Bow Stop post loose & sliding back

I noticed I could no longer get my motor toter easily on my trailer roller as the toter was rubbing the bottom of the boat. It has gotten worse and worse over the last year. Today I figured out why - the post the bow stop is mounted on has slid back about an inch. There are 2 U bolts with a connector plate under the main beam of the front of the trailer. You can see where both bolts and the bow stop post have slid backward, meaning the boat is riding back that much further on the trailer.

I am planning on getting the boat in the water so I can hopefully loosen the u bolts and slide the post back into place. Any risk in doing this assuming I get the bolts back on tight? I have a 1,000 mile+ trip coming up and want to get this addressed quick.

2. mikesxpress
    The winch stand with the bow stop moved back? That's weird. Normally they get pushed forward due to power loading? Move it back and get it tight.

What I have seen on the Ranger trailer is that the plate the u bolts tighten through gets bent a little over time and causes the u bolts to loosen enough for them to slide a little
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

I have always said to myself, if mine ever loosens up, I will drill two holes and add 3/8" bolts along with the u bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrodbender View Post
    I have always said to myself, if mine ever loosens up, I will drill two holes and add 3/8" bolts along with the u bolts.
    This ^^^ only with "3" bolts !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

If the plate was a piece of channel instead of flat plate it probably wouldn't bend when you tighten the bolts
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

7. Member
    Thanks everyone - really appreciate the responses. I do believe "power loading" caused me to hit the bow stop hard, which bent the plate the U bolts connect through. Once those got bent, it allowed the whole post to slide back a little at a time. Right now it has slid backward a full inch. Any idea where I can buy new plates? Not sure if Ranger makes replacements?