90 hp running poorly

I have a 90 hp mercury outboard on the back of my pontoon. Ser # OG284332. I've had it out a lot this summer. Yesterday I was on the wisc river headed to Lake WI. It's an area I'm not familiar with. It ran great,as usual, until we were at the halfway point, about 1.5 hrs of riding at all speeds. At low throttle it would spit, sputter, and miss. It was random but consistent, meaning no real pattern but frequent. Fuel tank was 2/3 full and pumping the primer bulb didnt help. If I went wide open, it ran smooth but lacked power. It would only go 12 instead of 20. Plugs look decent but I will replace them anyway. Any ideas on where to start? I will do plugs and fuel filter.

More info. Bought this late last summer and been through 8-10 tanks of gas. I filled it up before last trip and after. I filled it at a place that goes through a lot of gas for a small station so it should be fresh. Was filled maybe 2 weeks ago. Stored inside. Also when running the voltage guage reads 18 volts, is this normal or something that can/should be fixed.

2. Member
    18 not normal should read low 14s,start with basics compression ,spark fuel delivery, if you see brown looking material in filter possible fuel line degrading
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................