Thread: Black lake

Black lake

Hello. We're takin a family vacation to Black Lake next week. I'd never fished the lake before and was wonderin if I could get a few pointers. Judgin by the lake map the lower end has more depth, probably better for smallys. Not lookin for specific spots or secret honey holes, just a nudge in the right direction. From what I've heard the lake is good for crappy too. I'd like to get into those to keep the kiddos entertained and to fry up some while we're there. Any help would certainly be appreciated

2. Member
    There’s a few smallies in there especially around the islands but mainly it’s a largemouth lake and there’s also really good pike and walleye fishing too. The lake itself is pretty shallow and the deep spots are around 20’ deep. Pick any weedbed and you’re bound to get perch sunfish and a crappie or two. I’d suggest going near prince island and Tavern Island down towards the mouth of the Indian River
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    Thanks for the input. You were talkin bout the weedbeds for crappy and such, how much grass does this lake generally have?

4. Banned
    Nice smallmouth in that lake, But Google Mark Zona/ Black lake / Log Cabins Black lake. It might give you a little bit of an idea of what to expect
    Last edited by pa.X19; 07-23-2019 at 07:03 PM.

5. Member
    That's purty cool. I watched a lil 3 minute video Zona out on there. I'd love to wack em like that. Bout anything beats fishin around the house

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Amish Electrician View Post
    how much grass does this lake generally have?
    ALOT!!!!

7. Member
    We were there last August and went back in late September. There wasn't alot of grass. None at all past 6-10 feet. I talked to some locals and it usually gets mats.
    They were blaming the dark water, and high heat.
    At any rate I'm used to the finger lakes and it took us a few days to figure it out. We caught equal smallies and Largemouth with most being above 2 lbs, and a couple that were 5. Most fish were caught on senkos and need rigs in August. In September most were caught on traps and spinnerbaits. We fished mostly rocky points and got them as shallow as three feet.

8. Member
    Great info fellas. Thanks a lot

9. Banned
    Check out the Conger island area and Hague point on the southern end of the lake.

10. Member
    If you want smallmouth just trailer 10 minutes to the st lawerence out of ogdensburg. The town has a real nice launch.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

11. Banned
    Chippewa bay