Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AVX 189 vs Ranger RT 188

How do these two boats compare? Looking for smoothest ride, stability when fishing and most bang for the buck.

Thanks!

2. Member
    RT188 - best bang. A lot less expensive than Vexus.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

To compare them accurately you will need to look at the 188P as the AVX 189 has a pad hull. Max HP on the 188 is 115 vs 135 on the AVX. Cost difference is <$1k and that is with the AVX having the 135(top speed 50-52mph), AVX is 3 inches longer and 2 inches wider than a 188. No one can really speak on the ride of the 188P yet. However, I had a 188 and loved it. BUT, Vexus boats are next level, they introduced a top notch boat to the tin world.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesslk View Post
    To compare them accurately you will need to look at the 188P as the AVX 189 has a pad hull. Max HP on the 188 is 115 vs 135 on the AVX. Cost difference is <$1k and that is with the AVX having the 135(top speed 50-52mph), AVX is 3 inches longer and 2 inches wider than a 188.
    ^^^if this is true, along with the minimal price difference of less than $1,000.............it's a no brainer!^^^

the AVX189 does NOT have a recessed foot pedal tray for trolling motor (THATS INSANE IN 2019)....that alone is a deal breaker for me...I have been pricing them out and the AVX is a couple grand more expensive and I do not know of a manfucaturer that makes a 135 HP motor....its not even available as a build option on Vexus' boat builder.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

I stand corrected. The EVINRUDE 135 HO is as an option on the page BUT the fine print shows only a 115. The 135 HO is only offered in the 1880, however it absolutely does exists. Regardless, The price is still a ~$1k difference along with the specs given. Having owned a 188(that I liked very much) for 3 years and rode in AVX189, I stand behind what I said, the Vexus is next level in fit, finish and ride.
    Attached Files Attached Files

7. Member
    I believe the AVX also comes with a fortrex, batteries, charger, and a ss prop at the base price which the RT does not. The lack of a recessed foot tray would be a deal breaker for me. Otherwise it is a very nice boat if that isn't important to you.

8. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    ^^^if this is true, along with the minimal price difference of less than $1,000.............it's a no brainer!^^^
    Hey Champ, just between you and I..... Me thinks someone up there is coo-coo for coco puffs (keep that to yourself).
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

Quote Originally Posted by King_Fish View Post
    Hey Champ, just between you and I..... Me thinks someone up there is coo-coo for coco puffs (keep that to yourself).
    Do tell.....how so?
    Attached Files Attached Files

10. Member
    I am looking at both models myself. The RT188 front deck is 94" long compared to 84" on the AVX189, but the width on both is similar. No recessed foot pedal (shorter deck and would affect the rod holder tube length), and no tool holders on the AVX189. I would say the trailers are comparable, but the AVX189 has larger back compartments which are fiberglass and livewell is fiberglass. The back space for batteries appears much "cleaner" and roomier on the AVX189 since the gas tank is located under the seats. AVX189 has the fold down cleats. Prices are very close as well so right now it is a toss-up for me.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whitey View Post
    I am looking at both models myself. The RT188 front deck is 94" long compared to 84" on the AVX189, but the width on both is similar. No recessed foot pedal (shorter deck and would affect the rod holder tube length), and no tool holders on the AVX189. I would say the trailers are comparable, but the AVX189 has larger back compartments which are fiberglass and livewell is fiberglass. The back space for batteries appears much "cleaner" and roomier on the AVX189 since the gas tank is located under the seats. AVX189 has the fold down cleats. Prices are very close as well so right now it is a toss-up for me.

I am in in the same “boat”, can’t decide. Isn’t the gas tank on the 188p under the seats as well? I haven’t owned a bass boat in years, had a procraft 1640 with a 135 Johnson from 1985-1992. Fished a ton out of it and loved it. It’s the only comparison I have. Any idea how either of these will fish and ride compared to it?

I need to go with tin, my tow vehicle is a 2014 Jeep 4 door Rubicon. Also, should I get the tandem trailer?

Thanks guys!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pughlaw View Post
    I am in in the same “boat”, can’t decide. Isn’t the gas tank on the 188p under the seats as well? I haven’t owned a bass boat in years, had a procraft 1640 with a 135 Johnson from 1985-1992. Fished a ton out of it and loved it. It’s the only comparison I have. Any idea how either of these will fish and ride compared to it?

I need to go with tin, my tow vehicle is a 2014 Jeep 4 door Rubicon. Also, should I get the tandem trailer?

Thanks guys!
    I would say yes they should be close to the same ride being there longer than your old procraft, but Glass is a lot more heavy, so you will get blown around a little more, upgrade your trolling motor to something with spot-lock. as far as the brands pick the one your close too. long trips for service sux's.
    And the trailer YES YES to tandem, I wish tracker would have offered one for my PT 190. plus you will have a little less tongue load on your jeep, and it will cut down on the trailer whip, plus not having to worry about your trailer going to the ground if you blow out a tire is well worth it.
    2006 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX 115 Merc

13. Member
    In the "For whatever it's worth dept" I was looking at the RT188 until a good friend said to look at the Vexus 1880. I know have the Vexus and LOVE it.....Previously had a TR20 for twenty years...economy, ride, looks, great to fish out of...recessed foot pedal...on and on. Was at Classic and talked to Forest...said now I'm confused...had always wanted a Ranger...now you make Vexus....He says....son (I'm 69) do your shopping and he smiled and we shook hands.
    :)

14. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    you will be happy with either i am sure. Good luck!
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

15. Member
    From a previous RT 188 owner (3 years ownership)

My coin would go to Vexus.

But my very 1st choice would be a Lund 1875 Renegade with rivited construction. Lots of threads about broken welds, not sure I’ve ever seen a thread about a rivit failure.

16. Not Banned
    I got away from the dual axle trailer. I had to turn it around in the back yard and it was tearing up the grass. The single axle trailer I have now I can move it by hand easily and turn it around without getting off the concrete. My boat is the G3 Sportsman 19 which is 19'10 with a 150. The only part I miss about the dual is if you have a flat tire.

I do not believe Vexus offers a tandem trailer for the AVX189, that option starts with the 1980. Ranger offers a tandem for the 188p, not the 188......at least that is what their website shows.

So if a tandem trailer carries weight on the decision, looks like you will be a proud Ranger owner!!

18. Member
    How do these two boats compare? Looking for smoothest ride, stability when fishing and most bang for the buck.

Thanks!
    A huge part of examining or comparing boats in my opinion is the dealerships. That's where I have a problem with Vexus and part of the reason I bought the RT188. I found the boats themselves to be about the same. In some things the RT188 was better and in some the Vexus was better.

But when you compare dealerships and proximity of service, there is no comparison. The Ranger is far far better in this area. I think Vexus has two dealerships in our whole state. So unless you live in two geographical areas, you will travel hours to get service if it is needed. Also the Vexus dealers have no incentive to make you a deal on the boat because they are the only game in town.....if you are shopping for a decent deal. If you are traveling and something happens with the Vexus, you could be many hours away from a dealer -- many hours. More than likely, unless you live or travel in a few selected areas you will drive close to several Ranger dealers. I could shop better and also probably get more convenient service which is paramount to me.

I would also not buy a car, or tractor, or ATV or motorcycle that did not have a dealership in town or that only had ONE in the whole state. That is a big deal as to why I own a Ranger RT188.....and I could not be happier with it. It is a great fishing boat. The boats are about the same, the dealer network is not.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

19. Member
    Thanks guys! There is actually a Vexus dealer about 15 minutes from my home and several Ranger dealers within an hour. Unfortunately the Vexus dealer near me doesn’t seem very interested in selling me a boat, however I did get a nice quote on the 189 from a dealer about 2 hours away. They are pricing a few upgrades for me now.

Thanks guys! There is actually a Vexus dealer about 15 minutes from my home and several Ranger dealers within an hour. Unfortunately the Vexus dealer near me doesn’t seem very interested in selling me a boat, however I did get a nice quote on the 189 from a dealer about 2 hours away. They are pricing a few upgrades for me now.
    Interested if there is a factory option to add a reccessed TM pedal that the dealer offers as I couldn't find that option online and it a necessity for me in a boat (serious back issues)
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast