Garmin 8616 is marking my points way behind boat

Anyone else having problems marking stuff with your 8616? On either clear or side, whenever I mark a brushpile or whatever, it's marking it way behind me...not even close to where I'm trying to mark....like 75-100 yards off...I've been on phone with Garmin 4 days this past week..spent them 4 different video's of now...they've not been any help really..basically they are telling me that I'm not marking it right...they talked me through marking a point and I did it exactly as they said..same thing..right now, I've got a $6000 POS in my dash...

How I'm doing it - there are several ways btw, but this is how they told me to -

-Find a point o mark while scanning, hit pause
    -tap to place crosshairs over the target to mark
    -hit the little box on top right of screen at has a teardrop and + in it..
    -hit the Create new waypoint box
    -choose symbol for your mark
    -hit back, then unpause

An example - I'll drive straight line for 50 yards or so, then make a 90 turn to the left, go 40-50 yards, make a 90 turn to the right go 50 yard or so, then create a waypoint point. Looking a fishing graph, it will create mark way back before I ever made my first 90 degree turn to the left...go over created waypoint, nothing there..

Hope someone here might have some insight since Garmins doesn't seem to give two shits...
    Blazer 650 PRO /Nizpro SC SHO

2. Member
    When you go back to look for the waypoint do you use Sidescan? I always do especially if the waypoint was marked using side scan.
    If they target is very far out to the side accuracy suffers a good bit.

3. Member
    Can't say I get what you are saying. Really didn't see the point of the two 90 degree turns. Are you saying you are following Garmin's directions with the crosshairs and when you create the waypoint it is NOT on the crosshairs?

Also, just the nature of side imaging, any waypoint you mark with it will be a good distance behind the boat. By the time the screen scrolls down where you can get a good look at the imaging you will be well past whatever it is showing. If it's has scrolled half way down the screen, depending on boat speed that could be quite a distance. Here is my suggestion. Find a target to experiment with using ClearVu. Go back and forth over it until you are reasonable sure you can mark it with a buoy. Since ClearVu has such a wide cone you'll need to mark it again with passes 90 degrees to how you first marked it. With the two buoys place you should have a visual as to the actual location of the target. Now get out from it and use SideVu to find and mark it with a waypoint. Then navigate to the waypoint and see how far off you are.

Maybe post the videos you sent to Garmin. Support says you are not marking the waypoints correctly? Reconsider how you are doing it. There is also a good chance that you are not getting good satellite reception on the 8616 mounted in the dash.

Might be worth a look at GPS Settings. Settings->System->GPS to see if GLONASS and WAAS are on. If part of the problem is GPS reception, there's an alarm you can set under System Alarms to let you know when the accuracy is outside the setting. This would let you know that the waypoint you're about to set wouldn't be accrate.
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 07-22-2019 at 07:10 AM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

4. Member
    My question is if I pause the screen and mark a waypoint at that point in history does the marking function backtrack along the present track to where I was when I passed the item or is it using the present location? I assume it would do the former. If so I am not sure why a waypoint would be so far off.

5. Member
    Are you referring to the OP or are you saying you see this discrepancy also?
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

6. Member
    It marks the waypoint at the location you picked on the screen. If marked on 2D or down view it can be fairly accurate if not spot on taking into account the margin of error typical of any gps. When using side view the closer the target is to the center line of the boat the more accurate it is. The further to the side the target is the less accurate has to do with angles and depths I think.
    When I mark a waypoint that is far off to the side I use a combination screen of Sidescan and map to find it again and then pinpoint it with down , 2D or best Livescope.

7. Member
    Why don’t you just long press the screen and select new waypoint?

if you are past the spot you’re marking, it’s obviously going to be behind you.

8. Member
    We’ve( me and Garmin tech on phone with me) checked GPS accuracy’s..good within 8ft is what it was showing. If I’m using clearvu for example and I mark a brush pile, it throws the mark WAY behind we’re the brush pile really is...I made the 90 degree turns as reference to show that after I made those turns,and then marked a pile under the boat, it throws the waypoint mark way back before I made the 90 degree turns..it should show the mark after I made the 90 degree turns. Go back and scan over the waypoint, nothing there..is not marking the waypoints on the graph where you were when you marked the object..

Support was telling me I was doing it wrong..so, went out on water, and let them talk me thur how they sat it should be done...same results..throws mark way off,not even close to where the spot was mark on the unit. If I use th Mark button on bottom right of screen, it drops waypoint where it should be.

You have to use pause to mark with this unit..you have to either hit pause, or press screen and move finger to bring up crosshairs, which then pauses the screen..
    Last edited by falconpilot; 07-24-2019 at 01:08 AM.

9. Member
    The mark button creates a waypoint at the boats location, not the item you want to mark.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumour2u View Post
    The mark button creates a waypoint at the boats location, not the item you want to mark.
    Also think this is your problem. I have done the same thing many times. Off the top of my head, pause screen, use crosshairs, use waypoint option(tear drop), then press back. If you create waypoint after the teardrop selection it marks your current location.

11. Member
    is your side vu inverted perhaps? if transducer installed backwards it could be ?
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

12. Member
    marking on side vu requires you drag from off screen to make cursor then hit wpt. when cursor on structure
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

13. Member
    Thanks Guy for the help...I went out today and it I'm now marking objects as I should. I'm not real sure what I was doing wrong as I'm doing the same thing I have, but its marking right now. Yes....pause, crossharid to object, tear drop, select symbol, back and unpause is what is working. I swear thats what I've been doing, but it worked today, so all is good for now.

14. Member
    Set the default waypoint icon and save yourself a step. Unless you like setting the icon every time.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Are you referring to the OP or are you saying you see this discrepancy also?
    Sorry, I was referring to OP. My waypoints seem pretty spot on. I think I always use the 2D to mark them though and it works as I think it should. I was curious if that same backtracking worked on SI mode (I think that it would). In reading some of the later comments perhaps it does have something to do with marking something well off to the side.