Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

School me on submerged grass

Anyone have any good articles or how to's on fishing submerged hydrilla and milfoil? I'm looking to get off the ledges that are getting beat to pieces by every boat on the lake and find a different bite but I've never really fished the grass until it surfaces and mats in the fall.

I've found a good amount on flats just off the main river channel in 6-8' of water with the grass being anywhere from 2-4 off bottom.
    My initial impression is to drag a c-rig and big worm or hop a shaky head along the outside edge and maybe run swimbaits over top of it but any direction would be much appreciated.

All of our lakes around here have a TON of submerged vegetation, so I've had to learn it after moving here.

My favorite thing to do is to flip (pitch) it. Use either a heavy 3/4 - 1 oz grass jig (the All Terrain Grassmaster comes through the best of any I've tried with the North Star South Paw coming in second), or my personal favorite, a heavy (3/4 oz) tungsten weight pegged over a punch skirt and Texas rigged plastic of your choice. Those punch skirts help a ton with the rig coming through cleanly - board sponsor ACT Lures makes really, really nice ones for really good prices and will make whatever color pattern you want.

I'll usually start at the deepest point where I can see the tops of the vegetation and go to town. Make a flip, let it hit the bottom, watch your line for jumps, slowly feel for a bite, if none hop it a couple times and let it settle again (still watching that line), feel for a bite, reel it in and flip again. Unless they're really finicky and you've got fish located that need the bait to soak, each cast should take 10-15 seconds.

Almost always my game plan zig-zag across the flats checking different depths until I get bit. Pay really close attention every time you get a bite, and always drop waypoints when you catch a fish. Was it one type of vegetation or another? Maybe it was where two types are mixed? What was the depth? Did you flip it into a clump, or into a hole? Etc. Generally an area where you get bit will have more than one fish, so slow down when you get a bite. Taking into account other factors, once you get a couple bites you can oftentimes pattern them to cover a lot more water. For example, if I've got bites in 7 feet where milfoil and coontail are mixed, I'll run right along the contours at 7 feet and flip everywhere I see that stuff mixing. Sometimes a pattern doesn't become obvious until you go back and look at waypoints - keep in mind that fish use contours on grass "flats" just like they do when migrating up the creek or out in deeper, bare bottom areas. Otherwise those waypoints give you good starting spots next time you're out. Fish around here will often use a spot in the grass all summer.

If it's cloudy and/or windy, you can never go wrong throwing a chatterbait. If the grass isn't close to the surface, usually it's best to let it settle or reel it slowly enough that it's getting hung in the grass, but not so much that it gets buried. When it gets hung, pop it free almost like you're setting the hook on a crankbait. Pause for a split second after ripping it free as this is usually when something train wrecks it. A lipless can be worked this way as well, but I've found that when the water warms a chatterbait seems to be best. A swim jig a little more subtle way to get through it. With that, I'm only "ripping" it if a piece of grass comes free and hangs on it, else I'm just working it back to the boat like you'd fish a spinnerbait. A fluke is a no-brainer as well.

If they're wanting something more finessey, a light (1/8-1/4 oz) pegged Texas rig or even a drop shot with a cylinder weight and Texas rigged plastic can work extremely well. Same story as the chatterbait, but much more subtle - (gently) pop it free of vegetation and just let it sit for a second or three. Continue working back to the boat. m

Another similar technique is what folks around here call a "jig worm." It looks like a Ned rig, but uses a heavier jig head with a longer shanked hook. Z-Man's Power Finesse Shroomz are a good example. For that you want a bigger worm, say a 7" Power Worm or a Senko. Cast it into the grass and you almost want to drag it like you're fishing a football jig or Carolina rig until it hangs. The aim here is to intentionally get it hung in the weeds, then pop it free. They'll often crush it when it pops free, or you'll otherwise go to pop it off of a weed and suddenly be fighting a fish. It's somewhere between the chatterbait and light Texas rig / drop shot I was talking about above. It sounds crazy to throw a big exposed hook into vegetation and intentionally hang it up, but it'll shock you how well it comes through.

Tons of ways to fish it. My biggest obstacle when I started learning to fish grass was getting away from the idea that you have to keep your bait free of it. Most bites will actually come when you're in the stuff, or at least ripping free of it in my experience, and I was really surprised at how cleanly you can get a bait through it, particularly if the grass is healthy. You might be surprised how well you can fish your favorite techniques to use in other places right through the grass.

Sorry for the book - I'm procrastinating today, and also remember how daunting learning to fish grass was when I first moved to Minnesota from West Virginia where we had basically no grass at all. Thank goodness for Bassmaster Live and getting to watch those guys do it as well as some really awesome guys in my club who offered some tips, cause most folks around here are more happy to politely take your money than to teach you how to beat them! I suspect that's pretty universal after typing it out....

Hopefully some of that applies to what you're looking at!
    Last edited by DrewFlu33; 07-22-2019 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Correcting typos
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

^^^^^^Same way I fish the tidal river grass we have here in VA...the only thing I wil add, is that when the tide is high and the grass tips are below the surface...I like to toss a buzzbait, spook, or a small wakebait crank over the top of the grass. When the tide goes out and the grass is matted on the surface I look for any edges or holes to punch or jig.

4. Member
    Wow, thanks Drew. That's a ton of information. I don't think the main lake grass is up enough to flip yet, there's some in pockets and creeks surfaced or just below that is flippable but it's hammered just like the ledges.
    I'll definitely be giving this stuff a shot this weekend to see what I can find

5. Member
    In addition to what Drew and the others have shared since the grass is subsurface you may want to try a squarebill ticking the tops of the weeds. Some days they will crush it!

6. Member
    I've been all over grass flats lately. All my fish have left open water. I seem to catch a lot of numbers over the tops of the grass...using drop shots, jerkbaits, lighter jigs , but not much size. I'm going to try pitching with punch skirt and heavier weight like you mention, and see if I can get down a little deeper. Hopefully I can find some bigger ones that way.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    All of our lakes around here have a TON of submerged vegetation, so I've had to learn it after moving here.

My favorite thing to do is to flip (pitch) it. Use either a heavy 3/4 - 1 oz grass jig (the All Terrain Grassmaster comes through the best of any I've tried with the North Star South Paw coming in second), or my personal favorite, a heavy (3/4 oz) tungsten weight pegged over a punch skirt and Texas rigged plastic of your choice. Those punch skirts help a ton with the rig coming through cleanly - board sponsor ACT Lures makes really, really nice ones for really good prices and will make whatever color pattern you want.

I'll usually start at the deepest point where I can see the tops of the vegetation and go to town. Make a flip, let it hit the bottom, watch your line for jumps, slowly feel for a bite, if none hop it a couple times and let it settle again (still watching that line), feel for a bite, reel it in and flip again. Unless they're really finicky and you've got fish located that need the bait to soak, each cast should take 10-15 seconds.

Almost always my game plan zig-zag across the flats checking different depths until I get bit. Pay really close attention every time you get a bite, and always drop waypoints when you catch a fish. Was it one type of vegetation or another? Maybe it was where two types are mixed? What was the depth? Did you flip it into a clump, or into a hole? Etc. Generally an area where you get bit will have more than one fish, so slow down when you get a bite. Taking into account other factors, once you get a couple bites you can oftentimes pattern them to cover a lot more water. For example, if I've got bites in 7 feet where milfoil and coontail are mixed, I'll run right along the contours at 7 feet and flip everywhere I see that stuff mixing. Sometimes a pattern doesn't become obvious until you go back and look at waypoints - keep in mind that fish use contours on grass "flats" just like they do when migrating up the creek or out in deeper, bare bottom areas. Otherwise those waypoints give you good starting spots next time you're out. Fish around here will often use a spot in the grass all summer.

If it's cloudy and/or windy, you can never go wrong throwing a chatterbait. If the grass isn't close to the surface, usually it's best to let it settle or reel it slowly enough that it's getting hung in the grass, but not so much that it gets buried. When it gets hung, pop it free almost like you're setting the hook on a crankbait. Pause for a split second after ripping it free as this is usually when something train wrecks it. A lipless can be worked this way as well, but I've found that when the water warms a chatterbait seems to be best. A swim jig a little more subtle way to get through it. With that, I'm only "ripping" it if a piece of grass comes free and hangs on it, else I'm just working it back to the boat like you'd fish a spinnerbait. A fluke is a no-brainer as well.

If they're wanting something more finessey, a light (1/8-1/4 oz) pegged Texas rig or even a drop shot with a cylinder weight and Texas rigged plastic can work extremely well. Same story as the chatterbait, but much more subtle - (gently) pop it free of vegetation and just let it sit for a second or three. Continue working back to the boat. m

Another similar technique is what folks around here call a "jig worm." It looks like a Ned rig, but uses a heavier jig head with a longer shanked hook. Z-Man's Power Finesse Shroomz are a good example. For that you want a bigger worm, say a 7" Power Worm or a Senko. Cast it into the grass and you almost want to drag it like you're fishing a football jig or Carolina rig until it hangs. The aim here is to intentionally get it hung in the weeds, then pop it free. They'll often crush it when it pops free, or you'll otherwise go to pop it off of a weed and suddenly be fighting a fish. It's somewhere between the chatterbait and light Texas rig / drop shot I was talking about above. It sounds crazy to throw a big exposed hook into vegetation and intentionally hang it up, but it'll shock you how well it comes through.

Tons of ways to fish it. My biggest obstacle when I started learning to fish grass was getting away from the idea that you have to keep your bait free of it. Most bites will actually come when you're in the stuff, or at least ripping free of it in my experience, and I was really surprised at how cleanly you can get a bait through it, particularly if the grass is healthy. You might be surprised how well you can fish your favorite techniques to use in other places right through the grass.

Sorry for the book - I'm procrastinating today, and also remember how daunting learning to fish grass was when I first moved to Minnesota from West Virginia where we had basically no grass at all. Thank goodness for Bassmaster Live and getting to watch those guys do it as well as some really awesome guys in my club who offered some tips, cause most folks around here are more happy to politely take your money than to teach you how to beat them! I suspect that's pretty universal after typing it out....

Hopefully some of that applies to what you're looking at!

Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    Wow, thanks Drew. That's a ton of information. I don't think the main lake grass is up enough to flip yet, there's some in pockets and creeks surfaced or just below that is flippable but it's hammered just like the ledges.
    I'll definitely be giving this stuff a shot this weekend to see what I can find
    I think a big misconception is that it needs to be topped out to flip it. I actually prefer and have more luck flipping the stuff that has not topped out yet (or that never does top out which is pretty common around here with our comparatively short "growing season"). Maybe it's as simple as people not flipping it as much if it's not topped out and so those fish are less pressured. In any case, if it's a couple or three feet off the bottom, there will be a "cavern" underneath that the fish get into and you can flip it!

Quote Originally Posted by TohoRookie View Post
    I've been all over grass flats lately. All my fish have left open water. I seem to catch a lot of numbers over the tops of the grass...using drop shots, jerkbaits, lighter jigs , but not much size. I'm going to try pitching with punch skirt and heavier weight like you mention, and see if I can get down a little deeper. Hopefully I can find some bigger ones that way.
    That sounds like a good plan! Around here you can get them over the tops, but it's rare to get the good ones that way except maybe early in the morning or on cloudy and/or rainy days. It's not to say that you won't catch little ones buried in it or that you won't catch a good one fishing over top of it, but the big ones definitely seem to bury up in it much more than they're willing to come out and chase something.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

8. Banned
    Find the grass, find the Bass.. Find the right mixture and things can get heavy in a hurry.. (read the description of the first two plants)

https://www.floridalakefront.com/lakefront-faqs/aquatic-plants-of-florida/

9. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    If I can find some healthy offshore grass I’m a happy guy! Drew, as always, is incredibly informative! I like to start looking for active fish with a squarebill or Lil John...hitting the tips of the grass. It’s a good way to cover water and find what parts of the grass they’re relating to.

This is where the Jackhammer really shines for me! With a 3.8” BPS swimbait as a trailer I can search grass beds and cover water fast. The jh can work almost as a jig dropping it into the holes in the grass and ripping it out. This draws a strike a lot. Also, with the JH I can go a little deeper in the grass if they’re not willing to come out of the cover.

Depending on depth a jerkbait (I use the KVD 200 series or a Vision 110) can draw them out of the deeper grass and since it suspends you can go after the fish you’ve located while searching.

A Zoom ultravibe worm with a 3/16 sinker is a lure I like to swim through grass and obviously lets you fish any depth they’re at.

My favorite 2 ways of fishing healthy, sturdy grass(not the stringy, slimy type) is with a swim jig (Thanks to Lew) or with a 4.5-6” soft swimbait. A 5/0 weighted swimbait hook (1/4oz) and a slow steady retrieve can get that swimbait working through the grass in a deadly fashion!

As for flipping/pitching...I cannot explain it better than Drew
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

10. Member
    Pitching has never been my thing. I guess I lack the patience. But, maybe doing it offshore, where I know there's fish, will help me get some confidence. If you see a post from me this weekend, it worked. If not, then you know the result lol.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I think a big misconception is that it needs to be topped out to flip it. I actually prefer and have more luck flipping the stuff that has not topped out yet (or that never does top out which is pretty common around here with our comparatively short "growing season"). Maybe it's as simple as people not flipping it as much if it's not topped out and so those fish are less pressured. In any case, if it's a couple or three feet off the bottom, there will be a "cavern" underneath that the fish get into and you can flip it!
    That's true, but unless the grass is within 2' of the surface I won't be able to see it well enough to see clumps and things to pitch at.

12. Member
    That's true, but unless the grass is within 2' of the surface I won't be able to see it well enough to see clumps and things to pitch at.
    Just blind flip, it's a lot more effective than you think. Other than flipping or throwing a t-rig, swim jigs and chatterbaits ripped through the grass is what i'd go with.

13. Member
    do you have side imaging on your graph?
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rat0502 View Post
    do you have side imaging on your graph?
    I've got 360 up front so I can see the grass and edges

15. Member
    I've got 360 up front so I can see the grass and edges
    Well there ya go, dont need to see it above if you can see it below!
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

16. Member
    any advice on eel grass?

Quote Originally Posted by ifigure View Post
    any advice on eel grass?
    I see eel grass, the first think I usually think is topwater.

A lot of times they will sit in that eel grass waiting to ambush.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifigure View Post
    any advice on eel grass?
    Fish it with swim jigs, bull shad, cranks, and spooks on gville

19. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hez View Post
    I see eel grass, the first think I usually think is topwater.

A lot of times they will sit in that eel grass waiting to ambush.
    You always think topwater first!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    You always think topwater first!
    Got to start somewhere!

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles