Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I use the Megabass Destroyer Daemos with a zillion SV TW and switch the spool from braid to flouro depending on conditions. That rod is pretty much perfect for swim jigs

I agree. Megabass Destroyer Daemos, Orochi XX Diablo Spec R, or Levante Diablo Spec R are all three fantastic swim jig rods.

3. Member
    Daemos with a Curado DC.
    Kistler H3 7'6" H with a Bantam for thicker pads, etc.
    Straight braid on both, I fish them either near the tops of pads or though grass, either way, I prefer braid for sensitivity.

4. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    My swim jig rod is a BPS Platinum 7’1 MH-Fast, BPS Platinum reel 8.3:1, 40lb Sufix 832. I learned to fish swim jigs on this rod and it will never have another lure on it. I fish it year round here in Florida and it has never failed me. Lightweight, strong and has the right tip/load for Me. I tend to react too fast and this rod helps me with this issue.

An ALX Toadface is in the near future though, but that’s for soft swimbaits.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

5. Member
    I use my Fred's Magic Stick or EMTF Gen 1 mainly. Great success with those using braid.

If I have the 894c nrx out or Lamiglas infinity 735c, I'll use those. I usually bring 1 rod so they're primarily multipurpose and a few bottom contact rods that I've purchased.

I wonder why the guys that swear by a glass rod for bladed jigs still use a graphite rod for swim jigs, spinnerbaits and buzzbaits?

7. Member
    Mark I was wondering the same thing? I am also very surprised the overwhelming popularity of braid instead of fluorocarbon for swim jigs. I thought being more stealth would be important for swim jigs. Are you guys concerned with the visibility of braid vs. fluoro?

Quote Originally Posted by z520brewer View Post
    Mark I was wondering the same thing? I am also very surprised the overwhelming popularity of braid instead of fluorocarbon for swim jigs. I thought being more stealth would be important for swim jigs. Are you guys concerned with the visibility of braid vs. fluoro?

I use braid if around any cover or grass and usually fluoro on open water and docks.

9. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I’m usually swimming my jig through thick pad fields, Kissimmee grass, cattails or other thick cover so the braid has never hindered me.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by z520brewer View Post
    Are you guys concerned with the visibility of braid vs. fluoro?
    Hackney says no..

https://1source.basspro.com/index.ph...alks-swim-jigs

I use a NRX 843

12. Member
    The best swim jig rod when you're using braid IMO is an old BPS Woo Daves 7'4"EXT74MT or MH, they were sold around 2003 or 2004, I've got 2 of them. You have to put new guides on them I just spiral wrap some alconites. It's a Moderate Fast. I've built probably 30 different blanks trying to find one that will hook up better and haven't been able to. Hydra FL4 (Toadface) is pretty good but just a touch too fast. I also just built a Thrasher BSC7805 that feels promising but haven't had enough time with it yet.

All that being said, my swim jig style with braid is pretty specific 90% of the time when I'm using that setup I'm throwing an 1/8 or 1/4 oz jig the same place you would throw a frog. If I'm just throwing in open water with flouro than there are a lot of different rods that will work well.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I wonder why the guys that swear by a glass rod for bladed jigs still use a graphite rod for swim jigs, spinnerbaits and buzzbaits?
    I use a graphite rod myself for chatterbaits but I think why some use a glass rod for them is when they rip it out of the grass the heavy glass rod will pull it free without moving the bait too far. Or so Brett Hite says . That said I like a rod with a little more give for swim jigs with braid, buzzbaits, and buzz frogs like a horny toad.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TohoRookie View Post
    Daemos with a Curado DC.
    Kistler H3 7'6" H with a Bantam for thicker pads, etc.
    Straight braid on both, I fish them either near the tops of pads or though grass, either way, I prefer braid for sensitivity.

If You'd want to try a swimjig that doesn't get caught in the " V " of the Lilypads; maneuvers over and through. I'd suggest a sidearm cast if You throw the 1/2 oz. it'll make a hole in the pad so You lose casting distance.

Perch Scum color w/just about any trailer that kicks will work in the pads.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/MESU...e-MESURAP.html

15. Member
    I have been using it, and it works well. After reading your reviews, they are correct. It does not get stuck, ever. In the pads, a toad style trailer works well. Can buzz it on top, or just below the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    If You'd want to try a swimjig that doesn't get caught in the " V " of the Lilypads; maneuvers over and through. I'd suggest a sidearm cast if You throw the 1/2 oz. it'll make a hole in the pad so You lose casting distance.

Perch Scum color w/just about any trailer that kicks will work in the pads.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/MESU...e-MESURAP.html

16. Member
    I have a MB X7 Super Rakkai that's a excellent swimbait rod. It has a medium/fast action. I use Sunline Defier Armilo line because it doubles as a larger topwater rod also.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRiverrat View Post
    I use Sunline Defier Armilo line because it doubles as a larger topwater rod also.
    LOVE that line!

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TohoRookie View Post
    I have been using it, and it works well. After reading your reviews, they are correct. It does not get stuck, ever. In the pads, a toad style trailer works well. Can buzz it on top, or just below the surface.

Glad it worked out for You...

Unknown-4.jpeg

Any rod with a soft tip and good backbone will work. I use a Falcon Bucco micro with a Shimano Chronarch 8.x gear ratio. 40-50lb braid. No leader needed. I like using a light weight setup that allows the fish to eat the bait without ripping the jig out of the fishes mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    Open water or cover - ALX Rods Toadface

Or if you are more budget conscious - ALX Rods Promise 73
    I absolutely love my Toadface (all 4 of them, lol) for fish'n a swim jig!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast