Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Started going to the gym

Well I started going to the gym a few weeks ago. Kind of been easing into it. Well today I met with a personal trainer and am going to start classes tomorrow. So far I've really only been doing cardio because I really didn't know what else to do. But tomorrow I start on my arms and chest. I'm really kind of excited that maybe I'll get back in better shape soon.
    On a side note I was only drinking cokes from the time I woke up till the time I went to bed, and now I'm down to about two a day. Maybe I'll be completely off of them soon.

2. Member
    Good for you on starting something new. The trainer and the strength training will make a huge difference for your cardio as you grow stronger. Just work through the soreness the first few days and you'll do great. Keep up the good work
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

3. Member
    Today the trainer put me on 3 machines and some free weights for chest and biceps. We did that for 30 minutes, 4 reps of 10 on each. Then I did 35 minutes and 3 miles on the elliptical. Then I tried to get on the stair climber machine. Well I lasted 2 minutes on that one lol. Maybe tomorrow I'll get to 5 minutes.
    I feel great after all that and am ready to go back tomorrow and I have another class tomorrow with the trainer.

4. Member
    Congrats and keep up the good work.

5. Member
    Well today my class was canceled so I went ahead and worked my back and shoulders on the machines like I thought the trainer would have me do. Then I got on the elliptical for 45 mi utes and did just over 3.5 miles. During that time my wife showed up and started her 30 minute workout routine. While she was finishing up I did 10 minutes at a fast walk on the treadmill. Then she said she was going to do 15 minutes on the elliptical so I said I'll join you. That was a joke, I couldn't do another 8 minutes and I was done. I'm a little sore today but I'm feeling great. Feeling like I'm making progress to getting in better shape.

6. Member
    Great work. Sounds like you're dialed in and hitting it hard.

7. Member
    My wife and I have started at a gym this week I am looking forward to getting in better shape.

8. Member
    Today at the gym in the first class the trainer had me working on legs and abs. Then I took a second class that was a 30 second on then 30 second off in a rotation of different things for a full body cardio workout. We did 3 rotations around then did squats. That was a butt kicking exercise but it was fun and great that my wife joined in. After all that I did 30 minutes on the elliptical. That's when I said I had enough and called it a day.
    Boy my arms are feeling it today and i can't hardly straighten them out today. My wife says I have T Rex arms today. I just hope they are better by Saturday because I'm going to Seminole.

9. Member
    I got on the scale this morning and I actually gained a pound. I'm now at 259. So tomorrow I'm starting the keto and going to give that a try.

10. Member
    Make sure you give it a good try. Give it at least a month. First couple of weeks will be a little harder and may not tell you as much. I'm not sure how you feel now but if you do Keto the way you're supposed to then you will feel like a teenager again starting around week 3. Maybe sooner

11. Member
    I feel like a teenager most of the time now. I feel great, I just want to get rid of this extra weight I've packed on over the years.

12. Member
    Back at the gym today after taking yesterday off to go fishing. Today I worked out my upper body and did 75 minutes on the elliptical. It said I did around 7 miles and burned over 800 calories. It just doesn't feel like that I'm getting a whole lot out of it. I think tomorrow I'll try the arc trainer and work on my lower body. Also tomorrow I'm starting the Keto. Maybe that'll help shed some of the extra weight off me. I'm 5'9" and weigh 260. I think a really good weight for me would be around 220. When I was 200 I was scrawny but that was years ago. Guess I'll work to get to 220 then reevaluate from there.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 20basstriton View Post
    Back at the gym today after taking yesterday off to go fishing. Today I worked out my upper body and did 75 minutes on the elliptical. It said I did around 7 miles and burned over 800 calories. It just doesn't feel like that I'm getting a whole lot out of it. I think tomorrow I'll try the arc trainer and work on my lower body. Also tomorrow I'm starting the Keto. Maybe that'll help shed some of the extra weight off me. I'm 5'9" and weigh 260. I think a really good weight for me would be around 220. When I was 200 I was scrawny but that was years ago. Guess I'll work to get to 220 then reevaluate from there.
    You are doing great and good luck on the weight loss with your determination it will work.

14. Member
    Hard work and good diet will win in the end. Great work so far. Down to 223 this morning from 244 in April. Surprised at losing 2lbs this week because I had a cold all week and only exercised 1 day but I did stay strict with my diet. Y'all keep on working and being smart with food!

15. Member
    My wife asked to do upper body stuff last night at the gym. First time she has ventured off the treadmill. I think she is really starting to like the work out stuff.

16. Member
    I've really been enjoying it. One of the main things is it gives me something to do in the afternoons instead of sitting on the couch and watching TV.

17. Member
    I weighed in this morning. I'm down to 252. That's 10 lbs so far and it's only been a week. I was down to 253 mid week then I ate a big rib eye with broccoli and cheese and peppers, onions and mushrooms, and I over ate. That bumped me back up and it was a little slow getting that back off. So lesson learned. Dont over eat like that again. I cooked another piece of rib eye yesterday but I only cooked a third of what I previously had. So it was probably 4 to 5 oz and ate a smaller portion of broccoli and cheese. I felt better after eating and feel better this morning then I did last time just by cutting down the size of my meal. I've been drinking around 66 plus oz of water and 33 oz of powerade zero each day. I haven't had any sodas, tea or anything else to drink in a week now. Usually on the way home from fishing I would eat a snickers bar and drink a coke a cola. Well Saturday on the way home I had water, a cheese stick and some beef jerky. I did really miss my snickers and a coke but I held off and when I got home I was fine.
    So so far so good. I just got to keep it up.
    Last edited by 20basstriton; 08-05-2019 at 08:54 AM.

18. Member
    Congrats keep up the good work. It will take a little bit to create habit but it gets way easier in time.

19. BBC SPONSOR
    download a free app, My Fitness Pal, start logging your calories. Everything you eat, log it, the first week its a PITA, but once you have your common foods entered they will be on the short cut list for you just to select. Really helps tell you where/when you are eating right amounts. Also any drinks with calories, from whiskey/beer to milk, they have it all in the database.

As youve said, you need to be in calorie deficit to lose weight, and while Keto might help you with that, if you are also trying to build muscle (which is sounds like you are since working with a trainer) you do need carbs. You should probably split your macro nutrients 33/33/33 to start. Keto is great for losing weight when youre not working out. Carbs are important to getting a good workout and recovery.

Try reading at https://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16 also, lot of great articles on the website and helpful members in the forums.

Dont get too hung up on the scale weight every day either, lot of fluctuation in scale from water weight, bowl movements, etc Best is to take week by week averages. In my fitness pal, you can also log your weight. You can take pictures of progress in it too when you log weight. Really cool to watch your transformation once you have a few months of pics built up :)

Good luck in your journey, sounds like a fantastic start!
    Bob's Machine - Action Series Jack Plates - DeckPlugs - DeckSavers - QuickSlip - The Big D Trolling motor handle - Much more!
    www.bobsmachine.com

20. Member
    I know I haven't posted on here lately. I'm still going to the gym everyday during the week sometimes twice a day. I'm mostly working on cardio with some weight machines mixed in to try not to loose muscle and hopefully have a little muscle definition when I get some of this weight off. So far I'm about 18 lbs down.
    Also I'm sticking with my diet except for a few days ago my wife and I went to dinner for our anniversary and I ate some stuff I shouldn't have but it was just dinner that night and the next morning I was right back on track.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast