2019 avx 1880 paint

Notice yesterday while waxing boat paint very thin on bottom of boat even sum spots primer bleeding thru like it didn't get a very good coat and diffently not much clear coat anyone else notice this on there paint ???? Steve Clark do they paint the bottom of boat as good as the rest of boat the rest of it looks great ???
    Last edited by James 10; 07-23-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by James 10 View Post
    Notice yesterday while waxing boat paint very thin on bottom of boat even sum spots primer bleeding thru like it didn't get a very good coat and diffently not much clear coat anyone else notice this on there paint ???? Steve Clark do they paint the bottom of boat as good as the rest of boat the rest of it looks great ???
    Noticed the same on my 1980 a week after I brought it home. Talked to my dealer about it. You can actually feel and see the difference where the clear coat stops. It feels like primer paint. My dealer didn't really give me an answer other than "they are probably not clear coated because that area is in the water all the time". Yes I know, a smoke show......lol.

I would also be curious what Steve or Vexus has to say on why the bottom is not clear coated or finished like the rest of the boat.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

3. Member
    Yeah sounds exactly like the bottom of mine I'll take mine to dealer next month to have sum things looked at I'll see what they say

Just got some feedback on this. Vexus did not think the bottom needed to be clear coated when they launched the AVX. However, they have since changed directions and the bottoms are now clear coated and finished like the rest of the boat. So I am sure the 2020 models are all finished on the bottom. I think they should have been finished like this from beginning.

5. Member
    Maybe ours need to go back and be painted correct with the clear coat ???? Thanks for info

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesslk View Post
    Just got some feedback on this. Vexus did not think the bottom needed to be clear coated when they launched the AVX. However, they have since changed directions and the bottoms are now clear coated and finished like the rest of the boat. So I am sure the 2020 models are all finished on the bottom. I think they should have been finished like this from beginning.
    part of the price increase I guess

7. Member
    Wow, this makes no sense. They advertised how hard and durable the finishing coat is and they didn’t put it on the bottom? The bottom surface that receives the most impacts from trash in the water? Tell me this isn’t so. The “Hard Case Protective Paint Coating/Victor Shield” isn’t on the bottom surface of the boat?

84B85192-81F2-4052-BD10-95277F30341C.jpeg

E44E79D3-2219-49E5-B5AD-14997B2C9CD9.jpeg
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbug View Post
    Wow, this makes no sense. They advertised how hard and durable the finishing coat is and they didn’t put it on the bottom? The bottom surface that receives the most impacts from trash in the water? Tell me this isn’t so. The “Hard Case Protective Paint Coating/Victor Shield” isn’t on the bottom surface of the boat?

84B85192-81F2-4052-BD10-95277F30341C.jpeg

E44E79D3-2219-49E5-B5AD-14997B2C9CD9.jpeg
    I would say nope as part of the hard case/victor shield is the clear coat process. But.....the current boats do have it.

Steve Clark........
    Last edited by Jonesslk; 07-24-2019 at 10:41 AM.

Why the concern? What do you think is going to happen once you get a scratch in the bottom of the hull? The water is going to affect whatever clear coat that is there, and will most likely start to cause pealing or flaking.

10. Member
    Not if it was done correctly theres alot of boats out there with bottom painted,,, clear coat is not my concern its that paint is so thin and i can see primer and has a different texture

11. Member
    I just read an article that very well may explain the real truth why vexus were not clear coating the bottoms. go to the main menu click on SUPER TIPS and then click on the "don't wax the PAd". very interesting.
    DELIVERED 9/16/2019
    2020 VEXUS AVX 2080 RED
    200 HO G2
    ICON 3.5
    DUAL CONSOLE
    ULTREX 80/45 MDI I-LINK
    BOW Solix 10 MEGA 360
    Echomap Ultra 106 sv
    Panoptix Livescope System
    CONSOLE SOLIX 12
    IONIC lithium batteries

I got some clarity on this from Vexus. The paint on the bottom is still considered hard case paint as it has the hardener in it. It is just not clear coated. If you think about it, there are several competitor brands out there that don't put anything on the bottom. Any painted surface on the boat is covered under the warranty, which of course includes the bottom. I am good with that. The only time you know it is not clear coated is when you are wiping the boat down. Otherwise, you can't see it on the trailer or in the water. However, they did start clear coating the bottom on the 2020 models

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesslk View Post
    I got some clarity on this from Vexus. The paint on the bottom is still considered hard case paint as it has the hardener in it. It is just not clear coated. If you think about it, there are several competitor brands out there that don't put anything on the bottom. Any painted surface on the boat is covered under the warranty, which of course includes the bottom. I am good with that. The only time you know it is not clear coated is when you are wiping the boat down. Otherwise, you can't see it on the trailer or in the water. However, they did start clear coating the bottom on the 2020 models
    In other words, they were trying to save money by not doing it.

Now with more experience, they find it's easier or more streamline in production to clear the whole bottom.

14. Member
    grizzz where did u find this article at what website ??

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzz View Post
    I just read an article that very well may explain the real truth why vexus were not clear coating the bottoms. go to the main menu click on SUPER TIPS and then click on the "don't wax the PAd". very interesting.

Just read it......interesting.

16. Member
    its here on the BBC board, http://www.bassboatcentral.com/don'twax.htm
    DELIVERED 9/16/2019
    2020 VEXUS AVX 2080 RED
    200 HO G2
    ICON 3.5
    DUAL CONSOLE
    ULTREX 80/45 MDI I-LINK
    BOW Solix 10 MEGA 360
    Echomap Ultra 106 sv
    CONSOLE SOLIX 12
    IONIC lithium batteries

17. Member
    Thanks bud ,,that does make sense I only waxed the front half of bottom and not the actual pad itself didn't lose any speed

18. Member
    anybody used F-11 Top Coat on the bottom of their boat yet ? just curious how that would affect it or if it would at all.
    DELIVERED 9/16/2019
    2020 VEXUS AVX 2080 RED
    200 HO G2
    ICON 3.5
    DUAL CONSOLE
    ULTREX 80/45 MDI I-LINK
    BOW Solix 10 MEGA 360
    Echomap Ultra 106 sv
    CONSOLE SOLIX 12
    IONIC lithium batteries