Youghiogheny Dam 7-27-19

Today I sleep in as I wanted to get on the lake at 6am. So i was an hour late. Today was special as my wife went with me. This was the first weekend she has felt good enough to fish. She is recovering from cancer and it has been a year and a half battle that she has won.

I didn't set any speed records on the water as she diidnt let me go any faster than 40 mph. But I was cool with that.

Again we put in at the dam. We were about the third boat however there were a lot of fishermen. Some trolling and others on the points.

Today was about just catching fish and not hunting for the big ones. My wife enjoys more action so I really was going to crappie fish. However I started with my SENKO and we just started pulling in bass. We fished a cove in netween 10 ft of water and the bank. We were on the lake a little over three hours and boater 11 small mouth. Nothing big but decent size. I used my standard set up and my wife used a Senko rigged wacky. Since we were set up with light line we used the net this time.

The water was down just a little from last week and a little more clear. The outside temp was cool in the am and warmed to the high 70's. Boat traffice was light all day but they started to roll in as we departed.

Nothing new in the pattern that has been working. Weighted Senko worked slowly on the bottom. We found some nice grass beds.

All in all what an enjoyable day with my wife, however I'm going to have to teach her how to take grass off of her hook. She caught 6 and I caught 5. Sorry she would let me take a picture of her. But in any event this is what we were catching today.

2. Member
    Sounds like a great day . congrats to your wife on winning her battle with cancer !

3. Member
    Great story. We are lucky to have such quality health care in Western Pa.

So great to hear her story and to have posts on the Yough dam. I miss stopping at Gleason's for a great breakfast, then on to the dam.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

Nice - great news on your wife beating cancer and being able to go out fishing. Enjoy your fishing updates.
    2018 Ranger Z185
    Etec G2 150 HO
    Ultrex 80
    Garmin 93sv Panoptix

5. Member
    Congrats on your wife's recovery, that has to be a great feeling. My wife is in her own personal battle with melanoma so I can understand your feelings. I have been doing very well since about mid-June on rock piles and boulders in 20-40 ft of water drop shotting. Don't see many people fishing out deep when I am out there but it has been working for me. I am usually catching numbers and some larger fish near 20" mixed in throughout the day. Good luck!

6. Member
    The deep water will be this weekend objective just to do something different. Well actualy Saturday afternoon and evening will be a complete change to Walleye fishing. There is a night bass tournament that starts around 8pm on Saturday too. So I'm going to give the bass a break and see if I can raise some Walleye. This will be interesting as it is the first time I will target Walleye this year.

I also like the few submerged bridges they produce pretty well. I do see some people fishing deeper water but not many. However I don't run much when I'm fishing so I might not see everyone tactics.

7. Member
    glad to hear your wife is on the way to recovery, thanks for the report