Any info where to find some perch or crappie this weekend?

I am bringing my 11 and 9yr olds with me this trip. They want to see where dad goes twice a month to fish. I know, I know tourists.

Any help would be appreciated. Either putting in at Leesylvania or Aquia not sure yet.

thanks,

I'm a local and I'd love to know that too. I took my youngest son and his friend fishing today for panfish, just night crawlers and bobbers, and we stayed in Mattawomen all day. We fished all kinds of different areas. Pads, grass, downed trees, nothing banks, boat docks, you name it. We fished an outgoing tide, then dead low, and only one decent bluegill to show for it. The boys had a blast just casting and joking around with each other. I was floored we couldn't get on anything. When did a freaking bluegill get so smart or particular? I used to take kids out in that creek years ago, and you could catch all the panfish you wanted pretty much anywhere you went.
    Last edited by yj99t04; 07-27-2019 at 09:19 PM.
    2010 BassCat Puma FTD
    2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    Instead of panfish, got after some catfish. There are so many it is hard not catch them, they fight hard, and as you know can get huge. Outside Neabsco or Occoquan creeks mouths. Of course, pleasure boaters on plane makes it a bit choppy on the weekends.

Thanks for the info. I am going to put in at hopesprings and see if we can find a couple catfish around the bridge pilings. They have never down there and I plan on taking them out to the wrecks at mallows also.

5. mikesxpress
    Crappie and brim bite in the middle of summer is tough on the river. If you want to entertain the kids with some kitties get some shrimp and go to the PRFC marker pole at Arkendale (south side of the multiple wrecks). Move out 50+ yards east of the pole during outgoing and you'll catch plenty of them. Graph around 1st to make sure your not on one of the wreck pieces that are scattered around by the pole and use an 8oz+ weight to keep the line straight down. Post pictures!!!

We did get some shrimp and play with the cats. Thanks Mike, I didn't read it until this evening when we returned.

Didn't do well. Kids were hot, so I took them to see the accomak over at mallows. River was actually very smooth today, spite the pleasure craft. As I approached the wreck, I saw a very large craft coming down river at a high rate of speed. Once I was able to actually see the size of it, I knew the wake was going to be enormous for someone that is landlocked. Anyway I made my plan dropped speed to about 20mph, then dropped off plane. First three were big but I timed them right, last one, well I could see I was going to spear it hard. I quickly trimmed a bit and gave it a bootfull of throttle to get the nose up. In the few seconds that followed, it was going to work perfectly. Until the at about 3/4 throttle and 2800-3100rpm the boat teetered and the prop broke completely free. In an instant the engine hit stratospheric rpm, warnings blaring it shutdown and we speared it anyway. Well it started right up again no warnings, also no fore or aft movement. I shut down trimmed it out of the water, prop was still there, lower unit is intact and no oil slick. After a grueling but welcome tow back from some great guys that were catfishing. I got it on the trailer and the lower seems to be ok. Prop hub isn't spun either. I will dig into this more but has anyone ever heard of the driveshaft snapping from a violent loading and unloading? I have witnessed it on semi tractors. I put it on the hose when I got home a little while ago and zero pressure and no movement on the input of the lower unit. Typically you can feel or hear a little bit of the dog clutch engaging, but nothing.

Anyway kids had quite the adventure today. I am guessing a 12mile tow at 5.7mph. Add if the guys that helped me today are on here, THANKS AGAIN!!!

7. mikesxpress
    Mike an over rev condition then impact with the water does snap drive shafts and clutch dogs. It's normally a clean break and unless the clutch dog disintegrated your not going to feel/hear much. Feathering the throttle when breaking free of water contact is the prescribed method of dealing with airborne situations under power. At least everyone is ok.

Drop the lower unit and watch for a possible break on the main shaft going up into the power head. You don't want that dropping down on your hands.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 07-28-2019 at 06:01 AM.

Thanks Mike, I am going to drop it out on Monday. Unfortunately other projects to finish first.

Update: Pulled the lower, drive shaft is intact. I feel like what Mike has stated that the dog clutches were wiped out. Odd though the unit will still go into get and lock the prop shaft. No bulges or chunky noises. Everything is still tight. The plot thickens.

Bad news, I have discovered that I have an SEI lower on my motor. This wasn't talked about when I purchased it. Either way, I will be back on the water.