Thread: New 250SS

New 250SS

Unless the bottom drops out boat goes to the dealer next Wed. New 250SS going on it. Said it would be there about a week but that's fine. Use to my boat being in the shop for a week after using it ONCE to fish with. I have no thoughts of that being the issue with the new Suzuki. But the other black motor is gone, good riddance. Really looking forward to the new SS. Thanks to booter and others on info about Suzuki. Have done the homework so now its time. Thanks again to all.

2. Member
    Your welcome man & I hope it all works out best for you. I know Suzuki is not that popular, especially on here after hearing what Kevin went through to get Suzuki to replace his motor. IMO, it's a trouble free motor, especially if take care of it with basic maintenance and not abuse it.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

3. Member
    The other black motor has a forum here. There are a lot more of them than Suzukis on bass boats. There are also 153,600 entries on theirs, and 3,829 here.

4. Banned
    I’ve owned Johnson, Evinrude, Mercury, and Yamaha, and Suzuki is as old as ANY of them ot there.

5. Member
    When I started my bass club 20+ years ago I had a 65 HP Suzuki on a 16 foot Lowe, so I knew about them quite a while back. A modified semi-vee, it was fast but would not turn at full throttle, it would just skid sideways.

6. Member
    Congrats JW!! Welcome to the family. Mine is essentially brand new like yours. We will all need to keep in touch for sure. Looking forward to hearing about your progress.

7. Member
    BN1...your absolutely correct on the numbers.....but that may also mean that more of them are being repaired than the Suzuki. Fact is they're all mechanical and all can break, all of them. I've now owned Johnson(2), Evinrude(2), Mercury (2), will be my first Suzuki. The only brand and I mean the ONLY brand that ever left me where I had to be towed in was Merc.2xs. If I look at all those threads on the general forum I could say wow those Mercs sure do have a lot of problems. That would be a little short sided on my part. The one I owned did...all the time. Time to move on and I have. Hopefully I'll have good luck with the Suzuki. I follow maintenance requirements and don't try to run them in the ground. Looking for ward to it.

8. Member
    Its official. New 250SS hanging on the back of my Ranger. Cannot believe how quiet this thing is. Starting the break-end on Friday. Work still gets in the way for now. Lots of new water to fish now that I know I can get there and back. Life is good. Sold the Opti to an old friend who wanted it....he's a boat engine mechanic. Said he can use the parts.

9. Member
    Congrat’s!

Now, be careful to turn the engine off before pulling the boat out of the water LOL. You wont be the first one to do it, especially after having an Opti (last time I heard one of those it sounded like a concrete mixer loaded with bricks) you wont even know that it is running except for the telltale splashing into the water!

Here in Aus Suzuki has amassed a huge following. I would say they are #2 in sales behind Yamaha. And have been for some time. In my fishing Club that has around 100 boats, I would say Suzukis are in the majority.

As you no doubt already know, they are geared totally differently and they rev higher, so throw out all ideas of propping as you have learnt for the Merc, and start over again.

Which engine gauge package did you go with? The new Suzuki OEM colour MFG’s?

Looking forward to hearing updates as you get her in the water.

10. Member
    Ranger492, who is the go to Suzuki dealer in Austin, you have more dealers than me here in San Antonio? Thx

Dropped a 250SS on my Cougar FTD in June and I am glad I did it although I am still looking for the right prop to get a bit more top end that I know it has.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillS53 View Post
    Dropped a 250SS on my Cougar FTD in June and I am glad I did it although I am still looking for the right prop to get a bit more top end that I know it has.
    Keep me posted please. I'm interested in what you learn. PM me if you don't want to start a thread. I'll help however possible

13. Member
    running a solas proL4 15.5 x 26 on a heavy bass and flats Storm 22 seeing 70 on the limiter

Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    Keep me posted please. I'm interested in what you learn. PM me if you don't want to start a thread. I'll help however possible
    Yes we should start the forum. I am basically biding my time until I can replenish my funds to try a few more props. Unfortunately very few places up here in Wisconsin carry props and almost everything is ordered. I'm hoping I can take a day next spring when I'm in Tennessee and find a place that has multiple props to try.

15. Member
    I've seen advertisements on that prop and also would be interested in your experiences with it. I'm still going through the break in period and don't want to monkey with the motor/prop. That's down the road. But from what I've seen so far the 27 that came on the motor is doing fine. What is amazing for me is the fuel economy. Fished a night tournament this past weekend, 11 hours. Total fuel used. 3 gallons. More fishing than running but we did cover some water. Very pleased.

16. Member
    Does anyone know how Suzuki 250ss handles driving through vegetation like think hydrilla? I'm in central Florida and have to deal with alot of salad. The new Mercury's are running hot very easy and I have been told that from several new owners.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsfish85 View Post
    Does anyone know how Suzuki 250ss handles driving through vegetation like think hydrilla? I'm in central Florida and have to deal with alot of salad. The new Mercury's are running hot very easy and I have been told that from several new owners.
    So far mine has performed well in the grass and I have run it through some pretty heavy milfoil, eel grass and cabbage up here in the north country. It definitely outperforms my old Etch in this department. One of the reasons I considered Suzuki is when Card took a top 10 in Lacrosse WI Elite event he was driving back into some pretty heavy vegetation without issue. There still is no replacement for clearing you motor after you run through the junk. If you go Suzuki I advise to make sure you have the smaller screens in the intake as I found out the hard way if you have the larges screen you will be spending some time digging eel grass out of the inside of the lower unit while back flushing it.

18. Member
    Thanks for the information