IS the GT50 better than the GT54UHD at 455kHz SI?

GT50
    ClearVü/SideVü: 1.1°x53° @ 455 kHz
    0.7°x30° @ 800 kHz
    CHIRP Traditional 300 W; ClearVü/SideVü 500 W
    Traditional: 1,500 ft.; ClearVü: 750 ft.; SideVü: 500 ft.

GT54UHD
    ClearVü: 0.94°x60° @ 800 kHz
    SideVü: 1.62°x50°
    UHD SideVü: 0.441°x52° @ 1200 kHz
    CHIRP Traditional 350 W; ClearVü/SideVü 350 W
    CHIRP: 800 ft.; ClearVü 200 ft.; SideVü 500'; UHD SideVü 125'

Looks like the GT50 at 455kHz is 1.1
    ° vs 1.62° for the GT54UHD. The GT50 also has more Watts of power. Looks like the GT50 is generally available around price of $370 (even though list is higher). A GT54 looks like it runs around $310. So it is a little cheaper.

The GT54 does have the UHD capability but otherwise it looks like the GT50 is better in most ways.

Has anyone compared these two transducers? Is there a noticeable difference in image quality. Also a secondary question, would I see a big improvement in image quality on my Echomap Chirp 73SV if I switched from the GT52 to a GT50?

Thanks for any insight.

2. Member
    IMO. Yes, GT50 side imaging is better than GT54. At short range, they both look about the same to me. But, in deep water, there is no contest. The GT50 is much more consistent.
    Im not sure you would see much difference between the two on a 7" echomap. I feel like you're limited by screen resolution more than transducer.
    I have both transducers on my boat now with a 106sv and a 93plus. Whichever transducer is plugged into the 106 always looks better.
    They both look way better than the CV52 I had on before.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SamMule View Post
    IMO. Yes, GT50 side imaging is better than GT54. At short range, they both look about the same to me. But, in deep water, there is no contest. The GT50 is much more consistent.
    Im not sure you would see much difference between the two on a 7" echomap. I feel like you're limited by screen resolution more than transducer.
    I have both transducers on my boat now with a 106sv and a 93plus. Whichever transducer is plugged into the 106 always looks better.
    They both look way better than the CV52 I had on before.
    Thanks, I kind of figured I might be screen limited with the 7" display. It is exciting to hear that they are noticeably better than the 52, which I have now and really don't have any complaints, but a better image is always a plus.

I plan on upgrading some time in the next year and I am considering a 106SV (and a Raymarine Element 12, and a Humminbird Helix 10). I just naturally thought I would get the 106SV with the GT54-UHD but in looking at transducers the GT50 specs looked pretty dang good. If I go the 106SV I will have to decide between the two transducers. Too many choices and too little money :)

4. Member
    I hear you there. I fish deep for lake trout. Often in excess of 200'. However, I do a fair amount of shallow water fishing for warm water species in the summer. If I was going to pick one transducer between the two, it would be the GT50. I was out doing some comparisons yesterday, and found the 2d sonar to be more effective in picking up fish near the bottom in deep water. Not exactly sure why, but yesterday it would consistently show separation between fish and the bottom, where the GT54 would not. Made sure my TVG, Gain, and interference settings were the same on both too...
    Also, the 800khz side imaging on the GT50 seemed nearly as clear as the GT54 uhd, but with much greater effective range.
    Will definitely be doing some more playing around with the GT50 @800.