Lightbulb Anyone want to help me trouble shoot a Helix 12 problem?

One year old Helix 12 G2 is acting up. Works as normal early in the day, but when I turn it off and then try to turn it on later in the day, it won’t power up. I get beeping but a dark screen with faint lines. Rest it under my boat lift while I go in for supper and it will work fine when I come back out. I’m wondering if there is a heating problem as it seems to only do this in the middle of the day? Is that possible?? Other potential causes/solutions you can think of? Just to give more background, I moved this unit from the bow to the console this spring and re-wired it direct to the battery. No problems on the bow last year. Also, I’ve not done the latest software update but the fixes aren’t addressing the problem with the unit.

anyone want to take a stab at this??

Heat is always a possible issue with electronics ..... did the unit have the same problem when you moved it to the console?

If you swapped units and the problem stayed with the unit ... not the location ... you have probably eliminated voltage as a problem, but I would still set one of the readouts on the unit to display voltage just to make sure it looks good.

If the voltage is good .... probably a problem with the unit that you need to talk to Humminbird about. Is is still under warranty?
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

3. Member
    Voltage is good. Same as bow unit. 12.5V. System status page says the unit passes the self test. The problem described is a new problem. The unit was flawless in the bow last year. Makes me wonder if my new wiring needs to be checked, but then why would it operate fine for the morning then not turn on as the day progresses, day after day? Seems to operate fine when cool. I dunno...

4. Member
    5 month old helix 12 gen 2 on new boat , worked fine then on tournament day early morning heading to waypoint 1 mapping goes goffy shut off and won't come back on making the beep and some lines but nothing , that night I take my bow unit and plug to the consul and works fine power not the problem called humminbird sending back

5. Member
    If you have another unit, is it possible to swap positions temporarily? What's your other unit?
    Console [HELIX 10MSI G3N || HELIX 10MSI G3N]
    Bow [HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N] || RC-2] || [HELIX 10MSI G4N] || [M360 UNIVERSAL MOUNT] || [Mega Live]
    ULTERRA80/US2/IPLINK-60" BT || 2xAS ETH 5PXG || Victron IP67 12V/25A || [NoCo Genius GX2440 24V/40A]
    [X2 GROUP 31] x 3 || [Battleborn 31 lithium]
    Alumacraft Voyageur 175/Yamaha VF115LA

6. Member
    I HAVE 2 helix 10 at the bow so for time being took one and moved to the consul works fine

7. Member
    Spoke with Humminbird today. They said to return the unit, it’s probably an overheating issue. The two-year warranty should cover the unit no matter what the problem. I hope they fix it right!

8. Member
    For those following this thread, the unit was returned by Humminbird with a new circuit board installed under warranty. Haven’t had a chance to test the unit, but crossing my fingers that fixed the problem.

9. Member
    Yes my 12 did a shut down and sent it back with a return of same unit with a new board installed , happy as heck with a tournament at the 1000 islands worked fine and was hot also those couple days , then 2 weeks later out on another tournament working fine and after close to 5 hours looked over and black screen hit button and nothing hit again just humminbird shows up and then black , so we let it sit for about and hour turn on and she works great for rest of the day , so confused

10. Member
    You said the power was fine. You moved your other unit after it sat for a while so you might have a power problem that is heat related. Poor connections will heat up till the resistance gets too high and shuts the unit off. Could be a breaker issue also. Read the voltage when the problem happens. Of course it could still be the unit but try checking the voltage right when the problem happens. Bob
    Note: a 12 requires more amps to work.