Thread: New to me 198

New to me 198

As said above, new to me 2008 198. Has a 225 HPDI with a 10” Bob’s jack. I had a 1992 190 with a GT 200 for 20 years. Fresh rebuild on motor when I picked it up this spring and I ran it several times for the brake in time and yesterday was the first tournament. Had no problem with hole shot every time and at start of the tournament. First stop caught three fish and started filling the live well. Went to go to second spot and could not get on plane. Partner had to get up front for the rest of the day. Don’t tell me I carry to much stuff cause I know that but never had this problem with previous boat. This was the first time I filled the gas tank also... Also at one point I look back and my live wells are over flowing. My old boat had a timer that was 25, 50 and 100. This boat had auto and man. I know the man is used to fill and auto runs intermittently. The pumps run very quietly in this boat so I can’t tell how often they run.

How often do the pumps run?

Can someone tell me if this boats live well has a overflow? My old boat did and I can’t find one in this boat....

2. Banned
    Yes there was an overflow originally, never know what someone could have done. Check the pump, they might have been changed to 800’s, instead of 500’s and they might be pumping faster than the overflow can dump. Overflow should be at the tippy top of the wells, port front I believe, stick your head (or your phone) in there and look.

I have never timed my pumps.

3. Member
    I found the over flow on front side of tank, above the hydro air nozzle rendering that useless......

I will pull boat out of garage and fill live well with water and see what happens.

Other thing I thought of was this is the first time with two power poles on back end. Jack plate has a plate on it so maybe they might be dragging some now........
    Last edited by 92 Champ; 07-21-2019 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Wanted to add power pole thought

4. Member
    My 198 has the same problem 2 guys, 1/2 tank of fuel, 1 talon, full live wells, heat/humidity struggles to get on plane. I’m running a 25 pitch tempest plus. I usually start pumping water out of livewells if I know I will be moving. I always wanted to try a 4 blade in the summe

5. Banned
    Prob need to drop a pitch in prop due to the poles.

There is a hydro modification up in the stickies up top, I don’t remember which thread or how deep it
    is in the thread; but it’s up there. Pretty simple & cheap fix.

6. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    First, you might try different setting on motor height (raise it 1/4" at a time) since you have a Bob's plate on it. If you don't gain anything there, you might look at lowering the pitch as grout suggested.

7. Member
    Ok, so tell me about the plate?...… First time I've had a hyd jack plate. Do you lower it all the way to take off? Or do I find a sweet spot and forget about it?

Have a couple friends with different props. One has a tempest and one has a fury. I think both are three blades. My old boat had a four blade.

8. Banned
    Do your poles go up and down as the plate moves or are they stationary when the plate moves?

9. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 92 Champ View Post
    Ok, so tell me about the plate?...… First time I've had a hyd jack plate. Do you lower it all the way to take off? Or do I find a sweet spot and forget about it?
    I would set it to about 3.5" below the pad with the boat sitting on the trailer. See the thread How to measure prop to pad (with thanks to Duane Harper!!) pinned at the top of the forum page. If you don't have a gauge for the plate, mark it with a Sharpie so you can look back and see your mark. Load the boat for tournament day then go out and run it and record your speed and water pressure with it trimmed out running WOT. Stop, raise it 1/4" and repeat until you start to get a drop in speed or water pressure then lower it 1/4". Mark the plate again. That's your optimum setting and there's really no need to move it up & down any more unless you fish some really shallow water where you'd want to raise it slightly to get up on plane or if you're in rough water where you'd want to lower it some for better control & ride.

Do your poles go up and down as the plate moves or are they stationary when the plate moves?
    I'm going to guess that you have the brackets sandwiched between the plate and the transom with maybe a spacer at the bottom? Pictures always help ...
    Last edited by Tx Champ; 07-22-2019 at 10:28 AM.

10. Member
    Poles are bolted to sides of plate and do not go up and down.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 92 Champ View Post
    Poles are bolted to sides of plate and do not go up and down.

Thats good, my bro in laws poles go up & down, he can’t lower his plate without getting a ton of spray from the poles.

12. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar

There is a hydro modification up in the stickies up top, I don’t remember which thread or how deep it
    is in the thread; but it’s up there. Pretty simple & cheap fix.
    The hydro modification sticky thread is titled as such, and is the only subject in that thread.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lea View Post
    The hydro modification sticky thread is titled as such, and is the only subject in that thread.

Guess I’m not too overly observant!

14. Member
    My 210 is very sluggish with everything full. I have 2 poles as well. If you trim all the way down and raise your jackplate up close to max and it will help with the hole shot.