Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New basscat owner!

Hello just purchased my second bass boat and my first basscat the boat is a 2003 pantera classic and I've had it about 1 month and love it so far! Have some questions

So this boat has a mercury optimax 175hp with a trophy 4 blade 24p prop and 6" Manual slide master jack plate.
    The best i can get out of the boat is 64mph on my GPS. Does this seem about right? What I will say is the boat has smart craft gauges so I cannot over rev it. When I approach 64mph if I trim up anymore I begin to sound the alarm for the rev limiter. I'm not sure about the jack plate position I haven't touched it. At 64mph though I'm definitely in top of the water and can kinda feel what I believe is chine walk. From reading around most of these boats are doing 72-75 with the 200. Would I be off 10mph with a 175? Even have seen some with a 150 claiming 66mph gps. Anyways thanks for any feedback and help and glad to be here

2. Member
    If your motor is strong, I’d guess you’re capable of upper 60’s without too much tackle. I’ve got a 2018 Sabre with 175 Pro XS 2 stroke. Your boat weighs about the same as mine. A 24 Fury (3 blade) will do 69.5-69.8 @ 5850-70 rpms (Smartcraft) depending on how much gas is in my tank in the Summer with only me. I ran a 24 Tempest last week to 68.5 with about 25 gallons of gas & livewells full at 5910 rpms. All these numbers are at flush on the jackplate or 1/8” below flush. It sounds like that 24 Trophy is a bit too small. Most people like a Fury on the Classic. Yours should scoot with a 24 Fury without hitting the Limiter. If you like the Trophy, then try to borrow a 25 pitch.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CB_SabreFTD18 View Post
    If your motor is strong, I’d guess you’re capable of upper 60’s without too much tackle. I’ve got a 2018 Sabre with 175 Pro XS 2 stroke. Your boat weighs about the same as mine. A 24 Fury (3 blade) will do 69.5-69.8 @ 5850-70 rpms (Smartcraft) depending on how much gas is in my tank in the Summer with only me. I ran a 24 Tempest last week to 68.5 with about 25 gallons of gas & livewells full at 5910 rpms. All these numbers are at flush on the jackplate or 1/8” below flush. It sounds like that 24 Trophy is a bit too small. Most people like a Fury on the Classic. Yours should scoot with a 24 Fury without hitting the Limiter. If you like the Trophy, then try to borrow a 25 pitch.
    Yea I was thinking about trying to Barrow one. Motor is very strong and had its services done by boat works its entire life. Yea I was thinking the 4 blade was robbing 2-3mph up top. I'll see if I can find a 24p fury

4. Member
    Need info on the rpms you are turning and Prop to pad distance. I think you'll top out around 68 in the real world.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    Need info on the rpms you are turning and Prop to pad distance. I think you'll top out around 68 in the real world.
    I'll have to figure out the prop to pad. As far as rpms go out 64mph if i trim up more I hit the limiter which is 5750rpm

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pantera.03 View Post
    I'll have to figure out the prop to pad. As far as rpms go out 64mph if i trim up more I hit the limiter which is 5750rpm
    Well been a while but finally got around to measuring p2p and its 3.25"
    24p trophy plus
    Top speed 62 maaaayybeee 63 if perfect conditions.

7. Member
    I believe you could bump up to the 24 Fury 3. It would get you off the rev limiter and gain a couple of mph.
    Hows the hole shot with the Trophy? The Fury may slow the hole shot slightly.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    I believe you could bump up to the 24 Fury 3. It would get you off the rev limiter and gain a couple of mph.
    Hows the hole shot with the Trophy? The Fury may slow the hole shot slightly.
    Hole shot is good unless gas tanks full and livewell full and partner then it slows down some. Something worth noting is at WOT and top speed I cant turn left unless i back out of the throttle. Which from researching some sounds like I should start by lowering the engine .25"

Hello just purchased my second bass boat and my first basscat the boat is a 2003 pantera classic and I've had it about 1 month and love it so far! Have some questions

So this boat has a mercury optimax 175hp with a trophy 4 blade 24p prop and 6" Manual slide master jack plate.
    The best i can get out of the boat is 64mph on my GPS. Does this seem about right? What I will say is the boat has smart craft gauges so I cannot over rev it. When I approach 64mph if I trim up anymore I begin to sound the alarm for the rev limiter. I'm not sure about the jack plate position I haven't touched it. At 64mph though I'm definitely in top of the water and can kinda feel what I believe is chine walk. From reading around most of these boats are doing 72-75 with the 200. Would I be off 10mph with a 175? Even have seen some with a 150 claiming 66mph gps. Anyways thanks for any feedback and help and glad to be here
    I have owned one of those and my best friend still has 95 with a 200, with the 175 I would highly recommend a 24 Tempest plus with only one large pvs plug in it. Expect it to run 66-68 under good conditions at lower elevations depending on loads, about 3.25 P to P. 200Hp would run 68 to 70 tournament loaded, That boat will run the best at far less than full trim up. Try to set up so in perfect condition running light it bumps the limiter
    Dont take too much stock in to many of these claims, 66 with a 150 is doable with perfect conditions and proper setup, takes about 10 hp for every mph of gain
    If fury prop is used it would need a 23 P. I would not recommend a Fury unless you are willing to drop another 300 in to it and have it reworked by Ronnie Gilbert, In stock form the Tempest is a little better

Thank You Leon Pugh

10. Member
    Hole shot is good unless gas tanks full and livewell full and partner then it slows down some. Something worth noting is at WOT and top speed I cant turn left unless i back out of the throttle. Which from researching some sounds like I should start by lowering the engine .25"
    You set the JP up with the amount of left steering torque in the steering wheel. You definitely need to lower it. You want to have slight left torque in the wheel while running WOT and properly trimmed. If its feels loose and the boat response is sloppy, raise it.
    I usually do 1/4 inch movements.
    This may also lower your RPM's slightly at WOT.

Also, as lpugh stated above, the 23 Fury would probably be the best overall prop. If its still touching the limiter, send it to Ronnie Gilbert and he will get it to perform as it should. He can always add cup to the smaller prop.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

11. Member
    Ok well I will definitely start by dropping the jack plate 1/4 and see what that does and then looks for a 23p fury or a 24p tempest plus to try out. Definitely not buying one without a test!

12. Member
    You boat may need less trim than you are used to also, trim up slowly and let the boat settle, then bump the trim slightly again.

13. Member
    so I'm on the water right now. Dropped jackplate 1/4 inch and it feels much better can turn left now with little resistance. Top speed I get is 62.9 that's with water pressure st 16 and rooster tail below cowl or right at. If I trim more gauges start beeping telling me I'm hitting limiter. 5750
    Merc optimax 175hp
    Trophy plus 24p

14. Member
    so I'm on the water right now. Dropped jackplate 1/4 inch and it feels much better can turn left now with little resistance. Top speed I get is 62.9 that's with water pressure st 16 and rooster tail below cowl or right at. If I trim more gauges start beeping telling me I'm hitting limiter. 5750
    Merc optimax 175hp
    Trophy plus 24p
    cats dont like much trim
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

15. Member
    I believe your running and trimming correctly. Just need a bit more pitch on the prop. Its a good problem to have.
    You could contact Ronnie Gilbert and see if he can work your current prop. He would be able to give you the best options to improve overall performance, while getting you off the limiter.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

16. Member
    Is there an email for him

Is there an email for him
    337 380 1437 Calling is better, he is a great guy and will want to discuss specifics with you
    Thank You Leon Pugh

18. Member
    Thanks. I'll give him a call Monday

19. Member
    Drop it another 1/4, see how it does.

20. Member
    Talked with ronnie gilbert for a while today. Great guy! Pretty sure I'll be sending the prop his way. He thinks I should be running around the 68mph range and believes once the prop is tuned and doing its job I'll need to raise the plate back up around 3" p2p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast