Ultrex owners I need some help

I just recently switched from a motorguide to a 24v ultrex on my champ. I have garmin finders so im not linked and I’m using the garmin transducer on the bottom of the head. My question is when I’m in the water and I’m using heading lock on a slower speed the head will tend to move left and right instead of just staying on it’s course. I can’t notice that the bot is moving off of its course it’s just the annoyance of the head steering left and right in short increments. Is this part of normal operation?

2. Member
    The Ultrex actually maintains a true compas-point heading. As such, the unit makes small adjustments to stay on course if blown off course by wind or current. The old-school units that you would head in one direction and hit the power button might wind up 50 yards off course because the unit just just set the steering straight and did not account for factors that might affect actual direction.

So long story short, your Ultrex is working as intended.

I went back to legacy autopilot using the remote on my Ultrex. The advanced auto pilot didn't seem to function as well as the legacy for my needs, which were mostly just keeping the nose point up in to current so I could slow my drift. If I'm actually trolling for crappie or trout, then the advanced auto pilot worked fine, especially if there was stiff cross wind.
    2017 Legend SS 1860 Semi-V
    2013 Evinrude Etec 150/105 jet drive
    Minn kota Ultrex Quest Trolling Motor
    Humminbird Helix 9 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N (console)
    Garmin Echomap Ultra 106sv with LVS32 transducer (bow)
    YouTube: youtube.com/Etec86

4. Member
    One other quick thought is be sure your engine is as straight as possible. I have seen it "hunt" trying to keep the boat straight when the outboard was turned slightly, especially if autopilot is set to advanced.

Stratos 21XL Magnum
    Mercury 250 Pro XB

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by st041986 View Post
    I went back to legacy autopilot using the remote on my Ultrex. The advanced auto pilot didn't seem to function as well as the legacy for my needs, which were mostly just keeping the nose point up in to current so I could slow my drift. If I'm actually trolling for crappie or trout, then the advanced auto pilot worked fine, especially if there was stiff cross wind.
    What is legacy auto pilot vs advanced?

6. Member
    Legacy does not compensate for current or wind drift and uses only the heading sensor. Advanced uses both heading and gps to try and maintain a specific track. There is a real good explanation in the operators manual.

Stratos 21XL Magnum
    Mercury 250 Pro XB

advanced drops a line and will pull the motor across that line, at slow speeds we fish it will drift off and then try to get you back on that line

legacy drops a compass heading like say 90* (east) and at slow speeds playing the wind you may actually travel at 135* (SE) but the motor will still be pointing 90* on a compass. i only use legacy, and with Birds and link you can set it to always automaticcal use legacy just encase any other readers are interested. (EVEN ON OLDER NON Bluetooth models)should be doable in the remote as well on blue tooth models, and older non link you can press and hold N^ till the circle goes away and this is legacy

but yes if there are waves the compass rolls a little making the motor steer ever so slightly back and fourth. normal
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

8. Member
    Yeah... ^^^^^

Stratos 21XL Magnum
    Mercury 250 Pro XB