Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Horrible Vexus repair.

IMG-4107.JPGIMG-4037.JPGIMG-4038.JPGIMG-4041.JPGIMG-4042.JPGIMG-4035.JPGIMG-4039.JPG

I had sustained cracks in the hull welds of the boat during a tournament. I had water up over the batteries and had to beach the boat because I thought it might sink. I sent it back to Vexus to get fixed. After they had it for about 2 weeks, they called the dealer and told them that they had found gravel in the boat and claimed that we had hit something. They never called me directly to ask me what had happened. We told the dealer that we did not hit anything and I had to beach the boat. I even told someone at Vexus about beaching the boat. When I got the boat back after 3 missed deadlines, and a total of 4 weeks I was not happy. Also during the 4 weeks they had the boat, I never received a call from Vexus unless I called them first. I spoke to Ryan Patterson at Vexus who assured me it was structurally sound. I told him I had no doubt that is was, but I was not happy with the welds and the overall fix. I told him that it looked like I went to a mom and pop shop and had them do it. He mentioned the gravel they found and I told him about me having to beach the boat. He seemed shocked about this information as if he had not heard about it, he then said that it made sense why there was gravel in the cracks of the welds. When asked if this fix was a manufacture defect fix he kind of danced around the question and kept telling me it was structurally sound. I told him I was not satisfied with this fix and that I wanted to email Keith Daffron about it. He told me he would have Keith call me and that Keith was well aware of this situation. I spoke to Keith a couple days later as we had played phone tag and he told me that this was a “in Goodwill“ fix As this was not a manufacture defect. He said because they found gravel in the hull of the boat in the cracks in the welds that we must’ve hit something. I told him that I did not hit anything other than waves on the water and then I had to beach the boat. I told him that I was unhappy with the way the welds look and the entire repair of the hull. He said that it’s kind of difficult to weld in that area, And he challenged anybody to do a better job. I asked him if somebody else brought in a boat with the manufacturer defects that I had with cracks in the welds of the hull, if this would be the same fix and he said “I can’t say for sure”. He said the was the best they could do and that nothing more could be done. I asked him again If somebody brought in a boat with the same issues that I had that was a manufacture defect if they would receive the same fix he changed his story and said “yes”. I asked for a letter on their letterhead stating that this was a Vexus approved fix and he said they would not do that.t because I thought it might sink. I sent it back to Vexus to get fixed. After they had it for about 2 weeks, they called the dealer and told them that they had found gravel in the boat and claimed that we had hit something. They never called me directly to ask me what had happened. We told the dealer that we did not hit anything and I had to beach the boat. I even told someone at Vexus about beaching the boat. When I got the boat back after 3 missed deadlines, and a total of 4 weeks I was not happy. Also during the 4 weeks they had the boat, I never received a call from Vexus unless I called them first. I spoke to Ryan Patterson at Vexus who assured me it was structurally sound. I told him i had no doubt that is was, but I was not happy with the welds and the looks of the fix. I told him that it looked like I went to a mom and pop shop and had them do it. He mentioned the gravel they found and I told him about me having to beach the boat. He seemed shocked about this information as if he had not heard about it, he then said that it made sense why there was gravel in the cracks of the welds. When asked if this fix was a manufacture defect fix he kind of danced around the question and kept telling me it was structurally sound. I told him I was not satisfied with this fix and that I wanted to email Keith Daffron about it. He told me he would have Keith call me and that Keith was well aware of this situation. I spoke to Keith a couple days later as we had played phone tag and he told me that this was a “in Goodwill“ fix As this was not a manufacture defect. He said because they found gravel in the whole of the boat in the cracks in the welds that we must’ve hit something. I told him that I did not hit anything other than waves in the water and then I had to beach the boat. I told him that I was unhappy with the way the welds look in the entire look of the whole fix on the hull and he said that it’s kind of difficult to weld in that area, And he challenged anybody to do a better job. I asked him if somebody else brought in a boat with the manufacturer defects that I had with cracks in the welds of the hull, if this would be the same fix and he said “I can’t say for sure”. He said the was the best they could do and that nothing more could be done. I asked him again If somebody brought in a boat with the same issues that I had that was a manufacture defect if they would receive the same fix he changed his story and said “yes”. I asked for a letter on their letterhead stating that this was a Vexus approved fix as I had concerns when I try to sell the boat (If anyone would buy it at this point) and he said they would not do that. Keep in mind there was no other damage to the hull of the boat other than the weld cracks and their sole basis for claiming I had hit something was because they had found gravel in the hull. I am extremely disappointed with these guys to say the least and at this point I just want to get rid of this boat and be done with them. I would strongly urge people to use caution with Vexus, they control most of the owners groups on Facebook and would not allow me to post anything. The even removed other posts from the group that showed some problems with the boat. One of them was one regarding a fuel fill line that was cut by the aluminum framing of the boat which is a serious issue.

2. Member
    Sounds to me you hit something. Namely the bottom of the waterway you were in.

3. Member
    Where are the pictures of the broken welds? What do you expect, it to look brand new? If anything, it looks like they keel is doubled up, kind of like how your post is lol. that 1st picture. Is that a crack on the front edge of that repair?

Welding the crack is the only way to fix a crack in aluminum. Looks like they welded it up.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

5. Member
    Any photos of that same area before the repair? Sorry you had such bad luck with your Vexus. With the leaking fuel tank and then this, you have had quite the drama with your boat. I can see where you might be feeling done with your Vexus. It’s a sad situation.

With that said, the weld looks very well done. In those circumstances of patching a hole in a hull it’s as well done as anyone would be able to do in my opinion. Their intent was to make it very strong, so the weld is thicker than if done on an assembly line.
    Last edited by Jimbug; 07-25-2019 at 05:27 PM.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

6. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Hate you had some issues but the repair doesn’t look that bad to me.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

Shouldnt have happened in the first place but its good that they fixed it. Anybody can see theres no damage around there from you hitting something.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Hopefully there is more to the story in the end and they will fix you up, to your approval. I've been through some headaches with a few big name aluminum boat manufacturers. Never again will I do business with an aluminum boat "factory". I hear stories like this often when people have issues with their aluminum boats. You will get negative feedback from folks because they feel you are insulting "their" boat. People will line up to tell you their's is just fine and you got a lemon, but in all actuality, they may not even use their boat as much or in the same conditions as you. I really feel your pain man. If you are like me and want to stay with aluminum because of durability, you need to look into a custom 316 hull. Get the boat built that you thought you were getting elsewhere. If not, go to fiberglass. The big aluminum boat companies are selling so many boats now, they will not accommodate you. If they sell a thousand rigs to people who do not encounter less than desirable conditions and don't get out much, it makes them look great. You got into some waves and had some welds crack. That should not have happened. You expressed your issues and concerns, only to be told that you hit something. Again, I don't know the other side's story, but it sounds like you need to keep spreading the word about the horrible customer service, and run away quickly, if that's how they treat customers when an issue arises. I really had high hopes for Vexus. I really wanted to see them own the market with an actual quality mass produced aluminum pad hull bass boats, to make the others step up their game. I hope you get things worked out man.

2018 21' GatorTrax Strike Series, 250 Yamaha SHO

9. Member
    First Commandment - Thou shalt not question The Revolution™

Just kidding OP, its a terrible situation and I hope it works out for you.

10. Member
    I don’t see anything wrong with the welding either.

11. Member
    IMG-3803.JPGIMG-3792.JPG

Here are the before pictures. I am not a welder, so I have gotten the opinion's several professional welders, and all of them have said this was a horrible weld job. Not to mention there is a cut in the patch metal they used to repair the cracks. If this is an acceptable repair, then why did they refuse to put it in writing. When I go to sell this boat, people are going to look at that repair and walk away.

12. Member
    BoatNoobie, to answer your question, yes, on a warranty repair it should look like new. And yes that is a cut in the metal patch they put on the boat

13. Banned
    Other than the cracked weld, those are some serious looking gouges in the metal. You got that from beaching the boat in some gravel?

Based off the pictures it appears that the boat was beached multiple times. This is where I think they are saying that it could have been an impact that caused the damage. Also the piece that has a cut put in it appears to be a cap for the keel. It should have been welded but shouldn't effect it structurally. I would just put some marine epoxy on that small cut, add some touch up paint for it epoxy and go fishing.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
    Other than the cracked weld, those are some serious looking gouges in the metal. You got that from beaching the boat in some gravel?

it was a mixture of mostly rock and some gravel. The boat was beached for over an hour while the water was being pumped out, not
    to mention having to be pulled back up on the rocks as it would slip back into the water.

16. Member
    Document, Document, and document some more.I hate to hear that this has occurred on a Vexus, and I hope you get the issue resolved, as I hear ya on resale when the time comes. I am pretty anal on keeping my machines looking good and running good, and this would drive me nuts.

17. Member
    Those are some pretty deep scratches but in no way should that weld have split open from them.

18. Member
    Looking at the before pictures it is easy to understand why Vexus deemed the damage to not be manufacture defect. The bottom of the boat appears to have been subjected to some severe abuse by the operator.

19. Member
    Some of ya'll that are saying it's no big deal and to slap some putty into the missed weld are crazy. You just spent $40k, or more, of your hard earned money on a brand new boat and you would ok with it being a fixed wreck over night? Let me come bash your car doors in with a hammer, you can just bondo the dent and it'll be like new again....
    The scratches are deep and plenty of them, but you can't keyboard quarterback them from your smartphone screen and say that didn't happen when the boat was full of water, to the verge of going under, and hit the gravel bank with some speed. If you can tell that didn't happen from your tiny screen on some pictures, you should go work at NASA and leave us peons to do the fishing.

The problem with that facebook group I don't believe is Vexus, it's the owners and even the non owner group admin. They take it way too personal when someone has an issue with the boat. They take it as a personal jab and immediately get butt hurt and delete it. It's blatantly obvious.

The owner that had the issue with the fuel line pouring gas into his bilge was incredibly stupid to delete. Every boat has fuel lines ran the same way and if one boat already chaffed through the line, then many more could and will do the same. It's a good warning to owners to keep an eye out and know immediately where to start looking if there's an issue. Instead, the admin took it as a personal attack and clicked delete.

Did you beach it at the ramp or just a random spot on the lake?

Once a crack starts it is not going to stop spreading and it probably got worse on the ride back to the ramp if that's what you did. As it got bigger more flex, more crack.

Surprised to see something like this on a Vexus with all the support built into the hull.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast