What is the result of not breaking in a boat right?

I have a mercury pro XS 175 and I’m not sure it was broke in right. If the break in process wasn’t done right, what is the result of that?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Proper break-in is critical to the proper wear-in of moving mechanical components. Piston rings, bearings, seals, shafts all have some wear-in that occurs during break-in, and it is important for engine performance and longevity that this occur as intended.

Depending on just "how" improper the break-in was, the results could range from anything between "virtually no affect" to "premature component failures, or decreased engine longevity".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor