Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nitro Trailer Diamond Plate - Be aware....

I was trying to load the boat on a fairly steep ramp with a high cross wind the other day. I caught the right edge of the hull just on top of the edge of the right fender. Before I knew it, it dropped off and all appeared to be good.

However, I noticed in the garage the other day that that edge was damaged fairly good by I believe the diamond plate on top of the fender. My fault, but did not expect damage like this from that kind of FU...

So be aware... Not what you want....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KCLOST; 07-26-2019 at 09:33 AM.
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

2. Member
    Dang! Sorry that happened to you. I've often wondered about that when I see guys with diamond plates on the fenders. I have fiberglass fenders with carpet on the inboard side of the wheel wells. But when the trailer's too deep or the wind is blowing during loading, the boat can get on top of the fenders and scuff them pretty bad. Good note to self...don't do diamond plates!

Sorry that happened to you brother.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

im very experienced, but have rode across my glass fenders 2 times, and both times I was like #@%& but, it worked out fine for every component. I was thinking metal fenders not so much, so I have decided I always want glass fenders
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

5. Member
    Exacty why installed quality guides on my trailer. I'm either loading alone, at a sketchy backwoods launch or my bride is driving it on. Guides really help eliminate problems.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinF View Post
    Exacty why installed quality guides on my trailer. I'm either loading alone, at a sketchy backwoods launch or my bride is driving it on. Guides really help eliminate problems.
    What guides did you get? I've thought about them for my single axle as I have gone over the fenders a couple of times with not so good results. I was able to do a repair on my white hull that is hardly noticeable. I learned pretty quick that the trailer needs to be shallower than my previous boats. As long as I do that all is good.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

7. Member
    Don't know the brand...got them at Cabela's in the fall of 2015. Don't think they offer them any more. Very heavy duty and no flex.
    20190727_095247.jpg20190727_095309.jpg

8. Member
    You're right, they show sold out. I actually had them tagged for a later purchase. May not happen now.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

9. Member
    Ouch! I feel your pain

10. Member
    FF25C7A4-AEB7-42EB-A986-21252BCCD2F0.jpeg

Same thing happened to me back in the spring....just my 2nd time in the boat.....I’ve accidentally rolled up on fenders before with previous boats and this type of damage didn’t happen.....I took it back to my dealer the same day it happened because i had only had it about a month or so at the time....they supposedly reported it to Tracker to see what can be done to repair it. Still no word back yet. Seems like with the boat being so new they would stand behind their product and fix it. It shouldn’t have ever happened. Seems like poor quality to me . Just my 2 cents

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KJW83 View Post
    FF25C7A4-AEB7-42EB-A986-21252BCCD2F0.jpeg

Same thing happened to me back in the spring....just my 2nd time in the boat.....I’ve accidentally rolled up on fenders before with previous boats and this type of damage didn’t happen.....I took it back to my dealer the same day it happened because i had only had it about a month or so at the time....they supposedly reported it to Tracker to see what can be done to repair it. Still no word back yet. Seems like with the boat being so new they would stand behind their product and fix it. It shouldn’t have ever happened. Seems like poor quality to me . Just my 2 cents
    Check the screws on in side of fenders - my buddy and I have new z20s with same issue believe it's from sliding down the carpeted part and boat catches screw heads

12. Member
    The mechanic at the dealer I bought mine at said to leave 2/3 of the runners out of the water because people were having their trailers to far and the boat was getting over on the fenders
    2022 Ranger RB190
    Mercury 115 Proxs

Metal fenders means u power load. Dunk the trailer to wet the boards, and pull it up about where the fenders are halfway out of the water.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Metal fenders means u power load. Dunk the trailer to wet the boards, and pull it up about where the fenders are halfway out of the water.
    Exactly. I have the new Gatorbaks that are supposedly ok for power loading. I'm waiting on the new boards to dry enough to paint to get them on. I certainly hope I can still power load with the trailer shallow. We shall see, this fall.
    Jim

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    I have not heard this, can you elaborate? I can't think of a reason why the fender material would dictate how you load the boat. I have metal fenders and power load as you describe but I figured the process would be the same with fiberglass fenders.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

Elaboration in the above posts. Your boat will center better with more trailer out of the water. Most of us power load... Its just more important that the depth is right with metal fenders.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Its just more important that the depth is right with metal fenders.
    Exactly.... With a steep ramp and windy day be sure not to make the blunder I did....
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

18. Member
    I had my team partner's brand new Z20 at Green Lake in Spicer in June and the waves were crashing in to the boat ramp. I loaded like I always have for the past 23 years and ended-up doing the same thing (chipping up the fiberglass). He did it too a week later under similar conditions. That diamond plate on the top of the metal fenders is a really bad idea. Dealer wouldn'tcover it even though he is sponsored by them. He ended-up turning it into his insurance but still cost me half of the deductible. He'll never order another trailer without fiberglass fenders.
    Last edited by One Holer; 08-31-2019 at 08:52 PM.
    2017 Nitro Z19
    200 Mercury ProXS
    52" 36v 112 lb Minnkota Fortrex
    Lowrance HDS 9 Gen 3 Bow & Console
    2 PowerPole Blades
    Hydrowave H2 Fish Attractor

at least half of the fender should be out of water on any ramp, You are backing in to far, this is not a manufacturing problem. it is a training/experiance problem. Done right the fenders can help get the boat roughly centered to settle in the bunks
    Thank You Leon Pugh

20. Member
    I did this EXACT same thing to my 2019 Z20 a few months ago. Any way this is covered under warranty as this is clearly a design flaw?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast