Ohio River (Tanners Creek)

Hey guys i have the Larry Watson Championship out of Tanners Creek next weekend August 3rd and 4th. Just wondering what i should be doing. Ive never fished the ohio river. Ill be a Co Angler for this one. So ill have to catch fish behind my Boater. Any help would be great.
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

Just take 3 rods, 1 with a buzzbait, 1 with a spinnerbait and 1 with your favorite soft plastic/jig to flip. Seriously, keep it very very simple, you're going to cover a lot of water throwing at every stick, lay down and stump. FYI, don't expect much, the Ohio in July and August sucks!!! The 3 lowest winning weights in Bassmaster Classic history were on the river in the summer in Louisville, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh, all 3 sucked.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    Just take 3 rods, 1 with a buzzbait, 1 with a spinnerbait and 1 with your favorite soft plastic/jig to flip. Seriously, keep it very very simple, you're going to cover a lot of water throwing at every stick, lay down and stump. FYI, don't expect much, the Ohio in July and August sucks!!! The 3 lowest winning weights in Bassmaster Classic history were on the river in the summer in Louisville, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh, all 3 sucked.
    Thabk you very much sir. I will apply this. Ill report back on how i do. Its a 2 day event.
    Dustin Davis

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

Good advice from Skeeterator. Larry was a great guy. Good luck!

5. Member
    Tanners creek in August is my favorite time there. I usually have my highest weights that time of year as long as the water is stable. But the baits are pretty simple. Like said buzzbait, small spinnerbait and tube/small craw or baby brush hog is about all it takes.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    Good advice here. If I was to add anything to this, I might take a spinning rod with a shakey head in case you get around some rip rap. That be about it.

7. Member
    Thanks alot for the help guys. You've given me enuf that i atleast know what to pack out of my boat to fish as a Co Angler in someone elses boat. Thank you and i will apply all of this.
    Dustin Davis

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

Your going for 5-12” fish, think small.
    2002 Ranger 520 DVX / 2002 225hp Optimax

9. Member
    I'd add in a SK KVD 1.0 squarebill in a shad pattern.
    Crappie spinnerbaits are solid.
    I'd also consider a small ring worm or ribbontail to pitch to targets. Think 4-6" worms.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

Black 4 inch ring worm with a white tail has done for me many years ago but all the other suggestions are good river baits also

11. Banned
    Ned rig is about only thing I could add to what's been posted already.. that being said I've never fished that area of the river, only around Evansville/Newburgh