Lake Winnipesaukee NH Trip Advice.....?s for the experts

Hey guys,

My 13 year old wanted to take a mini fishing road trip while school is out this summer, and we like smallmouth fishing and have narrowed down our choice to Lake Winnipesaukee in NH. Wow, that lake is huge! Hoping some local experts can help us with a few basics:

1) Does anyone have a recommendation on which area/boat ramp of the lake to focus on?
    2) Looking for any recommendations on a boat friendly place to stay near the boat ramp......ideally it would be something more rustic like cabins for rent rather than a motel, but open to ideas. I can also check out AirBnb and VRBO once I narrow down what area we will be launching from.

Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions, much appreciated!!!

Thanks, RL

Check out Ames Farm. Cabins right on the water and they have their own ramp. Lots of good nearby smallie spots, too.

http://www.amesfarminn.com/accommodations_cabins.htm

Ranger Z521 Mercury 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    Go to Squam Lake just to the North of Winni. It's a beautiful quiet lake full of smallmouths... you'll thank me later! Winni is a mad house with all the large pleasure boaters out there

4. Member
    +1 on Winni and Ames Farm. If you stay there, you could also hit Merrymeeting Lake which is a GREAT smallmouth lake.
    Scott Doughty
    2022 Skeeter ZX225 - 2022 Yamaha 225 SHO
    Salem, NH

5. Member
    Last time I stayed at Ames no a/c if that's a problem for you you better check on it.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

6. Member
    Another lake right in Wolfeboro that kills for bass is Wentworth. Much smaller than Winni so you get way less boat traffic and still excellent bass fishing. Winni can be a crap shoot if you don’t know spots.

silver sands motel ,pretty sure if you rent a cabin you get your own dock space, it is a really good location everything you need is close bye,on the weekends the boat traffic is brutal

Silver Sands is a good option if you plan on leaving your boat in the water. Gas dock prices are a bit high there and there is a lot boat traffic getting in and out of Silver Sands as it's a good sized marina. It's about 5 miles down the road from Ames Farm.

Ranger Z521 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by javjoe View Post
    Go to Squam Lake just to the North of Winni. It's a beautiful quiet lake full of smallmouths... you'll thank me later! Winni is a mad house with all the large pleasure boaters out there
    Wise man right here!
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

10. Member
    My club used to go out of Lees Mills, at the top of Moultenboro Bay, but it's a good ride to the best smallie areas. Harrilla Landing puts you in the middle of the lake, but (like most of the lake's ramps) you want to be there early for parking. Wolfeboro/Back Bay is my preferred ramp, hopefully the redone parking area will suffice. IMO, every rockpile in Winni holds fish - finding the ones with 3#ers is the challenge.

IMHO, Squam is the real gem of the Lakes region, although finding a quality bite will take you a little longer than Winni. You won't have the same issues with wakes and wind though. Rockywold/Deephaven https://www.rdcsquam.com/lodging/ has the best accommodations of the type you're interested in. I'll also second Wentworth Lake.

agree with all the above. Been a looong time since I fished it. Had the offer of a job as a water cop on it so pretty familiar. First off...… buy the great map !!! You used to be able to rent by the week in Bal Moral and it was great fishing in the spring for lm. It's real close to Lee's Mills. Used to do great @ the Witches and around the Graveyard. Called Graveyard for a reason, stay inside those markers.Lots of excellent deep sm holes.Nobody mentioned Waukewan, I used to love it. Great fishing and not with the big crowds.Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lund View Post
    Hey guys,

My 13 year old wanted to take a mini fishing road trip while school is out this summer, and we like smallmouth fishing and have narrowed down our choice to Lake Winnipesaukee in NH. Wow, that lake is huge! Hoping some local experts can help us with a few basics:

1) Does anyone have a recommendation on which area/boat ramp of the lake to focus on?
    2) Looking for any recommendations on a boat friendly place to stay near the boat ramp......ideally it would be something more rustic like cabins for rent rather than a motel, but open to ideas. I can also check out AirBnb and VRBO once I narrow down what area we will be launching from.

Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions, much appreciated!!!

Thanks, RL
    does your son know that the lake is being taken over by rock bass and pleasure boaters? as mentioned above there are much better options close to Winni.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

I live 7 minutes from Winnipesaukee and would rather travel 3 hours to fish Champlain. Contact the Anchorage in South Hero, VT. The owner fishes and can help you with info. Winni is not fishing friendly after 10 am with all the boats running around.

14. Banned
    As mentioned above. ALL IS TRUE. If you want/need to come to New Hampshire, I would focus my thoughts more to SQUAM LAKE. You can always trailer to Winnie and see for yourself how bad you get beat up on the lake by boaters and waves, or stick to Squam and really enjoy your vacation. If NH isn't a must, I would take bassfish1's info and truly enjoy big small mouth fishing.

Thanks for all the insight and info guys, super appreciated!

I think we are going to postpone our maiden voyage to NH in favor of the St. Lawrence out of Clayton

I think we are going to postpone our maiden voyage to NH in favor of the St. Lawrence out of Clayton
    See if you can get a cottage here - https://www.seawayslips.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bassfish1 View Post
    See if you can get a cottage here - https://www.seawayslips.com/
    Thanks again Steve (and all) for the advice......I was able to get a place at Seaway and am super excited....BBC is awesome!

18. Member
    Thanks again Steve (and all) for the advice......I was able to get a place at Seaway and am super excited....BBC is awesome!
    enjoy your trip..post pics when you get done!

have a great time, let us know how it goes.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!