Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New seastar cyl?

I read about a heavier duty cyl. By seastar #6845. Does anyone know anything about this cyl.
    Allison XB2003/Merc 200

It came on my new boat. From appearance it looks to be heavier built and has different outer seals.

I'm hoping it could keep my motor from flopping over when sitting for a while. A friend changed to a uflex and claims his doesn't do that anymore.
    Allison XB2003/Merc 200

Is your new boat different than the one on your list? And is the steering feel about the same?
    Allison XB2003/Merc 200

5. Member
    What about getting the seal kits, and bleeding the system yourself? More cost effective unless you want a new cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by I NEED SPEED "B" View Post
    Is your new boat different than the one on your list? And is the steering feel about the same?
    If your asking me?
    Yes sir: I have a new bassport that I just finished installing the old 3.2 ltr off my 2006 model prosport on. (still waiting on new 8 cylinder)
    I replaced the original sea star off the 2006 model a yew years back with a Uflex . because I felt it was a better unit and the old one was having issues.
    Even though I've not driven the new style yet from what I can see I believe it's going to be an improvement over my old sea star..

7. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Yes the new "Tournament Series" seastar is a bit beefier than the old one. The yolk pivot/attachment points are the problem. I can only speak for myself but I switched over to the Mercury Uflex cylinder years ago after Don Weed from European Marine showed me the slop (he installed my Uflex) and it is as tight and slop free as day one. I will never have a seastar steering cylinder.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

My old sea star did the same thing.. and I had replaced the outer seals three times--------So far the Uflex is like yours (slop free)
    Time will tell on this new one.

I could not get the U flex to work, they sent me 4 different new units, when you got up to speed you had to turn the wheel to go straight. after months of messing with it and talking to the rep, he said there unit is not for Hi Performance, his words, by the way I had the silver steer series.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    Yes the new "Tournament Series" seastar is a bit beefier than the old one. The yolk pivot/attachment points are the problem. I can only speak for myself but I switched over to the Mercury Uflex cylinder years ago after Don Weed from European Marine showed me the slop (he installed my Uflex) and it is as tight and slop free as day one. I will never have a seastar steering cylinder.
    I am with Craig on this one. He put me on to Uflex and his experience with it. I will NEVER own another Seastar cylinder. Works perfectly! I believe the new Seastar cylinder was designed to be more like Uflex since Uflex was obviously better for nearly everyone who changed over to it.

11. Member
    Bob the seastar and the uflex are not even close to being the same. Completely different on how they function. The new "Tournament Series" seastar cylnder is just a beefier seastar Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by myron View Post
    I could not get the U flex to work, they sent me 4 different new units, when you got up to speed you had to turn the wheel to go straight. after months of messing with it and talking to the rep, he said there unit is not for Hi Performance, his words, by the way I had the silver steer series.
    You either had it installed wrong (not saying you) or it was the wrong cylinder or something else messed up because it will not act that way when the correct unit is installed correctly.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

I installed it, bleed it, had it bleed, U flex rep looked at it, other dealers have had issues lately as well. I put the Sea star on and it is fine.

OH and they did give me a complete refund.

15. Member
    I think I read somewhere one time on here in a uflex discussion that there is only one specific uflex cylinder model for high performance use which is specifically made for Allison.

16. Member
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=650840

Here is a thread from Craig providing the correct cylinder, etc. Your experience Myron, and not questioning it, is hard to understand when MANY people have made the change, are thrilled with the results and will never go back to Seastar. The Uflex unit, quite simply, is a much beefier, better designed unit. I did have a Seastar for years prior to switching.

https://uflexusa.ultraflexgroup.com/...plications.pdf

These units are built for up to 300 HP.

Not sure Myron why you would have had a Silversteer cylinder and possibly that particular cylinder was not compatible with your set-up? The cylinders listed of above should have been more than adequate.
    Last edited by catfish123; 07-25-2019 at 10:41 AM.

Has anyone heard anything about the use of an entire uflex system, cyl., Helm and hoses.
    Allison XB2003/Merc 200

That is why I originaly went with the U flex, like I said they sent me 4 helms and 4 cylinders, all did the same thing, I am thinking they had a bad batch of product, I know a dealer who was having the same problem on 3 boats one being a pontoon boat.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I NEED SPEED "B" View Post
    Has anyone heard anything about the use of an entire uflex system, cyl., Helm and hoses.
    Anything is better than your very old, stiff, cable steering, lol, quit procrastinating and just do it!

20. Member
    Honestly to anyone wanting to switch to the Uflex Steering go over tot he Mercury 3liter forum and look up Don Weed. Tell him what you want and he will give you the exact part numbers for what you need.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast