Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sunscreen Killing Fish?

So yesterday during a tournament, we had a great day on the water and had a limit in the well about 2 hours into the day, we culled a few times and throughout the day and I was the one managing the fish. We put G-juice in the wells and pumped out old water and put in new a few times throughout the day. Water wasn’t crazy hot either(mid 80’s) and we had the aerators on all day. By 12 we had our big fish die who seemed fine about an hour before this(then separated this fish from the rest and put fresh water in the live fish well). About an hour or so later two
    more died. Really strange since we normally don’t have any die. It was hot and sunny so naturally I put sunscreen on twice throughout the day. When we got to weigh in a guy mentioned that if you put sunscreen on you shouldn’t be handling the fish much less sticking your arms/hands in the well. Has anyone heard of sunscreen causing fish to die if it rubs off on them or gets into the water? If so, is there a type that won’t make this happen? Here in Florida sunscreen and protective clothing is a must.

Thanks in advance for any info.
    DTS

I have to use sunscreen like crazy and I’ve never had an issue with fish dying in the livewell. I figure the majority of anglers use sunscreen and it would be a widespread issue if sunscreen killed fish.

3. Banned
    Sounds like a good reason to try the cull tags, no more sticking arms into the livewell.

4. Member
    Agree with BigSexyPhoenix. I do know if you mix G-Juice with some other live well additives the fish are goners.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Sounds like a good reason to try the cull tags, no more sticking arms into the livewell.

6. Member
    I watched a video on keeping fish alive in warm water like you are talking about. This was a big tournament angler and his process was, he started with a bag of ice in the livewell and filled it with water and from that point on he never added fresh water he just kept the recirculating pumps on is all he does. I’m sure it’s on youtube somewhere.

7. Member
    Put them on auto so they keep pumping in fresh water thru out the day, I do this and have never had a problem.

Saw something on the news recently about sunscreen harming the coral reefs in Hawaii, also that some of the ingredients soaking into our bloodstreams.https://www.wired.com/story/sunscree...r-bloodstream/
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Put them on auto so they keep pumping in fresh water thru out the day, I do this and have never had a problem.
    We put the livewell selector on auto and keep the pumps running continuously all day and never had an issue.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

10. Member
    Thanks for the info guys. Could I have used too much G-juice? They Keys has some regulations now about diving with sunscreen noting it damages the reefs. So I thought maybe the same thing if a fish comes in contact with it.

11. Banned
    August in Florida and the water temps only hit the mid-80's? We had a two day tournament with 42 boats last weekend here in Nova Scotia; the water temps hit the low 80's by Sunday.
    I haven't heard of sunscreen killing fish.

Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    With no puncture tags ??

13. Member
    Some of the fish had puncture holes, the big fish did not. The rivers around here stay pretty cool due to a lot of rainfall, current and some springs. The lakes in summer get over 90 easily.

14. Member
    My take: I hope you had VT-2 vents.......got let that hot gas out. Run fresh water on continuously. Run re-cir continuously. Lose the live well aid. Keep big motor runs short without some new water. 50 years at this and this is what works best.

Clean your live wells too. Peroxide and baking soda, add water, scrub the walls, turn recirc pumps on for a few minutes to clean the lines, drain, rinse, turn on recirc pumps to get everything clean, drain, and let it air dry with lids open. You will be amazed how fresh the fish will be at your next weigh in.

16. Member
    I have the VT-2 live well vents and always have livewells on auto. I only run on recirc when making runs. Had great results
    David Geske
    Boatless Family Man

17. Member
    Stinger over the side.

I run all pumps and added a sprayer that just aerates the water.
    Praying for a Cure

18. Member
    Couple of things you might try: put the sunscreen at home/motel and wash hands after applying, DO NOT buy gas in the AM of fishing, do it night before (gas is strong and usually gets on your hands, and use ICE in the livewell unless the water is fairly cool. I fished a two day on the Potomac in June and lip hooked all LMs and yet 3 died. I figured it was stress and 80 deg temp. Second day, I got ICE and ran the Ranger livewell most of the day and all was fine for the 14+ pounds I had. Livewells have foilfaced insulation under the lids and the vents mentioned above, with G juice added. I think the fish suffered from shock and were post spawn.

19. Member
    I think I had the happen with sunscreen once as well. Never had a single issue with fish dying and one hot day I applied sunscreen a bunch and had every fish die in the well. Stopped using sunscreen after that I never had another issue. Some have claimed that it can get a coating on the gills and not allow them to breathe properly. Not sure if that's true, but to be safe I just don't use it anymore or at least get the spray and not put any on my hands.

People lifting fish out of the livewell by the culling tags helped spark this no puncture tag deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast