Yamaha VMAX 175 trim problem

I have an unusual issue with my trim on
    my 5/2000 v max HPDI 175. When the engine is turned to port the engine will not trim down. I turn the vine straight ahead or slightly to starboard and it works normally. When the problem happens I can’t lower the engine from the bow or the binnacle button but it can be lowered from the trailer button the motor. The trim button on the binnacle has been replaced.
    My gut instincts are pointing me to a possible problem in the harness. The engine is
    mounted to a Ranger 02 185 VS. any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated
    Thank you
    Bill Lavallee
    Concord NH

2. Member
    Had similar problem with my 150 vmax. Found problem in wiring harness and ran a separate jumper wire.( Problem was with up function ). 1Week later engine misses when turned to port but runs good when turned to starboard. I can make this happen also by moving rigging tube by hand. Next move is to expose harness out of tube to verify location of problem, and probably replace main engine harness. Marine mechanic wants to patch broken wire but given multiple issues, I feel more comfy with replacement. Mine is a 2004 Skeeter TZX 190. Hope this gives you ideas to look at.

3. Member
    I had the exact same problem you are describing. Mine turned out to be a broken wire. When you turned one way the wire would separate and not work, then you’d turn the other and it would connect and work great. One sign this was the case was by turning the tube that the wire runs through would improve it. Was an easy fix.

4. Member
    Hi guys thanks for the feedback I may just order a new harness depending on what the cost is but at least for now I am going to try and locate the break and repair it. I just bought my boat this year and it’s my first Ranger I knew there would be a few little problems but overall she is a great boat. Have a great day