Thread: new champions

Question new champions

What seems to be the opinion of the new Charger/Champions. I don't hear anything about them and have never seen one on the water.
    Have they skimped on the finish out, or do they not take rough water as well ? Just wonder why they don't seem to be a big success. Any one have any opinions or facts pertaining to this subject ?? Would love to know the scoop.

2. Banned
    Have you gone to the Charger page? They have sold a few, but there’s several things that I think hurts them. 1 is cost, they are charging a premium for a boat that has outdated features, can’t even put a 12” graph in the console. What are they thinking there????

2. They (Charger) have a small dealer network, not many dealerships around and they don’t build many boats due to being a small company. But they don’t seem to be hurting for business.

When the talk of a 198 being built was floating around, I was certain that I was going to buy one. Then I had a dealership shoot me a quote and I thought there’s no freaking way that I’m going to pay what they are charging.

They are the same hulls, so the ride is the same.

3. Banned
    From the reviews of those who have actually bought one they are the Real McCoy. I'm sure with all the aftermarket mounts out there you could figure a way to console mount any size graph your little heart desires... As mentioned, check out the Charger Page... Charger is a great company with second to none customer service... Dan

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffcotten View Post
    What seems to be the opinion of the new Charger/Champions. I don't hear anything about them and have never seen one on the water.
    Have they skimped on the finish out, or do they not take rough water as well ? Just wonder why they don't seem to be a big success. Any one have any opinions or facts pertaining to this subject ?? Would love to know the scoop.

I have looked over several, and I believe they are built better than the later Champions...I owned one of the last in 09. As far as not being successful...they can't build them fast enough. Lead time is 8-12 weeks.

a friend was working @ a dealer here in 2017 and claimed if they had boats on hand they would have been sold..

6. Member
    Hope they sell a bunch! I might need a newer boat one day and they would give me options!

7. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I tend to agree with ToledoBendChamp that they are selling about as fast as they can kick them out the door. I definitely get the feeling they are producing more 198/210s than they are the other Charger bass boats. A lot are going to Japan. They are 100% Champ hulls. They've made some changes to the top cap, some really nice like the bilge & pump access and some I have a hard time wrapping my head around like the foot block on the passenger side. To me, it can be a trip hazard if you remove the passenger console. They split the livewell into two separate livewells. I don't particularly care for that, but I don't think it would be a deal breaker.

8. Member
    Charger has sold many 210's and 198's. If you want to get the low down on them call Kelly Power at Ulrich in Branson West Missouri.

9. Member
    I'm glad to hear that Charger is building a quality Champ. Also glad they are selling well. I just moved on Lake Conroe and we have ton's of Champions here but There is a Charger dealer a mile down the road from me. When I moved here in January they had 4 Charger/Champs in stock and today when I went by there they still had 3 of them. That's what made me wonder. I sure want the Champion name to stay as strong as it deserves.

10. Member
    If...the 210 would run...I would be looking at one. I may still look at one with a SHO. They are really nice rigs.

11. Member
    I have driven one 210 and crawled over a couple of others. They are really nice boats. The ride is really good and has a very solid feel to it. Are they a little pricey, maybe, but you are not getting a cookie cutter boat. Pick whatever color, stripe, carpet, seat, you want! You don't just have 6 choices. Looking at the resale value of the older Chargers and Champions, I don't think you can go wrong.

Charger is a small boat manufacturer with a small dealer network. That's fine by me too. Like Dan said, the customer service makes the difference.

I have heard of some people commenting on certain things that they don't like about the 210/198, but you have that with ANY boat on the market. As far as the graphs, that is not a big deal either in my opinion. I prefer to have mine removable and anyone running 2 units at the helm will have them on mounts anyway.

I wish Charger put as much effort into the 6 series as they have to the 210/198!

Just my 2 cents.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffcotten View Post
    I'm glad to hear that Charger is building a quality Champ. Also glad they are selling well. I just moved on Lake Conroe and we have ton's of Champions here but There is a Charger dealer a mile down the road from me. When I moved here in January they had 4 Charger/Champs in stock and today when I went by there they still had 3 of them. That's what made me wonder. I sure want the Champion name to stay as strong as it deserves.

The reason that 210 is still there is because it is a god awful color scheme. You order a special boat like that, you always take a chance of it not moving. The 198 they had in there sold within two weeks.

13. Member
    Impossible to be original Champion hulls! The molds are only good for about 5 years based on production use.

14. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Impossible to be original Champion hulls! The molds are only good for about 5 years based on production use.
    Charger splashed an original Champion hull to build their molds. Can't get any closer than that ...

Actually looked at two of them 210 and a 198 and I wasn't impressed with what I saw.

I sent pictures to Kelly Powers
    See ignorance daily

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bassin butch View Post
    Actually looked at two of them 210 and a 198 and I wasn't impressed with what I saw.

I sent pictures to Kelly Powers

Cosmetic quality, fit & finish or what concerned you?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    I turn molds 2.5 times per week and they'll last virtually forever with maintenance and repairs if they're built correctly in the beginning. What doesn't last is the styling. I can build you a brand new 1978 Glassmaster tri-hull runabout but customer's desires seem to change for some reason.

18. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Charger has molds 20 plus years old still going strong

19. Member
    I used to run a 1985 162 Foxfire. Loved that boat. Now in a Champ. Love this more. If I ever hit the lottery I would be in a 198 so fast Usain Bolt couldn't catch me.