Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bladed-Jig / Chatterbait Rod - Graphite vs Glass...

I've been using a St. Croix LBC70MF Teaser for 3/8 oz bladed-jigs and it's great, but tough to rip free from grass. I bought a Dobyns 736 Glass Chatterbait rod and just didn't like how it felt with the grass. So, I guess that means I prefer a graphite rod as opposed to what everyone is saying to go with - Glass. Am I the only one who prefers graphite to glass for bladed-jigs and ripping through the top of vegetation? Should I reconsider a glass rod with some of the new rods from St. Croix (Glass 72Heavy Moderate rip-n-chatter - or something like that?) . I was considering the St Croix Legend Tournament Bass LBC71MHF jig / baits for a little more power over my old teaser. Any advice from those using St. Croix for chatteraits / bladed-jigs? Thanks.

2. Member
    What are you using for line? I don’t use a glass rod but I use a 7’6”mh with a fairly “soft” action. I don’t fish deep divers often but the action would be good, if that gives you an idea how the rod loads. I fish this setup with #40 braid and a #17 mono leader for a bit of a shock absorber. This setup has been very good for me and I don’t have much trouble ripping the bait out of grass. Just a thought about your line.

3. Member
    Sorry - I should have mentioned that. I throw 30 # braid to a 12 # FC leader. Braid has always been more responsive to the rip from the tops of grass. I never thought about a mono leader. All I know is I drop fish from this set-up from time-to-time. They usually tend to be the smaller fish, but still.

4. Member
    I throw my chatterbaits on a Dobyns 736 glass tied directly to 40 lb braid and have no problem ripping out of grass here in the northeast. We don’t have thick hydrilla around me though.

I prefer graphite to glass when it comes to vibrating jig rods. I know it's the new trend and I understand why some guys like it and there's no doubt it works well, and after trying a bunch of them, I still prefer graphite rods. In the St. Croix line, the Legend Tournament LBC70MHMF Sweeper Spinnerbait is an excellent vibrating jig, spinner bait, and buzz bait rod. It has a smooth action that loads nicely, has the right amount of power, is light, and much more sensitive than many of the heavier glass rods out there. Despite what some folks say about not needing sensitivity for moving baits, I still want to feel everything I can and this rod helps out with that.

If you're fishing grass, why are you running a leader out of curiosity? Personally, on vibrating jigs, especially around grass, but even in clear water I fish straight braid and really don't feel like I'm missing any bites because the fish see the line.

If you do decide on a St. Croix, feel free to shoot me a PM or call the shop. The Tackle Trap always takes good care of our St. Croix customers

6. Member
    I dont like glass rod for chatterbaits. My favorite is a fitzgerald rods bryan thrift series chatterbait rod. I throw it around grass a ton and with braided line I can rip it free no problem.

That 7' medium St Croix Legend Tournament is one of my favorite rods for chatterbaits and spinnerbaits. Not typically fishing heavy, heavy grass around here though.

8. Member
    I use graphite as well and the rod I like the best for 3/8 baits is a 7' MHMF Mojo spinnerbait rod. When I bought the first one, I didn't know what to expect as normally I'm not a split grip fan. I think for the money these rods can't be beat. The MF action is key to not missing bites and I use 15 lb Invisx for line. If money is no object, the Legend tournament MHMF rod I bet is awesome. I like this model Mojo enough that I have 4 of them for chatterbaits, topwater, swimming jig, and spinnerbait.

The glass rods have too much give IMO for ripping through grass.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

As Gary pointed out I've tried the glass rods for bladed jigs....just not a fan. Give me graphite.

10. Member
    Graphite with a moderate action. By far my favorite Chatterbait rod is the tatula elite 7'4 howell big topwater rod.

I use a glass/graphite composite. I think a lot of the "glass" rods that people use and like for chatterbaits are made from a glass/graphite composite instead.

Hite's signature series Evergreen rod is a noodle that feels like it weighs twice what any other bass rod weighs - if that's the type of rod that people who try glass and hate it are using, I completely understand why.

I'd be fine with a graphite rod, too, I just want something with a mod-fast action. That goes for any moving bait I throw on braid or braid to a leader, though. Gives me the benefits of braid without ripping the bait out of a fish's mouth before they get it. (I will often throw on a leader to avoid braid getting snapped around metal dock posts or digging into wood, and to a lesser extent to cut down on the noise of the line sawing on wood or vegetation. I don't particularly think it's helping me with the fish seeing my line on a moving bait.)
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

12. Member
    Thanks for all the replies. That makes me feel better that I’m not alone with preferring graphite. The braid to fluoro for me is a shock absorber mostly. But, the water can get clear up in the northeast and if you end up throwing green pumpkin a ton like I do, the fluoro makes sense. The FG knot has made it like it’s practically 1 line together anyways.

13. Member
    I use a 7’2 MH Expride graphite with 15 lb fluoro. I fish grass a lot of the time. I’ve used straight braid also but prefer fluoro.

Graphite for me. I've been using the Falcon Cara Swim Jig Rod CC-5-172 or the Deep Runner CCB-5-173.
    2015 Ranger Z520c / 2015 Mercury 250 Pro XS

15. Member
    If you like the Dobyns rods...the 706CB (composite) is an excellent chatterbait rod.

I too, am no fan of glass rods...for anything!

16. Member
    I throw my bladed jigs on a Cashion Heavy Fast....Same rod I throw jigs, swim jigs, spinnerbaits and big worms. I use Pline CXPremium to add a little "give" when I am throwing the moving baits. Not a fan of glass or composite rods. Cashion also makes a Chatterbait Rod that has a more moderate action but I have yet to try it.
    Last edited by MCS; 07-25-2019 at 09:45 AM.

17. Banned
    For 3/8 oz chatterbait style baits, I use a Dobyns 703C graphite rod.
    Last edited by PolarKraft195; 10-28-2019 at 05:31 PM.

18. Member
    The 7'3" heavy bps crankin stick has been really good to me.

19. Member
    I use that exact rod for my open water chatterbaits and the MH for rippin summer grass but loose the leader go braid direct.

20. Member
    check out the alpha angler chatterbound

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast