Question Need some advice on installing livescope

I’ve got a livescope and chart plotter to install on my 1980. Does anyone have any advice before I give it a go? Is there wiring for my chart plotter ready under the bow panel? How do you run power to the black box (I plan to mount it to the front wall of the starboard storage compartment). How do you run the transducer cable to the bow? Any drilling need to be done? Any help is appreciated.

2. Member
    I installed mine a few weeks ago. There is a place to connect power under the recessed trolling motor tray. Easy access. Just be careful with the screws, they strip easily if they come in and out of the fiberglass (and then aluminum) too many times. I cut open one of the rod tubes leading to the center rod box (wish I would have chosen a bottom one) and then mounted the black box on the starboard wall of the center rod locker. All three cables needed (power, transducer and network/panoptix) all fit neatly in that one rod tube. Still have room to put either a rod or the tall anchor light in the tube that has the wires running through it.

Re: drilling. Only four holes, one for each screw that mounts black box to whatever wall you choose.

One more thing: in the instructions (and online videos), they tell you not to use zip ties because they may "crimp" the very sensitive livescope wire (not sure my terminology is correct). I found that black electrical tape worked fine. Just make sure your adjustment cowl (make TM shallow or deep) doesn't run into the LiveScope cable.

Hope this helps in some way.

3. Member
    I wired mine all way to battery which was chore running the wire for black box. Unit went to the fuse block up front. I put my black box in the side rod locker top tube. Had to cut it down but worked and clean install. I used the tube that trolling motor wires ran and ran three wires to back to battery. Third one is if I need to run another power source. It was not easy running those 3 fyi the tube has something was getting snagged on but finally got it after much sweating
    Jeremy
    Texas A&M \'99

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TDWalk View Post
    I installed mine a few weeks ago. There is a place to connect power under the recessed trolling motor tray. Easy access. Just be careful with the screws, they strip easily if they come in and out of the fiberglass (and then aluminum) too many times. I cut open one of the rod tubes leading to the center rod box (wish I would have chosen a bottom one) and then mounted the black box on the starboard wall of the center rod locker. All three cables needed (power, transducer and network/panoptix) all fit neatly in that one rod tube. Still have room to put either a rod or the tall anchor light in the tube that has the wires running through it.

Re: drilling. Only four holes, one for each screw that mounts black box to whatever wall you choose.

One more thing: in the instructions (and online videos), they tell you not to use zip ties because they may "crimp" the very sensitive livescope wire (not sure my terminology is correct). I found that black electrical tape worked fine. Just make sure your adjustment cowl (make TM shallow or deep) doesn't run into the LiveScope cable.

thanks for all of this. Very helpful. Can I ask what screws you used to mount the black box to the wall? Did you use screws or bolts with nuts on the other side?

5. Member
    SJ88:

Sorry for delayed response. Been a busy week. Guessing this response comes after you installed.

I used the screws that came with the LiveScope black box unit. Pre-drilled one size too small to help make sure they got a good "bite."

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TDWalk View Post

Does your set up work fine with you getting the power source from the panel under the trolling motor/bow tray? I just installed mine that way but now the dealer said I need to run directly to the battery and add a designated switch. From the cranking battery there is a main breaker. It shuts down everything to the bow. The only thing that seems to get power when the breaker is off is the ignition. Any lights, graphs, trim switch etc doesn’t work with the breaker off.

7. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Vexus actually sells a Black Box mounting bracket that goes under the bow mount electronics.
    these should be a Electrical Buss under the Electronics Panel also

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sclark View Post
    Vexus actually sells a Black Box mounting bracket that goes under the bow mount electronics.
    these should be a Electrical Buss under the Electronics Panel also
    do dealers usually have these or can we get them from you guys when they install mine later this season. i'm not sure which brand i'm going with yet, but if I go with garmin can we get our hands on it to make the install cleaner?

9. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimim View Post
    do dealers usually have these or can we get them from you guys when they install mine later this season. i'm not sure which brand i'm going with yet, but if I go with garmin can we get our hands on it to make the install cleaner?
    they are sold thru the Vexus Parts Department, dealers can also order them..
    if you order a new vexus boat, talk to your dealer and have them install it during the boat build process.