Thread: Dead on water!

Dead on water!

Engine Serial Number 2B126078
    2. Year/Make/Model 2016 Mercury ProXS
    3. Prop you are Running N/A
    4. Current Maximum RPM N/A
    5. Idle and WOT Water Pressure Readings ...

Went fishing yesterday.. ran about 15 miles to where I was going to fish and as I was coming off pad the motor died... would not start and will not start... Acts like it wants to turnover but wont do it....
    I've never blown an engine so don't know if that is the case...

It's under warranty and I've also never had to utilize that. My assumption is I call the warranty folks, get an authorization number and then take it to a certified dealer/mechanic? Anyone with experience please help!!!

Also, I have the vessel view and not one fault is showing up on the engine.... ????

Any advice? or thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Before taking it to the dealer, make sure the kill switch tether didn't come off or just enough to kill the motor.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

3. Member
    Checked the kill switch on the water. also, thought it could be battery issue so used my jumper to make sure it was getting the juice it needed...

One other interesting bit was that if I held the key in start position it would "kinda" stay running but never really kick over.

4. Member
    no need to call merc just call dealer and make appointment theyll handle the rest
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Update:
    The factory warrant is expired but I have the premier protection plan (aftermarket) covers everything and deductible is $100... Anyone ever dealt with them? White River financial I think is the backer.. or at least on the card..

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ledgeman View Post
    Update:
    The factory warrant is expired but I have the premier protection plan (aftermarket) covers everything and deductible is $100... Anyone ever dealt with them? White River financial I think is the backer.. or at least on the card..
    Never dealt with them... be sure to report back and let us know how that coverage did (may help others).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Never dealt with them... be sure to report back and let us know how that coverage did (may help others).
    What Don wrote...PLEASE. A lot of guys ask about this type of coverage. White River is Bass Pro/Johnny Morris so it will be interesting to see how it works out for the OP.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

8. Member
    +++++ 1 report back please
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

11. Member
    well since folks are ready with popcorn here is my update so far...

Need a new fuel rail system.... They called me this morning after diagnosing issue. That was at 10:30am.

They had approval and work authorization from White River group by 1pm.

Ordering my stuff Monday morning and will let me know time frame on fix and install.... My cost is $10 in shop supplies plus my deductible of $100. At least that is what I am being told at this point and don't see any reason why it would change.

I am having them change the plugs and impeller while they are in there.... Been over 125hrs on both since change.

So I will have cost for the added maintenance.

Sounds like it may work out pretty well for you....happy to hear that.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

13. Member
    final update: Picked my boat up today

Only cost to me was the plugs/impeller and gear lube/labor for my additional requested work...

Will send my $100 deductible directly to warranty folks and dealer is waiting on payment from them...

All in all one of the most painless processes i've gone through from a repair standpoint.

Entire fuel rail assembly was replaced... Not sure what the total was but she verbalized well over 2k for the job...

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you find out how quickly the dealer gets paid... be sure to let us know. Sounds real good so far... but also "waiting on payment" at this point.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    final update.

All parties are satisfied and the dealer made it point to tell me that this company was the most pleasant to deal with of all the insurance folks they have dealt with.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Great to hear! Might be a good idea to make a post in the Loans and Warranties Forum (a general review of your experience) so others can benefit from it.