merc monitor alarm on 250 Pro XS 4s

Serial# 2B644160
    2019/Merc/250 Pro XS
    24 Fury 3 blade all vents open
    5900 rpm limited by water condition
    water pressure never below 18psi
    Analog gauges w/Mercmonitor level 2

Motor is still in break in period but getting 6 beeps on start up and mercmonitor alarm says throttle demand sensor not functioning properly. Power seems down a little but weather was 94 w/humidity of 75%.

Not sure what this alarm is and cannot find any internet info on it. Trying to get to the dealer but wait is long. Any thoughts and is this a known issue on the new 4s motor?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Need to get it to the dealer and have the throttle cable, hotfoot, and related components adjusted to confirm that the throttle is CONSISTENTLY returning to the IDLE position.

Also that the throttle is reaching 100% Demand at WOT.

And of course, NEVER apply throttle unless the engine is RUNNING, and IN GEAR (going somewhere). Any application of throttle at other times can potentially lead to faults.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KH59 View Post
    Serial# 2B644160
    2019/Merc/250 Pro XS
    24 Fury 3 blade all vents open
    5900 rpm limited by water condition
    water pressure never below 18psi
    Analog gauges w/Mercmonitor level 2

Motor is still in break in period but getting 6 beeps on start up and mercmonitor alarm says throttle demand sensor not functioning properly. Power seems down a little but weather was 94 w/humidity of 75%.

Not sure what this alarm is and cannot find any internet info on it. Trying to get to the dealer but wait is long. Any thoughts and is this a known issue on the new 4s motor?
    Can't remember the exact beeps I was getting, but it ended up being one of the throttle sensors. One was correct, the other was reading 100% throttle at all times. Only took like 2 days to get the part and replace at my dealer.
    2020 Triton 206 Allure
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S Serial # 2B642047
    Bravo XS 22p @ 4.5" PTP
    Minn-Kota Terrova 112 w/ IPilot
    Lowrance Ti2 12" Console
    Lowrance Ti2 9" Bow
    Lowrance Point 1
    Standard Horizon GX2350S
    Shakespeare QC-8 Antenna

4. Member
    Thanks for the feedback! Anxious to see what dealer finds.

5. Member
    UPDATE

Dealer found the throttle cable from factory out of adjustment so that seemed the obvious problem and that intially fixed the warning. But on a second test the warning reappeared. So now the throttle demand sensor has been ordered. I'm wondering if there is a bad batch of sensors out there or the throttle cable adjustments messed up the sensor permanently?

Sensor should be replaced next week so i will see what happens then. I get nervous when new motors have out of the box problems like this.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I've not yet seen a demand sensor problem- but it's certainly possible. Seen QUITE a few improper setups (hotfoot idle stop not set, cable maladjusted, return spring too loose, or all of the above).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KH59 View Post
    UPDATE

Dealer found the throttle cable from factory out of adjustment so that seemed the obvious problem and that intially fixed the warning. But on a second test the warning reappeared. So now the throttle demand sensor has been ordered. I'm wondering if there is a bad batch of sensors out there or the throttle cable adjustments messed up the sensor permanently?

Sensor should be replaced next week so i will see what happens then. I get nervous when new motors have out of the box problems like this.
    got the same code last week after making repairs to hot foot issues. 2019 250 ProXS 4s.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Possible that the demand sensor's wiring is not properly tie-wrapped into place (specific routing and tie wrap locations are shown in the Service Manual).

If a tie-wrap were missing, the harness could possibly chafe against metal hardware, potentially causing faults.