Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SUV Recommendation for backup/in town towing

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a midsized SUV that can town a Skeeter zx225 for in town, backup towing. My wife will be getting a new vehicle this winter and I am exploring options. Would an SUV rated for 5000 lbs be enough? Doesnt need to tow like a dream.

5,000 lbs. is probably ok. Lots of mid size suv's carry that rating. I used to tow with a MDX and it did fine. The Audi Q7 has a tow capacity of 7700 lbs. and is a very nice luxury ride.

3. Member
    We are in the same situation. Wife pulls my Triton 190FS with her ‘18 Chevy Traverse. Tow capacity is 5200 lbs. and has a tow mode option. That Traverse pulls it with ease. She gets 15+ mpg on the highway. Even pulls the hills here in CA easily. My guess is your rig would be a little heavier but should do it.

4. Member
    AWD Limited 4 Runner, we've had two and I've pulled 20' bass boats all over with them. One of them was a V8 and one a V6. Obviously the old V8 was better at pulling. My wife left them for two years and recently bought a three year old Lexus GX460. They are just an old school body on frame AWD platform. The rest of the world knows them as a Land Cruiser Prado or J150. Good to go for a couple hundred thousand miles.

5. Member
    I have a tin RT188. It weighs approximately 2700 lbs. I have no problem towing it with my Hyundai Santa Fe that's rated for 3800 lbs.

I have a Nitro Z7 on a single axle trailer that weighs about 3000 lbs. I trailer it with my Ford Escape Titanium 4WD with the EcoBoost 4 cylinder turbo engine. The rating on the factory trailer package is 3500 lbs. and I have a trailer towing program flashed into the ECM that makes towing easy.

7. Member
    We are about to order a 2020 Explorer with the 2.3 ecoboost and tow package. If memory serves the factory tow package option has the larger radiator and transmission cooler. The tow rating is 5300. We wanted the 20 model for rear wheel drive.

8. Member
    We have a 2014 FWD explorer that we pull all our boats with and even a 18ft barge. Doesn’t weigh much but catches wind like a kit! Pulls it with no issues. No issues pulling out of the water either

9. Member
    Talk her into a Tacoma! Then both of you will have fun... Sorry I couldn't help myself.
    CrusinArnd
    1994 Ranger 482VS
    1993 Merc 175
    Call it the Puddle Jumper....

10. Member
    Man-up. Buy her a F150 Supercrew with the 5.0 Coyote engine. The truck has a very smooth ride, runs like a scalded ass monkey down the highway when you want it to. Most importantly, she wont get pushed into an intersection by the boat if she has to jam on the brakes. Happened to me twice before I switched to towing with a bigger vehicle.

11. Member
    Dodge Durango would be my choice. The v6 can haul 6,200lbs and the v8 7,500lbs. I have a 2012 SXT v6 and can’t even tell the boat is back there, and my trailer doesn’t have brakes either. I Still get 20-22mpg on county roads and 19-21mpg on interstate at 70mph. Also they have a ton of interior cargo room, and they are thousands cheaper than the same year keep grand cherokees (same vehicle diff body), ford explorers, and Toyota highlanders while having a higher towing capacity. They have that wicked muscle car look to them too
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

12. Member
    Currently have a 2018 Grand Cherokee with 5.7L V8, tows great, plenty of power, the 8spd trans is really quite a nice piece. I had a Grand Cherokee with the 3.0L EcoDiesel before, also towed great, the torque was so nice. Also with the 8spd trans, such a great match up. I don't know if they are readily available with the diesel anymore, I had issues with mine. If they have worked the problems out that seemed to be common, I'd have to recommend give it a strong look. But for a nearly total no-worries drivetrain, hard to beat the Grand with hemi. I don't worry about mileage too much, I've only put 8000 miles on it in a year, but for obvious reasons, there are more fuel efficient engine out there. That said, it's pretty reliable and if you save 2, 3, 5mpg on a different vehicle, well, do the math, the savings is often not what it seems. I prefer to have a tow rating that exceeds what I'm towing by a good bit for some head room.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

13. Member
    A used, older Jeep liberty automatic will comfortably tow 5000lbs and they can be had for as little as 3 grand(what I paid for my 2006). Something else to consider if you're on a budget at all.

14. Member
    Thanks all for the recommendations. We are going to lease her something. Probably a telluride or a durango are the front runners for her. Telluride has 5000lb capacity standard, whatever that means...

Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    Thanks all for the recommendations. We are going to lease her something. Probably a telluride or a durango are the front runners for her. Telluride has 5000lb capacity standard, whatever that means...
    If you go with the Telluride please post a review after you have it for awhile.

16. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    We were waiting for the Telluride but the lack of a decent engine made us shy away from it. It’s a large vehicle to not have an optional motor. I hope they add a stronger engine in it soon because we like the way it looks and how big it is.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    Man-up. Buy her a F150 Supercrew with the 5.0 Coyote engine. The truck has a very smooth ride, runs like a scalded ass monkey down the highway when you want it to. Most importantly, she wont get pushed into an intersection by the boat if she has to jam on the brakes. Happened to me twice before I switched to towing with a bigger vehicle.
    Slow down
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

18. Member
    If she wants a Telluride then that’s what I’d get her. My BIL almost traded his Jeep GC for one, but it wasn’t big enough for his three growing kids. His Eco Diesel Jeep just gave him fits. Fiat Chrysler gave him3K under the law suit and he traded it for a Honda mini van. I’ve pulled his man card LOL.

I think the Telluride was 65/35 on the AWD? If that’s the best you can get I’d for sure get it living in NY and pulling a 20’er. Our ramps get slicker than snot in the summer. I’ve walked around stuff on slick ramps in the winter with Yoters AWD with the center locker. Then again not many vehicles come with a center locker. My wife LOVES knowing she can go anywhere anytime. She’s actually used her downhill assist in the snow...it works! Put your wife in the vehicle she’s comfortable driving.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeGraaf View Post
    Slow down
    haha

Wife’s Chevy Tahoe pulls mine great.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast