Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HDS 7 structure scan no source issues

I have verified I have power to the structure scan module and power to the nmea bus. I'm wondering if maybe I have an Ethernet cable bad, I ohmed the Ethernet cable coming from the box to the unit and only got continuity on 3 of the 5 pins. Should all pins have continuity? I have tried the hard reset to no avail..also is there a way to test the scan module ? The sonar works fine just no source on the structure scan page...thanks

2. Member
    18 views ...zero replied....anybody?

3. Member
    did it work before? what did you do with the yellow wake up wire?
    Chad Snow / Massachusetts
    2007 Ranger Reata 210 - Mercury Optimax 225 (#1B446134) - 12' Talons
    Carbon12’s @ Bow w/ AT- live 12 w/ 3D & live 7 @ Helm

4. Member
    The yellow wake up is on a switch, I have checked for power at the box with volt meter and do have power there and power at the nmea bus... I did ohm the Ethernet cable coming from the structure scan module to the head unit and only got continuity on three of the five pins...I'm not sure if all five pins should have continuity or not. Also was wondering if there was a way to test the structure scan module

5. Member
    Normally when I get that, no source, the side scan box isn’t on or the Ethernet cable is bad...

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter james View Post
    Normally when I get that, no source, the side scan box isn’t on or the Ethernet cable is bad...
    Should all five pins of the Ethernet cable have continuity? Also I didn't notice that my structure scan box has any lights on it

7. Member
    No lights? Check fuse for module. Good luck
    Wes

8. Member
    I did check and am getting power to the module

This pic shows my powered up LSS1 module. You can’t tell in the pic but the #2 activity light is blinking indicating activity. The devices connected to the other two ports are not powered up therefore no light.
    There are 3 boards inside the module, input power board, output Ethernet board and the motherboard.
    The power light indicates the input power is on and the sonar light indicates the motherboard is working, obviously the link lights indicate that there is Ethernet output These lights are not very bright, you may want to get into a dark place.

This indicates that the cable connected to port #2 is communicating with my console unit.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

10. Member
    Thank you Mr Bill. I'm gonna take a closer look for the lights now that I know where to look. Please one more question , should all 5 pins on the Ethernet cable have continuity when I ohm it?

11. Member
    And yes... you should have continuity on all 5 wires! 2 - TX(transmit) 2 - RX(Receive) and a ground

12. Member
    Thank you, I did check for the lights on the module and in fact am not seeing any lights but am getting power at the plug end. I'm stumped! Because since my transducer goes thru there first shouldn't my sonar also not be working? My sonar works fine but structure scan says no source...?

13. Member
    What did you hook the yellow wake up wire to?
    Chad Snow / Massachusetts
    2007 Ranger Reata 210 - Mercury Optimax 225 (#1B446134) - 12' Talons
    Carbon12’s @ Bow w/ AT- live 12 w/ 3D & live 7 @ Helm

14. Member
    The yellow wire I traced back it's hooked to a constant hot then to a toggle switch then on to the module..

15. Member
    I'm only getting power to one of the pins in the power plug to the module...does anyone know if there is supposed to be two?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefro_ View Post
    The yellow wire I traced back it's hooked to a constant hot then to a toggle switch then on to the module..
    Is that switch turned ON?

17. Member
    Yes sir the switch is turned on...

18. Member
    Try AUTO CONFIGURE and see if that fires up everything. Worth a try. Sonar does not go through the box.

19. Member
    I did try the auto configure to no avail..if I remove the Ethernet cable from the box to my head unit I don't get sonar. But my transducer connects direct to the box and then Ethernet cable from box to head unit. I'm getting power to the power plug of the module on the yellow and red wire but no lights. If the Ethernet cable is bad will the lights on the module still come on?

20. Member
    Turns out I had a bad Ethernet cable and also the scan module was bad. Thanks to FXFishing I'm back going again. Thanks also to the ones that jumped in to help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast