Thread: BFL Saturday

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mikesxpress

BFL Saturday

13.12 won it with four of 43 boats weighing zero.
    11.3 lbs won on the amateur side. Tough day...

2. Member
    ( Tough day ) Yes it was, welcome to the Potomac, LOL,

3. Member
    Lots of boat traffic. Probably 4 tournaments on the river this weekend
    YJHAMMER 11
    Hollywood MD
    2019 Skeeter FX21LE

4. Member
    Glad to see no boats fishing BFL the way there taking so much money out of it now.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    Glad to see no boats fishing BFL the way there taking so much money out of it now.
    The boat numbers have dropped off. People are not happy with the increase of membership and entries. But if you are lucky enough to do well, points champ gets 3k and regional payout and all American increased very well.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5pigs View Post
    The boat numbers have dropped off. People are not happy with the increase of membership and entries. But if you are lucky enough to do well, points champ gets 3k and regional payout and all American increased very well.
    That's a pipe dream for most. I could care less about the regional or all american. They need way more money in each event. To many other things to fish with a lot better payouts.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    That's a pipe dream for most. I could care less about the regional or all american. They need way more money in each event. To many other things to fish with a lot better payouts.
    You are correct! That’s why I said you have to be lucky. My dad won 25k fishing BFL In the last 12 months. That’s not the norm though. I only fished one event this year. Increase cause me to step back.

8. mikesxpress
    Subtract 38% average tax deduction for winnings. Subtract entry fees. Subtract oil/fuel/hotels/meals/tackle. If you break even in the long haul your doing great and that's all you can ask for. The lack of participation in these events and sponsors willing to promote them is taking it's toll.

9. Banned
    Only 43 boats? The BFL's are in trouble this year. I didn't fish any this year either with the increase. I hear that there are going to be big changes for next year though. If the changes are what I hear they are it should really bring it back to life.

10. Member
    well why don't you just tell us what you hear?

11. mikesxpress
    Prediction:
    MLF will buy out FLW to gain the media rights/staff/equipment (which MLF is in need of) and assimilate the existing FLW levels of competition into a weekend fisherman format augmenting there already popular pro series. That will leave two dominant fishing series. MLF & BASS (which is already suffering). This would condense already scarce sponsor dollars into two vs three series making it more sustainable for the long haul or till BASS folds up.

Trish Blake (Irwin Jacobs daughter) has been running FLW for years and has seen the decline in sponsorship dollars/participation over the years. Dad's not around anymore so sell it and retire?
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 07-31-2019 at 04:54 AM.

BASS is not suffering. Their viewership numbers are up big time this year and it still remains the premier tour. MLF however IS struggling. Their anglers are visibly frustrated and people have stopped watching. The rumor of FLW/MLF was just that.. a rumor.

BFL payouts and entries are no doubt a talking point, but you have to look beyond fishing one tournament and the initial payout . If you qualify for the regional, its free and you fish for a large payday. 5 lucky people will go to free All American with TV exposure, and ultimately have a chance to fish FLW Cup.

The biggest thing on the 1 day tournaments however is the contingencies. If you are going to fish BFL, meet the contingencies. First place pays out around $3k, but if you have a Ranger (any year or model) you get an extra $2k. If you have a Mercury, an extra $1k. There are a handful of others too, but $6k for a $300 tournament is pretty damn good. Do I wish entries were lower? Yeah who wouldn't.
    2015 Ranger Z119C - 2018 Mercury 225 Pro XS

13. Member
    Yeah BFL already has schedules made for next year and will release at super tourneys next month. BASS have broken attendance records this year. It’s like the fans took to some new names.

14. mikesxpress
    That's not what Duckett says?

15. Member
    Folks.... the Shenedoah Division BFLs is normally a popular division for MD and VA with 100 plus boats. 'This year though the Regional for the Shenedoah is on Lake Lanier. The Regional for the Northeast division and Piedmont division is on the Potomac. Guys left the Shenedoah for 2019 because of this. Attendance is still good in the BFLs Hopefully some changes will be made to the payouts. They are getting pricey.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McFaul View Post
    Folks.... the Shenedoah Division BFLs is normally a popular division for MD and VA with 100 plus boats. 'This year though the Regional for the Shenedoah is on Lake Lanier. The Regional for the Northeast division and Piedmont division is on the Potomac. Guys left the Shenedoah for 2019 because of this. Attendance is still good in the BFLs Hopefully some changes will be made to the payouts. They are getting pricey.
    Rumor is a regional on the James River next year so it will be the same if true !

17. Member
    If it's on the James I'll have a tough decision to make. I love the James. Fishing the NE Division this year has opened my eyes to how much fun fishing up north can be. Particularly when it is super hot and fishing is tough in VA and MD. Cooler temps and big smallies are not a bad thing!!

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    When? I moved to Lanier and would love to check this out! Lanier Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick McFaul View Post
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

19. mikesxpress
    James, Lanier rocks 6 footers from the ya'hooer boat traffic all summer. But the fish school up in the wash if you can stay in the boat to fish them. That traffic there has monster tubs with the big $ folks from Atlanta buying 50 footers and doing lake doughnuts I lived in SC for 15 years and went over there in the winter when it was less crazy.

20. mikesxpress
    48 boats 8/17/19. 11 zeros on pro side. 15 lbs won and 9lbs to get a check. Tough...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast