for servicing the vertical pivot shaft. With the engine hanging free on a hoist and the steering control arm completely disconnected from the horizontal transom mount tube the pivot action is very stiff.

What is the correct disassembly procedure to remove the swivel bracket [pivot yoke/kingpin (?)] and clean out what is probably 30 years of gunk? I dont think just shooting new grease into the zerk fitting will remedy this problem. I am hoping this does not necessitate removing the power head. Ugh.

edit- to be clear the engine is separated from the transom mounting bracket that has the tilt hydraulic cylinder

Any tips appreciated.
    Last edited by Mister Ed; 07-28-2019 at 03:39 PM. Reason: spelling/learning terms

2. Banned
    Look up dangar marine on utube. U can heat up pivot swivel with a heatgun then squeeze in fresh grease til the old stuff oozes out the top n bottom

3. Member
    Which pivot action are you talking about? left-to-right pivot (vertical shaft) which is used to steer the boat, or the up/down trim/tilt pivot (horizontal shaft)??

For the vertical shaft, some stiffness is wanted so that the motor won't then to flop back and forth if you are idling around. Not sure about your motor but most have a grease zero or two on the bracket that goes directly to that shaft.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200