2019 Ranger Z520C battery

Hello, need a bit of info.. I have a 2019 Ranger Z520C cup boat I just picked up. I only have about 25hrs on it and the Interstate cranking battery appears to be toast. It has everything running terribly and won’t hold a charge. Appears to just be a bad one. Just called the dealer who said bring it in he will giv e me a replacement. They are 36 month free replacement apparently. Question is will I be able to just disconnect the old one and hook up the new without having to do anything special? No startup sequence or anything particular? I’ve heard some story just wanted to ask anyone with expertise. Thanks so much in advance. 250 proxs 4 stroke

2. Member
    McCormick, SC - By way of Aubrey,TX ,Buford, GA and originally Kettering, OH
    First of all your dealer should be the one to change out the batteries. There should not be anything that needs to be programmed or a special sequence.

Second, when I bought mine I upgraded to an Interstate AGM through my dealer and after a year no issues. In my experience the Interstates have the poorest performance record.
    2020 520L / 250 PRO XS 4S

3. Member
    Great thanks for the reply! Yeah, I’m sure he definitely would if I was near but I’m about 12 hours away from the dealer I bought the boat from. I meant the local interstate dealer. I had odyssey’s in my Gambler for 5 years without any issues. This is just what came with the boat. It’s a group 31 agm interstate marine. Not impressed so far..Thanks for the info

4. Member
    My 19 came with a Interstate AGM. Last saturday fished a tournament in 100 degree temps with both lowrance 12's running and airerator pumps running all day with zero issues. I was spectical about this battery but so far awesome performance.

5. Tico
    Cheap Interstate batteries have given a lot of guys problems; not all but many guys, just get rid of them and get some better batteries. Cheap/Bad batteries (whichever brand) will eventually ruin a fishing day on you.

I understand that Interstate batteries are now made in Mexico and since then the quality has taken a noise dive. When I order my Ranger it was without any interstate batteries. I will never own a Interstate battery but I have found out the best battery for marine use is the NorthStar. NorthStar is still made in America and have proven to be reliable since using 2010.

You might also want to check your charger. The Charger on my new Ranger was set for default Lead Acid batteries. Each bank can be programmed for the type of battery its connected to.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

8. Member
    I had interstate batteries for six years before I had to replace them, have them in my new boat so far so good.

Mine came with garbage Interstate. Immediately went out and replaced all 4. My starting battery is an X2 and the trolling batteries are
    Duracell. No issues.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunna View Post
    I had interstate batteries for six years before I had to replace them, have them in my new boat so far so good.
    last 2 boats ran interstate. No issues ..Did Chang’s out one set also about 6 yrs old

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

11. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Interstates are garbage. Replace them all with a quality AGM...

I've got (4) NorthStar/Batteries Plus X2's in mine, zero issues.

Good luck

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

12. Member
    I would just recommend putting a strip of tape or zip tie around all the positive connections and all the negative connections before you take them loose. It will save your time from that one ground that slips down and you don’t see it and don’t hook it up.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 18RangerZ520L View Post
    Interstates are garbage. Replace them all with a quality AGM...

I've got (4) NorthStar/Batteries Plus X2's in mine, zero issues.

Good luck
    . Agree Northstar group 31 and plug your house into it .(it’s a beast) will run everything you have all day and then some. Just make sure you 2 or 3 people to help you lift it in ������
    2017 521c 2022 Mercury ProXS 250 4S

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJJ View Post
    I would just recommend putting a strip of tape or zip tie around all the positive connections and all the negative connections before you take them loose. It will save your time from that one ground that slips down and you don’t see it and don’t hook it up.
    Good idea. I never thought of that.