Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
  1. Member
    All brands are junk, or all brands are the best at least once.
    It's how we deal with it that can suck.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Plots39 View Post
    I haven't read this whole thread....but those "before pictures" tell me you hit something prior to beaching it.
    I've inspected thousands of welds. I'm Dye penetrant, magnetic particle, ultrasonics, eddy current, API 570 and X-ray certified and I agree.
    Last edited by sandman7925; 08-20-2019 at 11:29 AM.

3. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post
    Based off the pictures it appears that the boat was beached multiple times. This is where I think they are saying that it could have been an impact that caused the damage. Also the piece that has a cut put in it appears to be a cap for the keel. It should have been welded but shouldn't effect it structurally. I would just put some marine epoxy on that small cut, add some touch up paint for it epoxy and go fishing.
    You have better eyes than mine, I couldn't see any scratches.

I had a Xpress X19 that I hit a log with at night, they totaled my boat because you cant fix the dent in aluminum.

I agree that looks like a bad patch and not a fix
    Last edited by Hickory Legend; 08-22-2019 at 10:11 PM.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    You have better eyes than mine, I couldn't see any scratches.

I had a Xpress X19 that I hit a log with at night, they totaled my boat because you cant fix the dent in aluminum.

I agree that looks like a bad patch and not a fix
    http://www.bbcboards.net/attachment....9&d=1564061977

5. Member
    I previously posted that I felt like it was caused by impact. The scratches from beaching the boat still seem suspect to me but I did do some reading about aluminum cracking in welds after. Needless to say if I was Vexus I’d cut out that section of the hull and send it to a lab to be sure there is no PMI (positive material identification) issues. If the 2 plates of aluminum were to vary in even the slightest grain structure (which would be a supplier issue) then they can expect more of the same issues. But who knows. In my line of work this is when you break out the science equipment and do your research just to be on the safe side.

6. Member
    Type of hull material and weld filler can be a problem if improper wire is used. This weld looks like what can happen when you use a softer type of wire, such as 4043 on 5000 or 6000 series aluminum. Also the weld pic looks like it was too hot and a crappy cleaning. When we have weld repaired boats, always cleaned the best possible but also used an argon back purge.
    Just my two cents.

After all that has been said about the welds and patch welds it has confirmed what I already suspected. I know nothing about welding. I’ve done a bunch of it, but just like fishing, I don’t have a clue. I hope Vexus gets the customer taken care of and they get everything figured out. There are no winners on this kind of stuff.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsch View Post
    Type of hull material and weld filler can be a problem if improper wire is used. This weld looks like what can happen when you use a softer type of wire, such as 4043 on 5000 or 6000 series aluminum. Also the weld pic looks like it was too hot and a crappy cleaning. When we have weld repaired boats, always cleaned the best possible but also used an argon back purge.
    Just my two cents.
    I agree.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Seahawks View Post
    Wow, you must have stayed at a Holiday Inn once to be able to tell all that from the pictures. Would you be able to pinpoint which scratches are new and which ones are old and about how old they are. I could possibly use this information if this becomes a legal battle.
    That's a good one man. Arm Chair quarterbacks are sooooo smart.

10. Member
    Well, Have you had anymore problems with hull after it was repaired?

I can only assume no since he hasn't posted anything for a month and half or any other discussions since August.

I am sure if there was an issue, this would be the first place it would be posted.

12. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tghtlines View Post
    ....I am sure if there was an issue, this would be the first place it would be posted.
    Uh huh, sure... less 'n the repair didn't go so well and he ended up in Davey Jones' Locker...
    That being the case, may God have mercy on his soul!
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

13. Member
    I would like to see before repair photos.
    did I miss them

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by capt odie View Post
    I would like to see before repair photos.
    did I miss them
    Post #11

15. Member
    Wow! I looked at a beautiful AVX 1980 today and came home thinking about buying it.

In an effort to learn more about Vexus aluminum boats ( after drooling on the brochure I brought home from the dealer ) I came across this thread and read all 11 pages. This cooled down my fever enough to hold off awhile on my purchase.

I am happy that Vexus is going to replace the hull for Timmy but not happy with the initial handling of his problem.

A very similar situation came up with the owner of a Suzuki 250 SS 4 stroke outboard who had major problems and Suzuki refused to help him until a lot of bad juju was posted with many people stating they were no longer considering the Zuke on their next boat or repower. After tons of pages detailing the problems the owner was having Suzuki finally shipped a new engine to the dealer to be rigged on customers boat. Details on the Suzuki outboard forum here on BBC.

What I take away from this is that both manufactures only stepped up to the plate when the squeaking wheel became so loud it could no longer be ignored.

This approach is problematic to me and makes me hesitant to drop 40 or more large on a purchase where reservations about the manufacturer doing the right thing without a major ordeal exists.

Think I will take a wait and see attitude to see if these were isolated cases.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    Wow! I looked at a beautiful AVX 1980 today and came home thinking about buying it.

In an effort to learn more about Vexus aluminum boats ( after drooling on the brochure I brought home from the dealer ) I came across this thread and read all 11 pages. This cooled down my fever enough to hold off awhile on my purchase.

I am happy that Vexus is going to replace the hull for Timmy but not happy with the initial handling of his problem.

A very similar situation came up with the owner of a Suzuki 250 SS 4 stroke outboard who had major problems and Suzuki refused to help him until a lot of bad juju was posted with many people stating they were no longer considering the Zuke on their next boat or repower. After tons of pages detailing the problems the owner was having Suzuki finally shipped a new engine to the dealer to be rigged on customers boat. Details on the Suzuki outboard forum here on BBC.

What I take away from this is that both manufactures only stepped up to the plate when the squeaking wheel became so loud it could no longer be ignored.

This approach is problematic to me and makes me hesitant to drop 40 or more large on a purchase where reservations about the manufacturer doing the right thing without a major ordeal exists.

This is 1 case out of how many boats been sold? I mean, can we really fault Vexus for initially thinking the boat hit something? I mean look at that bottom all scratched up. And finding gravel inside the hull. I am still curious as to what caused these tears. Maybe took the boat on a sweet jump. Maybe fatigue in the aluminum. Maybe the hull wasn't braced properly inside.

17. Member

you can find horror stories about every boat manufacture out there. Fiberglass and aluminum

Wow. This is the only issue I have seen like this on BBC or FB, unless someone can point me to a 2nd issue. You are basing your decision on ONE persons feedback and ZERO feedback from the brand. I am confident there is more to the story and the incident. Unfortunately, BBC only provides one side. Go onto FB Vexus Owner page and check out the guy that totaled his 2080 hitting a root ball doing 55 mph. Not a single weld cracked in that accident. The pad and the lower unit is totaled but the overall integrity of the hull structure is still intact. That speaks louder than a pissed off owner who did not get the service he expected for quite possibly an issue he caused. Just sayin.

The very large majority of owners will only have positive things to say about Vexus.

I wouldn't do too much research on ANY boat if you are going to base your decision off of one owners feedback, probably won't ever buy a boat.

And it keeps going and going and going.

1Holeshot - in short, buy with confidence. The positive far outweigh the negative. The support and backing I have received thus far has been stellar. Many owners will say the same.

You get what you pay for, I don't the price point as excessive in any way. Ranger and Xpress boats are in the same range. Want cheap, buy a tracker. But you are giving up a lot in comparison.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

Same range?

Xpress X19 Pro - 150L (base price) $31,995
    Ranger RT198P - 150L (base price) $31,195
    Tracker PT195 - 150L (base price) $31,295
    Vexus 1980 - 150L (base price) $34,395

If I am paying for the most expensive boat I expect the best product and service.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast