Best bang for the buck Chartplotters/Fishfinders

I know I am not typical to most on here, but I am looking for the easiest to use/lowest cost setup for a new Aluminum rig. Probably a 7" on the console and a 5" or 7" on the front. The features for the console unit:

At least DI
    Lake Maps
    Speed

For the T/M
    At least DI

I want to keep it as close to $1K as possible for both. I was looking at a Echomap Plus 73sv and a Striker Plus 5cv, but open to others.
    Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by jeffblanton; 07-27-2019 at 08:13 AM.

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Just know that the Striker units do not have maps.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    Not sure if you can still find them but there were plenty of Helix 7 Gen 2’s floating around this spring that were very reasonable. Otherwise, check the electronics page on here, lots of used graphs are sold.

4. Member
    I have 2 Echomap plus 73SV's and for everything I think they're the best value. They can be found for 450.00 or so on the net. Maps are included and you can link them to share waypoints by simply connecting the blue and brown wires. Blue from one unit to brown of other and vice versa. May wanna double check that as it's been a while but I'm 90% sure that's it. I found the instructions in the Garmin forum here.

YOu can get some really good deal on the used market in the classifieds on here and other forums. I'd look for 7" ones. Better to see on.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

6. Member
    Helix

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama Shadow View Post
    I have 2 Echomap plus 73SV's and for everything I think they're the best value. They can be found for 450.00 or so on the net.
    I would definitely buy (2) at that price, best I have found is $599.99 with transducer - got a link?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Just know that the Striker units do not have maps.
    For the front- better to have a larger unit w/o maps or smaller unit w/ maps?

9. Member
    I would definitely buy (2) at that price, best I have found is $599.99 with transducer - got a link?
    My apologies as it was a month or so ago I was looking and now it seems they have gone back up. I did see the 73DV on Ebay for 516.00 if you don't need side imaging.

10. Member
    IMHO there are no better charts than Garmin has.

11. Member
    Recently, I got 2 Hook2 9"ers from Academy, on sale for $499, $100 prepaid card rebate per, and used RetailMeNot for an additional 10% cash back. Makes it $350 per unit!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ParDeus View Post
    Recently, I got 2 Hook2 9"ers from Academy, on sale for $499, $100 prepaid card rebate per, and used RetailMeNot for an additional 10% cash back. Makes it $350 per unit!
    I too went with the Hook2 Triple-shot units, got mine from Overtons at a great deal.
    9" after rebate - $327.19
    7" after rebate - $220.09

13. Member
    Lowrance Hook or Hook2 in 7" or 9"
    EASY operation and great price!
    BOB GASKINS TARPON SPRINGS,FL
    07 TR186 150 OPTI

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffblanton View Post
    Definitely want the map up front. 90% of the time I’m fishing my front graph is on full map mode.

By the way you won’t be happy at all with a 5” screen. They’re just impossible to read especially with a map. My advice is get you two hummingbird helix 7. Might be a couple hundred more than your budget, but I would save and get that. The 5” I wouldn’t even bother with.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffblanton View Post
    I'm just the opposite of catch5. Up front I hardly ever look at the map feature but I want a larger screen that I can see better when I am standing up fishing which puts my head farther away from the screen than when I am sitting at the console.

16. Member
    I picked up a used 73SV (earliest version) on the classifieds here for $275 w/ CV-40 trans. This thing is superb. Touchscreen and interconnect in the newer units would be a welcome upgrade.

17. Member
    I didn't think we could fish without a minimum of 2-12's on the bow AND 2-16's on the console?
    LOL...

18. Member
    Use the classifieds on here, find what you like in your price range go to the Manufacturers website check it does everything you want, download the manual while there and make a deal there is some great people on here to deal with I bough a 93sv from a guy on here and got a side console for my PT 190 from a guy on here. cheap way to get into bigger screens that normally be out of your price range,
    2006 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX 115 Merc

19. Member
    Get the Echomaps