2004 200 Optimax Warning buzzer

Hello all,
    I have a 2004 200 Opti. Today when out on the water, my warning buzzer started to go off. It did it first while in gear idling across a bay in slow speed. Then later, it would go off when trying to plane off, but would stop once the boat planed off. While on plane, no buzzer at all and engine is running fine. What would cause this? Is the warning buzzer for an oil issue, or is it a water pressure or temp issue?
    thanks
    Last edited by bombercraw; 07-22-2019 at 07:57 AM.

2. Member
    Get the faults read it's the only way to know the real problem.

3. Member
    See Announcement at top of forum and provide the required info please.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by KJK View Post
    Get the faults read it's the only way to know the real problem.
    That's what I figured I'd have to do. Just wondering what could be the potential causes. I'm guessing it could be either water pressure/engine temp or oil. It's odd though because once the boat planes off, the warning buzzer quits and engine runs fine.

5. Member
    From the FAQ at the top of the forum page........

Click on this>>>>"My warning horn went "Beep".... or "Beep Beep Beep Beep""

Warning buzzer was a solid beep when trying to plane off, but as soon as it planed off, buzzer stopped. I'll get it to a dealer to read the fault codes, but just looking for some insight on probably causes of this. Seems strange that the buzzer stopped as soon as the boat planned off and ran fine. It did this twice yesterday and I headed back to the boat ramp due to worry. Sounds like based on reading that this is indicative of a overheating issue? Maybe overheating at idle or slow speeds but when on plane with more water flowing the issue goes away?

7. Member
    How old is the impeller?
    Might not pump enough water at idle or under heavy load while planning. Higher rpms at cruising could allow enough water .

Oil issues should have beeps and not a constant tone.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    From the FAQ at the top of the forum page........

Click on this>>>>"My warning horn went "Beep".... or "Beep Beep Beep Beep""
    This is the only real accurate method of finding the CORRECT solution, the first time.

Also... If you would, please take a few moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Wanted to circle back to give an update. I took my boat to my local Mercury repair shop. After hooking it up to the diagnostic and pulling the codes, the technician indicated that the warning buzzer was due to an oil alarm. He indicated that the float in the oil reservoir had became "waterlogged" and was not floating as it should which gave a false signal that the oil level was low. He indicated that this needed to be replaced ($233 for the tank alone coming directly from Mercury). Seems terribly expensive for such a small little plastic tank. Not too happy with Mercury about that. He also suggested I go ahead and replace the water pump impeller since it had never been changed. My engine only has 131 hours on it, but since it's 15 years old, he indicated it would be a good idea. $565 later, I have my boat back. I have not put it on the water yet to verify all is well, but the technician seemed confident that this will fix my issue. He said he ran it in the tank and had no warning buzzer or codes show up after replacing the oil tank and impeller.

10. Member
    Might want to review this FAQ topic noting a lot of things are 100hs or annual whichever comes first - Recommended Annual Maintenance or Winterization for Optimax Engines
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax