Thread: trailer wiring

Banned

trailer wiring

Hi guys.

I'm trying to completely replace my 2005 Nitro trailer wiring. I bought a wiring harness that has a short (2 foot or so) white ground wire.
    When I stripped out my old wiring, I found the existing wiring has 2 full length white ground wires, 1 each running all the way to the taillights.
    I have searched and can't find this configuration. I would prefer to splice my side markers into this white wire rather than ground to the frame.
    Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Member
    Just splice wires to the 2 foot white ground wire and run them to the side marker lights and tail lights.
    2000 Viper Coral 202
    2013 Pro XS 200

3. Member
    ^^^ This ^^^

It's much easier to use the frame as a ground on your "side" lights. Just make sure you have a clean connection to the metal and that you also ground the frame to the ground wire from the plug.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

5. Member
    I think those wires will go to backup lights if so equipped and be in parallel to the back up solenoid. If you ground them I'd expect the back up light fuse to crater first time you back up.
    If not so...well then white is (usually) ground.

6. Banned
    Just FYI. I found a wiring harness with 2 ground wires the same length as the other wires--25 feet.
    Company/brand name is Optronics.
    Thanks for the responses.

7. Member
    Be cautious. True Ground wires must hook to the pin that is backward of the others on the flat connector. If it hooks to the same pin as the blue wire they ain't ground.

8. Member
    4 pin or 5 pin connector? 5 provides the reverse signal for the trailer brake solenoid and trailer reverse lights.