Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Possible cause of Ultrex vibration.

If you have followed my posts on the Trolling Motor subforum, you know I am troubleshooting a noise and vibration issue with my brand new Ultrex (iPilot link, 112, 36 v, 52 inch shaft). It is quiet and vibration free going straight while in the water, but vibrates and makes noise momentarily (but annoyingly) in turns. Out of the water, straight and in turns, with and without the prop on, it is also quiet and vibration free. Thus, I don’t think it is a lower unit issue. But if I initiate a turn 30 to 40 degrees either way at mid-speeds of 5-6, it vibrates enough to feel in my feet and makes a regular tapping noise for about 3-5 seconds until established in the turn. The noise is coming from the vicinity of the turning motor housing (not the mount). I won’t list all the things I have checked and tried. If you are interested check my posts on the trolling motor forum. I have found one thing. In the attached photo, look at the wear marks on the composite shaft where it has rotated within the sleeve in the turning motor housing. I speculate that with added load on the turning prop, the shaft is flexing in the lower part of the turning motor sleeve and binding momentarily. Can’t be good for the shaft or turning mechanism. To know where to go from here I am trying to get a sense of how many folks have this issue. DOES YOUR ULTREX DO THIS? Regrettably my ASC and Minn Kota have not been helpful. Thanks. Skeeterguy48.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Btw, in case it wasn’t clear, the noise I am talking about is NOT the normal noise of the servo motor actually turning the shaft. Imagine, going straight at speed 5-6, step on foot pedal, head rotates 45 degrees making normal turning sound establishing the lower unit in the turn, then the tapping noise and vibration starts for 3-5 seconds until the boat itself is established in the turn. I would love to hear from you. Does your Ultrex do this?
    Last edited by skeeterguy48; 07-22-2019 at 07:19 PM.

3. Member
    Mine does the same thing. I just think it is turbulent water.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

4. Member
    There's a "Boat Scale" setting in the Systems Menu of the remote control. Most of us use the -2 setting.
    It keeps the boat from turning too fast. That will help with the noise problem you're hearing.
    At the very least the boat will make a nice and comfortable turn when operating the TM.
    It's worth a shot...

And yes, my Ultrex makes that tapping/vibration noise when the "Boat Scale" setting is too high.
    The default setting is +2 which is way too high for most of our rigs.
    Last edited by Jaydbee; 07-22-2019 at 07:08 PM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydbee View Post
    There's a "Boat Scale" setting in the Systems Menu of the remote control. Most of us use the -2 setting.
    It keeps the boat from turning too fast. That will help with the noise problem you're hearing.
    At the very least the boat will make a nice and comfortable turn when operating the TM.
    It's worth a shot...

And yes, my Ultrex makes that tapping/vibration noise when the "Boat Scale" setting is too high.
    Interesting!!! I will have to check that out. Thanks
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

6. Member
    After rereading the thread, I noticed that we're talking about a 36 volt Ultrex.
    Mine's a 24 volt. It shouldn't make a difference since the remote is the same for both TM's.

7. Member
    Jaydbee - Sent you a private message.
    Last edited by skeeterguy48; 07-25-2019 at 01:31 PM.

8. Member
    Have you tried removing the prop, rotating it 180 degrees and reinstalling? It’s worked on two others I know about.
    Phoenix 21PHX, Yamaha 250 SHO. Lowrance Carbons

9. Member
    I’ve tried three Minn Kota props and also done the rotation thing on each of them. Checked the shaft in the lower unit and it is OK. Did a bunch of other things recommended by some folks. Even though it only happens in a turn at a speed of 5-6 (it’s fine the rest of the time), Michael at Jones Trolling Motor believes we should rule out a problem with the lower unit. Turning while at speed places considerable load on the prop and motor. Maybe a magnet or armature issue. So my unit will likely take a trip to Texarkana at my expense ($250 round trip from Vermont). Even if I sent it to MK, they will only cover shipping one way. I guess that is the “price I’ll have to pay,” so to speak, for knowingly purchasing an outsized, 80+ lb product when the warranty does not cover shipping and the local ASC has not been particularly responsive, sad to say but true.

It's worth a shot...

Thats some great info .

11. Member
    You are seriously over thinking it. Why spend $250 when your trolling motor works!

It is of a different build design than you are accustomed to. The shaft flexes and nothing else, your older trolling motors flexed at the mount.

I believe there is nothing wrong with your trolling motor.

12. Member
    Over Time Again - Thanks for your interest. If you send me your email address via private message I will Drop Mail you the video so you can hear the noise it makes on the turn. For $3k you wouldn’t let it go as normal. Unfortunately the video is too large for me to attach here.

13. Member
    Mine feels like a giant Chatterbait at any speed over 7!

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McFaul View Post
    Mine feels like a giant Chatterbait at any speed over 7!
    attach a #2 treble hook to the blade of that sucker!

15. Member
    Ditto. All the exact same for the last year of my motor. Any solutions?

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterguy48 View Post
    Unfortunately the video is too large for me to attach here.
    Upload it to YouTube and post the link.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

17. Moderator
    My 80lb ultrex has done it from new! Local ASC put a new armature in it. Took 80 percent of vibration away. I still don't think it right! Not happy with this ulterx because my first one work flawless...
    Vince Dart- Jim Thorpe PA

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the “boat scale” setting only applies to spot lock.
    My Ultrex does not do as you describe but it is an 80#. It had a vibration when under power on my first trial run, so I replaced the prop with the one from my MAXXUM and it has been ok since.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the “boat scale” setting only applies to spot lock.
    My Ultrex does not do as you describe but it is an 80#. It had a vibration when under power on my first trial run, so I replaced the prop with the one from my MAXXUM and it has been ok since.
    You are not wrong. The boat scale setting has nothing to do with the speed at which the motor functions under normal operation and only in how fast it corrects itself while using spot lock.
    Sounds to me like the mount got torqued during install and not insulated with rubber bumpers under the mount. A twisted mount will cause unnecessary vibration during the turn. I figured that out on two buddies boats who were having the same issue. Screw holes were off just enough as to put the mount in a bind when tightened down. Once unbolted I had to use a bigger bit to open the mount holes and remove the bind from the mount itself. It fixed both of them.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

20. Member
    They all have a turbulent action when you turn at higher speeds. I did two things that fixed the vibrations in mine. A kipawa prop and new armature. The armature was due to me bending the shaft on a stump

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast