No Source Issue w/Livesight Transducer

This past weekend, I finally got a chance to experiment with the new livesight transducer that is mounted on my trolling motor looking forward and using HDS Live 12 units. For whatever reason, it seemed like for a 1/3 of the day, I would get a "NO SOURCE" error on my display. I would be sitting still, working fine, and then get the error without moving the TM or anything else. I tried unplugging and reconnecting the plug and restarting the unit to see if it would clear the error, but nothing really worked. I haven't tried the hard restart yet or called Lowrance to discuss yet. I'm assuming that could be a software issue similar to when my 2D sonar would randomly quit scrolling. Just seeing if anyone else had a similar issue before I call Lowrance to get further assistance.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

2. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Have you applied the latest firmware to your 12 and also the update to the LiveSight itself?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarrow View Post
    Have you applied the latest firmware to your 12 and also the update to the LiveSight itself?
    I will check when I get home. I did the update to the HDS 12, but didn't know that there was an actual software update for the LiveSight itself. Thanks.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by booter View Post
    I will check when I get home. I did the update to the HDS 12, but didn't know that there was an actual software update for the LiveSight itself. Thanks.
    Your unit needs to be updated to 19.1.
    2012 Stratos 189 VLo Yamaha 150 Four Stroke

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/bzwildman81/

You also need to enable LiveSight in: Installation and features

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wallyandre View Post
    You also need to enable LiveSight in: Installation and features
    I'm pretty sure that I already have the 19.1 software and installed it a few weeks ago and when I turned the unit on with the LiveSight transducer plugged in, it enabled the features. I was able to use the transducer fine for about an 30 or minutes over the weekend, then I would start getting random NO SOURCE errors. I will make sure that the software is up to date and there's not a separate software for the transducer itself.

I'm pretty sure that I already have the 19.1 software and installed it a few weeks ago and when I turned the unit on with the LiveSight transducer plugged in, it enabled the features. I was able to use the transducer fine for about an 30 or minutes over the weekend, then I would start getting random NO SOURCE errors. I will make sure that the software is up to date and there's not a separate software for the transducer itself.
    I had exactly the same problems over the weekend. I'll be watching this thread closely.

It would work fine for a bit, including on the other units on the network, and then I'd get a No Source error that I couldn't fix without doing a hard reset on the unit the transducer was connected to, and even then, it wouldn't always read the LiveSight transducer. The odd part was, if I went into the Sonar page, it would show that I had the LiveSight connected, it was there and greyed out, just like Airmar TM150 or the AI transducers. If I went into the Livesight Installation tab, it would say that no transducer was connected. Very frustrating...

All units updated to 19.1, and LiveSight software update done. The only issue I can think of is that my SS3D module was not updated with the 19.1 software. I was at a tournament, so I didn't get a chance to really work on solving the problem, hopefully I'll get a chance in the next few days. I'll reply if I can get it figured it out.

Waxy

P.S. From what little time I did get to spend with it, I was pretty impressed. I have mine mounted on the transom looking down, and I was able to see my jigging rap and watch the fish react to it, including catching a couple. That was VERY cool. I think LiveSight could be an awesome tool for the way I fish if I can get it all sorted out.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    I had exactly the same problems over the weekend. I'll be watching this thread closely.

It would work fine for a bit, including on the other units on the network, and then I'd get a No Source error that I couldn't fix without doing a hard reset on the unit the transducer was connected to, and even then, it wouldn't always read the LiveSight transducer. The odd part was, if I went into the Sonar page, it would show that I had the LiveSight connected, it was there and greyed out, just like Airmar TM150 or the AI transducers. If I went into the Livesight Installation tab, it would say that no transducer was connected. Very frustrating...

All units updated to 19.1, and LiveSight software update done. The only issue I can think of is that my SS3D module was not updated with the 19.1 software. I was at a tournament, so I didn't get a chance to really work on solving the problem, hopefully I'll get a chance in the next few days. I'll reply if I can get it figured it out.

Waxy

P.S. From what little time I did get to spend with it, I was pretty impressed. I have mine mounted on the transom looking down, and I was able to see my jigging rap and watch the fish react to it, including catching a couple. That was VERY cool. I think LiveSight could be an awesome tool for the way I fish if I can get it all sorted out.
    I downloaded the software and reinstalled it again for the LiveSight module. Then I performed a hard reset after the software update and let it sit there for 45 minutes with the ping off and it didn't lose source. Plus I wiggled the wires some to think that maybe the cable is bad or something and it seemed okay and didn't lose source either. I will take it out and see how it works this weekend and also will see if the hard reset will correct my issue of randomly losing 2D sonar as well on my console unit.

I downloaded the software and reinstalled it again for the LiveSight module. Then I performed a hard reset after the software update and let it sit there for 45 minutes with the ping off and it didn't lose source. Plus I wiggled the wires some to think that maybe the cable is bad or something and it seemed okay and didn't lose source either. I will take it out and see how it works this weekend and also will see if the hard reset will correct my issue of randomly losing 2D sonar as well on my console unit.
    Yeah, I think I'll start by re-downloading and re-installing the software update on the sonar unit, the transducer, and my SS3D, and then doing another hard reset.

Hopefully that'll solve the problem, but I'm seeing a lot of people online and on Facebook that are having this problem, so I have a feeling it's a software issue that's going to require a patch of some kind to fix it.

Waxy

10. Member
    I got my system updated and installed the Lowrance LIVESIGHT transducer and HARD RESET. Took 10 minutes with HDS LIVE 12. Be sure all other system's are OFF!

11. Member
    I had a similar issue after I had upgraded the Transducers. On the BOW unit it kept saying no source until I did a hard reset. After that it work flawlessly for 3 straight days..
    2016 Skeeter ZX225

Man, I really don't want to do a hard reset on all three of my units. It takes me almost an hour for each unit to get them all setup with the page layouts, data overlay, and settings that I like. I guess if I have to I have to, but it's a serious PITA.

Waxy

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Man, I really don't want to do a hard reset on all three of my units. It takes me almost an hour for each unit to get them all setup with the page layouts, data overlay, and settings that I like. I guess if I have to I have to, but it's a serious PITA.

Waxy
    I tried saving my settings to my card, but when I went to restore my settings, they didn't convert back, so I probably did something wrong. For my bow unit, I didn't care too much, but for my console, I created a custom engine monitor page and I can't get the fuel econ to measure mpg, instead now it reads gallons per hour....But if it works normal again, I really won't care.

14. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    It is very easy to save your unit's settings to an SD card...and just as easy to import them back.

All you do is to go into Storage and touch Settings Database....tell it what card you want to write it to....and give the file a name (on the console, we use CONSOLE...go figure <LOL>). Have to do this on each unit but only takes 10 seconds.

To import them back, simply put the card in and go to Storage and open the Memory Card location and touch the file you want to import....takes a few seconds and reboots the unit....everything right back in place!

You can also use the Link app on your smart phone to backup and restore settings from your iPhone/Android (as well as backup/restore waypoints!)

Roy
    Wacky Riggers

Quote Originally Posted by rbarrow View Post
    It is very easy to save your unit's settings to an SD card...and just as easy to import them back.

All you do is to go into Storage and touch Settings Database....tell it what card you want to write it to....and give the file a name (on the console, we use CONSOLE...go figure <LOL>). Have to do this on each unit but only takes 10 seconds.

To import them back, simply put the card in and go to Storage and open the Memory Card location and touch the file you want to import....takes a few seconds and reboots the unit....everything right back in place!

You can also use the Link app on your smart phone to backup and restore settings from your iPhone/Android (as well as backup/restore waypoints!)

Roy
    Wacky Riggers
    I was aware of this, but I always assumed it was a bad idea, because you were likely restoring the very settings that were causing the problem in the first place.

If that's not the case, then that's great, I'll do it this way for sure.

Waxy

16. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Actually restoring settings from the database WILL NOT restore "problems" as problems are not stored in the database. Yes if you have the wrong transducer selected or the wrong source for a screen temp selected, these will be restored but...these are NOT the things that cause a unit to become unstable.

Hard resets basically wipe out all the temp files, the registry settings, and other things that are created in the background during the unit use. These are the things that are most typically the source of the kinds of problems that a hard reset fixes.

Restoring the database only restores those things that are manageable by the user and there are very few things that the user can screw up...and almost nothing the user can do to actually create crashes/intermittent issues/etc.

Roy

17. Member
    UPDATE: Was able to go out this weekend after performing a hard restart on both of my HDS Live units. When using 2D sonar on my console unit, the unit performed as advertised and the sonar screen never quit scrolling as it previously did. In regards to the LiveSight transducer and it losing source, I still had that issue as well. Not sure if I maybe kinked a wire due to how I installed it on my Ultrex TM shaft or it's an interference issue since I'm running a HB360 with MEGA DI. Once I shut down the HB unit, I didn't lose the source for the last hour I was fishing with it in deeper water. I'm still experimenting with it and will keep everyone updated once I figure it out if it's an interference, installation, depth, or combination problem.

id like to know if this was ever solved by BOOTER
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by low slung cruiser View Post
    id like to know if this was ever solved by BOOTER
    Since then, I got rid of my 360 and run only a HDS Live 12 and use the 2D/DI transducer in the trolling motor. As far as losing source, ever since the last few 20.0 updates for the sonar module & graphs, it's been working pretty good for the most part and the down view is better than the forward looking view IMO. I do however shut off the DI on my trolling motor because it seems like that it bogs down the processing power of the graph and it takes it a bit for the Liveight to start working. However, I do not have any of the "NO SOURCE" issues.