Thread: Need advice

Need advice

I’m in the market for a new boat, my last bass boat was a 1640 Procraft with a 135 Johnson. It fished well and was fast enough for me. I sold it when I got married at 23, it’s really the only bass boat I have to compare things with. I’ve been looking at the RT188, AVX 1880, AVX 189 and the Z175. I know that’s a wide range of boats, I think the edge is going to the 1880. 45-50 mph is fine with me, fishing stability and not getting beat to death when crossing the lake are high priorities to me. I would also like a fairly low maintenance dependable boat that I can easily launch and handle alone. I will be pulling it with a 2015 Jeep 4 door Rubicon with a towing capacity of 3500lbs. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'd look at Triton, Skeeter, Basscat in the weight range of less than your max, Then get one in a year that you can afford...

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    Avx1880 would be a great choice no problems from mine yet completed happy with and surge brakes would be a plus for pulling with a jeep

4. Member
    Almost any 17’ to 18’ boat will be less than 3500lbs capacity. There’s a few guys in a club I fish that tow with ford escapes and smaller chevys. My boat in the signature is one of the heavier 17.5’ boats at right around 2,500lbs with trailer, motor, fuel and equipment. If rough water ride are your priorities then I’d shy away from a tin boat unless you get a walleye series. A fiberglass cuts the waves better than a tin. Not sure about how the Vexus boats cut through waves but it’s just my experience from the Tin boats I’ve been in is they ride rougher and skip on waves instead of cutting through. The good thing about tin boats though is they are light weight (aka easy to tow), have really good layouts, stable, and less maintenance required to keep them looking good. The good thing about fiberglass is they have better rough water ride, faster, stable, tend to have higher resale value, more storage.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

I also looked at the AVX 1880 and Xpress X19. Dollar for Dollar you get more bang with the X19 but Vexus does make a good boat. I would be in Aluminum up to 19' which I believe is the new overlap point for glass. The 20' aluminums are just under powered or just overpriced against glass but IMHO, aluminum has taken over the 16' to 19' market.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

6. Member
    How does the 1880 ride and fish compared to a similar sized glass boat? Did you get the jack Plates?

Thanks!

7. Member
    Sent you a pm
    Phoenix 21PHX, Yamaha 250 SHO. Lowrance Carbons