Thumbs Up Triton TR176 - Size Consideration?

All,

I'm looking at the purchase of a Triton TR176...Mercury Optimax 115.

I've been fishing as a co-angler for a long time so this will be my first boat purchase.

What are some concerns or non-concerns about the size of this boat?

I've talked with a lot of people and have been told that I will want a bigger boat within a year of ownership.

The thing that is pushing me toward this boat is I am familiar with the seller, its been extremely well taken care of, and I just have general good feelings about the condition.

I appreciate any input.

It is a 2008.

Thanks!

2. Member
    I had a 2008 TR176 and loved it. Kept it for over 10 years. Fished mostly small club tournaments and fun fished so it was enough for me and it fit into my garage. Wanted something under warranty and started fishing larger tournaments is why I traded, sometimes wish I still had it. Mine fully loaded would run 46 no jack plate. Saw 51 a couple of times with just me. I put a hydrofoil on it to help it plane off a little better. Had a lot of good times in that boat.
    2018 Triton 18TRX
    2018 Mercury 175 Optimax ProXS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by baysdad View Post
    I had a 2008 TR176 and loved it. Kept it for over 10 years. Fished mostly small club tournaments and fun fished so it was enough for me and it fit into my garage. Wanted something under warranty and started fishing larger tournaments is why I traded, sometimes wish I still had it. Mine fully loaded would run 46 no jack plate. Saw 51 a couple of times with just me. I put a hydrofoil on it to help it plane off a little better. Had a lot of good times in that boat.
    Great input! Thank you!

I'm kind of deciding at this point if I should wait for the any better deals in the winter...

Most of the time in our area, you will be fine in that boat. Especially if you are on Harris a bunch. Jordan can get rough when the pleasure boats are out in force and that might be tough on you, it was in my TR186, but as long as all your gear fits in the boat, I think you will be fine. I also don't think you are at a handicap with that boat in local tournaments around here. Now, if you go up to Kerr, that is a much bigger lake so you may not be able to travel quite as far.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Most of the time in our area, you will be fine in that boat. Especially if you are on Harris a bunch. Jordan can get rough when the pleasure boats are out in force and that might be tough on you, it was in my TR186, but as long as all your gear fits in the boat, I think you will be fine. I also don't think you are at a handicap with that boat in local tournaments around here. Now, if you go up to Kerr, that is a much bigger lake so you may not be able to travel quite as far.
    Good thoughts thank you!

Harris will be the easiest to get to for me.

Kerr would not be my first, second, or really third choice to go to since it is further away. The fishing around Raleigh is plenty good enough.

Yeah another concern is being able to easily stick to those offshore spots in a bit of wind.

6. Member
    I used to own one and it was very stable for its size but it was too small for Lake of the Ozarks in the summertime. If you're fishing smaller lakes it will be great.