Thread: Used prices?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Used prices?

How does one normally figure out what a used item is worth?

I have some very upper end St. Croix rods that a friend has asked me to sell for him. Problem is finding used prices on and how to price upper end equipment and the internet is not much help.

How do you price used fishing equipment?

Look on line.

Some of the prices I see for used makes me scratch my head, they price it like it's new.

3. Banned
    Depends on condition and age. If they are like new, I dont see why you couldnt get 3/4 the value.

4. Banned
    I guess everyones different, if I can't get it for half price, might as well by new.

5. Banned
    ebay at .01, no reserve. you'll fiind out what its worth

6. Member
    60% to 75% of retail which includes shipping and ebay fees if it is popular stuff.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    I guess everyones different, if I can't get it for half price, might as well by new.
    This is how I see it too. If I’m going to buy a used item I’d want it priced as a used item. If it’s only 20-30% off I’ll just buy new because then I know exactly what I’m getting in the best condition possible. Think about it, if you could buy a used fish finder for 400 and a new one for 500, why not spend the extra $100 for peace of mind and longevity? There’s two reasons people sell used stuff: 1. they don’t like it or 2. there’s something wrong it.
    Last edited by ECobb91; 07-23-2019 at 10:28 AM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Look on line.

Some of the prices I see for used makes me scratch my head, they price it like it's new.
    You got that right....That's why I buy new the majority of the time.When I was shopping for a Honda Atv it was crazy what people asking price was for 2-5 year old bikes.And that also goes with a lot of other things for sale.

When it comes to ST Croix rods there are BBC sponsors that you can purchase new for 20% off

So if they are in perfect to excellent condition price them between 60 and 70 percent off new retail and that includes shipping

If they have issues lower the price accordingly

Better off listing them in the RODS FOR SALE section here on BBC you don’t have to pay ebay fees and your fellow BBC members will appreciate it

St Croix rods don’t set for long on this forum believe me I know I buy a bunch of them

NOTE you will get some lower offers just say thank you and I’ll keep it in mind
    "The handicapped angler"

10. Banned
    Sell them locally or argue about the shipping...

I always check completed listings on eBay. I have gotten to where I only sell rods locally, just not worth shipping.
    2015 Ranger Z520c / 2015 Mercury 250 Pro XS

12. Member
    Can buy new most times 20-25% off so used going to need to be at least 40% off shipped for my interest.

"Like new" rods will bring a smaller percent of the new price than "like new" reels will. It's easy to tell if a used reels is working well and if it isn't you know it can be repaired. A "like new" rod may have been damaged by being hit on the gunnel or by a flying sinker, but the damage is undetectable. But, a few weeks after buying the used rod, it snaps on a hookset. "Like new" rods would be lucky to bring 1/2 the new price.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

14. Member
    Half price is optimistic especially if shipping is involved. I won't pay over 1/3 retail.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QUAKEnSHAKE View Post
    Can buy new most times 20-25% off so used going to need to be at least 40% off shipped for my interest.
    Same here.

Close to 1/2 price shipped is all I'm willing to do on used rods.

If they are 400 dollar rods, you might get them sold at 25% off, but you'll have to be patient.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

17. Banned
    Look at “completed items” on eBay. Those are the items that actually sold. You can see why they bring. If the price is in red it didn’t sell. The prices in green are ones that actually sold. That’s the best way to gauge what things are worth.

18. Member
    I’ve bought/sold 25-30 premium rods from this site. 50% of retail or less is the number to keep in mind. Almost every item out there can be bought for 15-20% off retail brand new with a coupon or phone call directly to a store owner. Mix in the pro staff guys (I am one of those) that buy at 40% retail and will sell for the same price to get new rods, reels, electronics, etc every couple of years and that’s the number and the reason.
    Lanierspotman
    2023 Skeeter 21ZXR 2023 250 SHO
    Lake Lanier, GA

For rods, if it is used and in excellent condition... 1/2 of price of a new. Anything higher than that it wouldn't be worth it. Plus the buyer is taking a chance there are no underlying issues with the rods.

Quote Originally Posted by LgMouthGambler View Post
    Depends on condition and age. If they are like new, I dont see why you couldnt get 3/4 the value.
    I might have a few rods for sale if you are interested

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast